Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should i decline my offer from Cambridge? watch

Announcements
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Not if you were never going to get the grades in the first place.
    Well that's a good point. Even if the offer is accepted there's still another STEP in the way....

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Well that's a good point. Even if the offer is accepted there's still another STEP in the way....
    I don't feel that I lost anything, but I was nowhere near A*AA.

ReputationRep:
    If you're unsure on what to choose then maybe the best option would be to go to Cambridge and see if you like it there. If you don't like it you can just come back to Scotland and go to Edinburgh instead and they might even let you start at Edinburgh in 2nd year if you do 1 year at Cambridge. Cambridge is a massive opportunity so need to be absolutely certain before giving up a place there. It would be a lot easier to go to Cambridge and then change uni to Edinburgh if you don't like it than it would be the other way around. If you reject Cambridge you might regret it later on so maybe it's better to at least try it for 1 year at least and then transfer if you don't like it that way you'll have no regrets. But it's your choice you are clearly a very smart person so I'm sure you'll thrive wherever you choose to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by auburnstar)
    That's not strictly true. It's not a golden ticket You are more likely, but there is no guarantee, particularly in very competitive fields.

Oh and goes without saying that if you do a degree in eg Art History you would not be able to become an aeronautical engineer.

(I would mention Jake again, but I think I've overused that point by now xD)
    Trust me as an employer - competitive or not - if I see Cambridge on the CV - you’ve booted most of the competition out the window. Cambridge curricula generally more rigorous etc etc really does set you apart. So yes strictly true! And yes maybe not a golden ticket more like a platinum ticket.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by khanaa1)
    Trust me as an employer - competitive or not - if I see Cambridge on the CV - you’ve booted most of the competition out the window. Cambridge curricula generally more rigorous etc etc really does set you apart. So yes strictly true! And yes maybe not a golden ticket more like a platinum ticket.
    What sort of employer is a Medicine applicant?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What sort of employer is a Medicine applicant?
    :rofl:

Actually, it would be kind of interesting to get an *actual* top employer to answer some of the questions that TSRians have. I think a lot of people who haven't properly been in the job hunt (ie most of TSR who are A-level students) would be surprised by the answers.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    :rofl:

Actually, it would be kind of interesting to get an *actual* top employer to answer some of the questions that TSRians have. I think a lot of people who haven't properly been in the job hunt (ie most of TSR who are A-level students) would be surprised by the answers.
    Yes. There are actual employers (including me) and recruiters (eg J-SP ) on here. They generally tend to agree about that CBI chart.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Jono-Wolf)
    But surely in the example of Jake, you wouldn't consider him unemployed because of a lack of quality or anything. The fact that he has graduated from Cambridge means that he has the ability to hand pick which jobs and companies are most suited to his desires. He's able to be choosy. He has got some rejections yes, but he could very easily get employed the next day if he wanted to.

^^ That's just my opinion, correct me if I'm wrong!
    That's true, and the point about choosing not to get a job is also true, but I was just trying to say that since he has got some rejections then it's not technically true he can go get a job anywhere (which is what the OP said) since he has received rejections. If that makes sense. xD

I mean at the end of the day if you are going to Cam or Edinburgh or Imperial or similar you're still a hard-working person capable of doing good things. It does give you an advantage in terms of skill development and is a unique opportunity, but it's not going to make or break someone's career.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyber Ninja)
    Don't believe they care much about unis for research - going to Camb would help with accounting.

It just depends whether you think it's worth the extra £27,000 and not having your gf around, along with improved chance of part iii
    Going to Cambridge won’t give you an advantage for accounting. It’s probably the sector that cares less about uni attended, typically because of the volumes recruited.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna try not to re-hash too much what others have said

Things you have to consider:

1. Tuition is ONLY paid back once you start earning over 21000 a year. This is paid incrementally, so not to be excessive (it's relative to how much you earn unlike eg the US). Not to be depressing, but a significant number of graduates do not pay back their student loan in full. Until you start earning this amount, it is not wasted money, and if you don't earn over this threshold by age 30 (a factor you can't predict) it is cleared.
    😂

If only student debt was cleared by the time you were 30! That would be amazing!

Unfortunately it is after 30 years have passed not when you turn 30 years of age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khanaa1)
    Trust me as an early careers expert, your approach to screening applications is limited to a small minority of employers. Vast majority of employers fortunately do not take the attitude you do.

ReputationRep:
    On catching up with this thread, my two cents:

Choose the uni you will be happiest at. If a considerable factor in that happiness is your GF, then don’t underestimate it.

It seems the only impact your choice will have is the guaranteed place on the master course. But even that doesn’t factor in the possibility you could flunk your degree in Cambridge (unlikely), hate your degree or time in Cambridge so at best choose to not do another year there, or at worst drop out before even completing the UG degree.

Personally I’d be going for the Edinburgh option purely for money saved. People may say the debt is only paid off once you start earning X amount, but then you do have to pay it off and that money could be going to something else. By the time you get interest on that amount, the payback figure could be much closer to £50,000 or more considering you will also have a masters to pay back too . That £50,000 could be spent elsewhere in your lifetime - but then I am the person who doesn’t earn enough to not notice a couple/a few grand coming off my pay cheque each year.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Trust me as an early careers expert, your approach to screening applications is limited to a small minority of employers. Vast majority of employers fortunately do not take the attitude you do.
    And this specific case would be hypothetically comparing high achieving grads from Edinburgh and Cambridge... "even" IB/consultancy roles aren't going to wave the Tab straight through.

ReputationRep:
    And this specific case would be hypothetically comparing high achieving grads from Edinburgh and Cambridge... "even" IB/consultancy roles aren't going to wave the Tab straight through.
    Exactly. For those roles in Scotland, they would target Edinburgh more than Cambridge anyway (given grads are more likely to return close to home to work rather than work anywhere else, although Maths grads are one of the more geographically mobile groups).

ReputationRep:
    NO! That is a bit like saying “I have won the lottery- should I accept the money from Camelot?”
    Your gf will thank you once you take her to the Summer Balls.
    It is a once in a lifetime opportunity!
    Well done getting an offer!

ReputationRep:
    tbh i think that going to Edinburgh is sensible. you will be among your countrymen & near your beloved. you may decide that one degree is enough over the next few years & get a well paid job.

ReputationRep:
    Passing up an opportunity to study maths at Cambridge, and instead going to Edinburgh, which isn't even particularly good for maths? What a waste of talent if you ask me. Do not even take into account the fact that your gf studies at Edinburgh; your studies/future is more important.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    So glad J-SP is here to straighten things out.:daydreaming:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Slowbro)
    Passing up an opportunity to study maths at Cambridge, and instead going to Edinburgh, which isn't even particularly good for maths? What a waste of talent if you ask me. Do not even take into account the fact that your gf studies at Edinburgh; your studies/future is more important.
    If someone is hunting for a First in Maths, Edinburgh is a very good choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi scottsmith!

I'm afraid just about every couple I know who went to Uni together, aged 18 or 19, split up. One couple who stayed together actually did post-doctoral work together and had been married for a while by that stage. (They got divorced later!)

Please be careful, however loyal you want to be to your current girlfriend. Maybe the most loyal thing to do now is to have a full and frank conversation, one more time.

Also be careful in your 'planning' for Part III Maths at Cambridge. As another poster has said, there really is nothing like it anywhere else. I know an extremely able guy, someone who took a first in Maths at Cambridge just a few years ago. Part III was his original dream but he was scared off by what he saw Part III students having to deal with and how exceptional so many were, even compared to him. Some of the very best in the world will come through Part II, to be joined by others who are also some of the world's best from other universities, not least from South and East Asia. A fair few Part III starters have done 4 years of Uni Maths. And even they generally find it tough.

You will have to review where you are after two are three years at your Uni. It's great to have a dream and, indeed, an ambitious dream. But you will need, from Edinburgh, probably an exceptional first and show yourself that, on top of that, you have done additional high level work to be anywhere ready for Part III Maths at Cambridge.

Good luck to both you and your girlfriend!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.