Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    I've not seen talking over the lecturer as such, but I have seen gossiping in lectures that is enough of a distraction to other people to warrant a 'settle down'.

The main one I saw was the 'I know better than the lecturer' thing. On such occasions it's wasn't as much of an admonishment as a sarcastic quip reminding said disruptive influence of their place.

I wish my groups would talk a bit more in the seminars, I don't get paid enough to lecture at them :laugh:
    The know-it-all being dismantled is probably the closest thing to it that I have seen. It is a beautiful thing to behold, I admit. The look of defeat in those once smug eyes—almost makes it worth getting out of bed early to attend.

But that is always done in a professional, academic and genuine manner. No "put down"; just dissecting the argument piece by piece, and perhaps an accented "does that help?" to seal the deal.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder this too. I get that lectures might not always be that interesting, but why people feel it's okay to talk above whispering volume (or simply at whispering volume) and disturb others who are sitting around them, I don't know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    The know-it-all being dismantled is probably the closest thing to it that I have seen. It is a beautiful thing to behold, I admit. The look of defeat in those once smug eyes—almost makes it worth getting out of bed early to attend.

But that is always done in a professional, academic and genuine manner. No "put down"; just dissecting the argument piece by piece, and perhaps an accented "does that help?" to seal the deal.
    Haha, quite.

I recall one guy trying to shut down my supervisor over something or other and he simply replied with 'well, that's the voice of ignorance speaking'. Burn.

ReputationRep:
    I see. My point was twofold really. Firstly, I have never experienced someone talking over a lecturer. Lecturers are given infinitely more respect than schoolteachers. Maybe the people I went to uni with were more nerdy, hence more respectful.

Secondly, I have never seen a lecturer admonish a student for anything. There is mutual respect from student to academic, given both of you are adults at this stage in your education. An internationally recognised researcher wasting their time telling a student off? Strikes me as absurd; can't even imagine it.

To be honest, the chief problem with our seminars was people were unwilling to talk or respond to questions. Kind of the opposite issue!
    Awww Professor Halcrow - once had a 5 minute rant at a student who left the lecture theatre to go fill up their water bottle

ReputationRep:
    This annoys me so much.
    My 2 friends come into lectures late then talks through the whole time they are there. I try to ignore them and just carry on with work but its so distracting. Every few minutes people sitting around us would turn around and stare at us. They even have the nerve to complain about getting bad grades 🙄

ReputationRep:
    There's a particular Iecture I share with 3rd Years (I'm a postgrad), and one particular gaggle of 3rd Year girls always seems to sit in the row directly behind me, and whisper loudly throughout. At one point the lecturer (who is a very tolerant person) actually made a general comment about how whispers carry in that particular lecture room as a way of politely insinuating that they should stop it, but it didn't deter them. In the end, my lecturer very pointedly told them off and made a comment along the lines of: "we're all adults here, I shouldn't have to resort to telling fellow adults to be quiet when someone else is talking". I totally agree with this, because even if you find the lecture boring and resent having to show up for attendance, that doesn't mean politeness should go out of the window. This particular module is very popular too (the lecturer had to turn people away before the semester started so she wouldn't be over the numbers allowed), so if they really don't want to listen, they should think themselves lucky that they actually got to study this module in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    I see. My point was twofold really. Firstly, I have never experienced someone talking over a lecturer. Lecturers are given infinitely more respect than schoolteachers. Maybe the people I went to uni with were more nerdy, hence more respectful.

Secondly, I have never seen a lecturer admonish a student for anything. There is mutual respect from student to academic, given both of you are adults at this stage in your education. An internationally recognised researcher wasting their time telling a student off? Strikes me as absurd; can't even imagine it.

To be honest, the chief problem with our seminars was people were unwilling to talk or respond to questions. Kind of the opposite issue!
    I had an english lit lecturer last year who banned cell phones from being used in the lecture. And if he caught you he would call you out in front of everyone. He did the same thing with people talking during lectures as well. And he was really good at catching people.

ReputationRep:
    I remember one lecture, I was trying to listen to the lecturer and this guy kept speaking to me. I told him to shush and he was just like “Oh, do you want to listen to this?” Well... yeah, I am paying for it dipshit.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.