The Student Room Group

Getting into Nottingham with lower subject requirements?

Hey everyone,

I've applied to a bunch of universities for a Liberal Arts BA, but there's only two I'd consider (Nottingham and Royal Holloway). I've already received an unconditional from Royal Holloway for September 2018, but in short, because it's not a Russell Group, the location sucks, and because there's much better universities out there, I really want to go Nottingham. I ended up getting a 32 in the IB (which is the entry requirements for RHUL), and Nottingham requires a 32-36 for this course (which makes me already pushing it), and it also required a 6 in English HL. I was one mark off a 5, meaning I got a 4, and remarks didn't fix that. I called up today and they told me to hand in my results transcript anyways and they'll give it to the admissions officer, and we'll have to see what happens.

I haven't heard anything on Track from them since January 15th, whereas all the other universities have responded with conditionals or unconditionals. Because I originally got a 31 and remarks changed that to a 32, I am worried that before they weren't going to consider that 31. Now that I've sent the official results transcript with a 32, hopefully they might. The Liberal Arts BA is also fairly new, so I'm hoping that (hopefully) not many people would apply, meaning there could be places leftover by September?

I really want to get into Nottingham, but I'm worried because I got a 4 in English HL and not a 6, this would really skew my chances. Is there still a chance they could offer me an unconditional? Or if they reject me, can I call back in September and practically beg them to let me in?
Original post by norskyouth
Hey everyone,

I've applied to a bunch of universities for a Liberal Arts BA, but there's only two I'd consider (Nottingham and Royal Holloway). I've already received an unconditional from Royal Holloway for September 2018, but in short, because it's not a Russell Group, the location sucks, and because there's much better universities out there, I really want to go Nottingham. I ended up getting a 32 in the IB (which is the entry requirements for RHUL), and Nottingham requires a 32-36 for this course (which makes me already pushing it), and it also required a 6 in English HL. I was one mark off a 5, meaning I got a 4, and remarks didn't fix that. I called up today and they told me to hand in my results transcript anyways and they'll give it to the admissions officer, and we'll have to see what happens.

I haven't heard anything on Track from them since January 15th, whereas all the other universities have responded with conditionals or unconditionals. Because I originally got a 31 and remarks changed that to a 32, I am worried that before they weren't going to consider that 31. Now that I've sent the official results transcript with a 32, hopefully they might. The Liberal Arts BA is also fairly new, so I'm hoping that (hopefully) not many people would apply, meaning there could be places leftover by September?

I really want to get into Nottingham, but I'm worried because I got a 4 in English HL and not a 6, this would really skew my chances. Is there still a chance they could offer me an unconditional? Or if they reject me, can I call back in September and practically beg them to let me in?

All you can do is wait at this point. Begging in September won't get you anywhere really
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
All you can do is wait at this point. Begging in September won't get you anywhere really

Yeah that's what I'll have to do. But I was wondering if it's possible to call them back later this year if I get rejected now and ask if they could accept me? Especially cause I already have the entry requirement, it's just the subject part that I'm just below. Or is that extremely unlikely or there is no chance?
Yeah that's what I'll have to do. But I was wondering if it's possible to call them back later this year if I get rejected now and ask if they could accept me? Especially cause I already have the entry requirement, it's just the subject part that I'm just below. Or is that extremely unlikely or there is no chance?

It's unlikely they d change their mind.
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
It's unlikely they d change their mind.

Oh okay. But does it happen? Considering I actually have the overall entry requirement, just not the subject, is there any hope???
Oh okay. But does it happen? Considering I actually have the overall entry requirement, just not the subject, is there any hope???

I wouldn't put any hope in it as you don't meet their full requirements, I d only bother contacting them of they lower requirements in clearing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending