Turn on thread page Beta

Before uni I was seeing a guy (wasn't that serious) and it was cute and lovely but things ended. When I got to uni I started dating someone new but the two relationships weren't really comparable because it's completely different dating when you're living away from home. Things also moved at a different pace and it was generally how a normal relationship should be (ie at a good pace).
    We broke up nearly two years ago and since then I talked to a couple guys (at different times) but didn't date them. We had good conversations but I didn't want to take it further with them because they just weren't quite right and weren't the same standard personality wise as my ex. I knew them each for a few months btw, and chatted online and in real life so I think I got a good idea of their personalities, it wasn't that I wasn't giving them a chance.

I meet quite a lot of guys I'm attracted to, and I'm open to the idea of another relationship now but a few things are putting me off-

1. having to go through all the same stuff i've gone through with first two guys, telling them the same stories and introducing them to the same films, and doing the same cute stuff. I feel like i'm going to be wondering 'wait have I already told him this?/have we already talked about this?'. The first "relationship" was fun and exciting because it was all new to me. The second relationship was different because we were much more serious and actually bf/gf. But how do you make the third relationship feel different?

2. first guy was great but he has changed a lot so I don't miss him that much. second guy had an amazing personality, such a good match for me. haven't met a guy like him since. and when I do meet guys, I find myself comparing them and thinking they don't stack up to him.

basically i'm only ready to date if the guy is perfect but that's a bit silly.
    so how do you stop comparing how do you keep things feeling fresh and exciting? i guess it's because i've done everything around my uni city with my last boyfriend, so everything will either remind me of dates with my ex or just be like deja vu

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2018
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.