Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 11 and I'd really like a new laptop for college. I currently have a HP Compaq 2510q, which still works but I've had it since I was 10 and it has 2 black lines down the middle of the screen, so I feel like it's time to change.

Obviously the Macbook Air and Pro are the laptops everyone raves about, and the Pro is the one I have my eye on, but are they worth the money? Or is there something better I can buy for less instead of paying for a brand?

My options are:

a.) Fix and keep current laptop
    b.) Fix current laptop and trade for a newer one (and get a discount at Curry's)
    c.) Save for a Macbook
    d.) Give the money to my mum so I can buy it without paying and pay a bit each month.
    e.) Get something cheaper but just as good

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :-)

ReputationRep:
    I got the Asus zenbook ux410 or something like that for Uni, works perfectly and has excellent battery life.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bio 7)
    I got the Asus zenbook ux410 or something like that for Uni, works perfectly and has excellent battery life.
    Thank you I'll look into that one!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If all you care about is the looks and status of your laptop then you'll end up with a Macbook. If you care about value for money then get something else.

In terms of your options, it's difficult to say if it's worth keeping without knowing specs but odds are it's not. So fixing the screen or trying to trade it in would be a waste of money. We also don't know what you actually want the laptop for, what are you going into college to study? And what is your budget? What are you intending to use the laptop for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geolh)
    I'm in year 11 and I'd really like a new laptop for college. I currently have a HP Compaq 2510q, which still works but I've had it since I was 10 and it has 2 black lines down the middle of the screen, so I feel like it's time to change.

Obviously the Macbook Air and Pro are the laptops everyone raves about, and the Pro is the one I have my eye on, but are they worth the money? Or is there something better I can buy for less instead of paying for a brand?

My options are:

a.) Fix and keep current laptop
    b.) Fix current laptop and trade for a newer one (and get a discount at Curry's)
    c.) Save for a Macbook
    d.) Give the money to my mum so I can buy it without paying and pay a bit each month.
    e.) Get something cheaper but just as good

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :-)
    Assuming I'm looking up the right laptop, your current one came out in 2007, so is ancient by laptop standards (not worth investing in for repairs, and it won't fetch anything for trading in either).

MacBooks are good, I really like mine, but it depends if you're willing to spend that sort of money - people can debate all day about whether they're worth their price. Bear in mind that you'd be looking at spending £1200+ for a MacBook these days, whereas if you just want another fairly standard Windows machine you can get one for ~£400.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    If all you care about is the looks and status of your laptop then you'll end up with a Macbook. If you care about value for money then get something else.

In terms of your options, it's difficult to say if it's worth keeping without knowing specs but odds are it's not. So fixing the screen or trying to trade it in would be a waste of money. We also don't know what you actually want the laptop for, what are you going into college to study? And what is your budget? What are you intending to use the laptop for?
    Hi, I'm intending to take the laptop with me to college every day (UK equivalent of junior and senior year) to study psychology, Spanish and law and/or maths (undecided). My budget is absolutely no more than £1000 (probably less tbh) because I'm paying for it myself. I need something lightweight so I can keep it with me but also something that functions well (e.g, for essay writing and websites).

Value for money is more important than status for me.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you're using it for tbh. I'm a graphic designer so I use a Macbook Pro as it is standard, and pretty much expected, for the creative industry. Everything else, especially for gaming, then a PC is better. My friends use Surface Pro which seems popular for students and is a hybrid PC tablet. If you're just going to use it for general internet browsing and assignments in Microsoft Office then you can get something much cheaper; a decent one will cost £300-400.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by geolh)
    Hi, I'm intending to take the laptop with me to college every day (UK equivalent of junior and senior year) to study psychology, Spanish and law and/or maths (undecided). My budget is absolutely no more than £1000 (probably less tbh) because I'm paying for it myself. I need something lightweight so I can keep it with me but also something that functions well (e.g, for essay writing and websites).

Value for money is more important than status for me.
    So nothing too taxing and no specific software I guess then. That makes it nice and simple. You have two main options:

Buy a cheap laptop (something around £400-500) that should last you the 2 years at college and may still be fine for university if that's your choice afterwards. For that I'd recommend something like this although any generic i5, 8GB RAM laptop will suffice for what you want.

Buy something closer to the top of your budget, such as a premium ultrabook like the Dell XPS 13. You'll get better build quality, it'll be lighter, etc. and should last longer based on that. I wouldn't necessarily recommend taking a £1000 laptop to college everyday, although tbh there's really no need to.

If you're looking at value for money, I'd be going for option 1, unless you really value lightweight portability. The laptop I linked above for example is half the price of a Macbook Air but more powerful. Bit of a no brainer really

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for the advice! I've gone for the Lenovo Ideapad 320s and love it! :-)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Moved this to the Laptops, netbooks and tablets sub-forum

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.