Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

DOFE on your period? HELP. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    so my period is due on my practise walk which is overnight (bronze) i cant really ask my leader as he is also my science teacher and thicc af so i cant really ask him lol. like is it acceptable to bury pads/tampons in carrier bags in the woods. i really dont wanna lug them about tbh.

Had the same experience, yes you could but to be better for the environment maybe find a bin or even wait until you are at the campsite and put it in the bin there. The practise walk is absolutely excruciating for your body- you will ache so much everywhere, but I promise you as youre used to it then the real expedition is hard, but a lot easier. I miss d of e so much I enjoyed spending time with my friends and the idea of being free without adults is nice. Good luck
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I had this issue when I partook in my Bronze award. I would firstly recommend asking the teacher if there are going to be any toilets (some of the places that I stayed had toilets and some didn't, plus it's not an unreasonable question to ask so your teacher won't get suspicious).

If there is not a toilet available, wait until you are at a place where there will be bins available or close by as dogs could dig up anything buried.

It is really tough physically but so much fun so I hope you enjoy it and don't get too nervous.

How long until your practice walk? Because I managed to get some medication (pretty sure it was just birth control) from my doctor just to prolong my period from happening for a couple of days.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    I supervise DoE at my school so we have to handle period issues often! I'm the female teacher they take with them so that the girls don't have to talk to the male teachers.

Dumping your things along the walk is generally a bad idea - it could be really bad for wildlife. You'll find that you're probably actually not that remote for bronze and you'll have an opportunity to look at your route and plan toilet trips. There's the option of a cup that you can throw the contents out, kick some dirt over it, rinse with some water and off you go again. At least then you're not leaving behind plastic that could potentially harm wildlife - part of your agreement is that you'll leave nothing behind. Cups also tend to need dealing with less frequently - we had a couple of girls learn to use them so that they wouldn't have period issues during DofE. If you really don't want to handle your period during the weekend, you should be able to postpone it if you ask your GP using the pill or a one-off pill.

Any school that has girls on the walk is going to take this into consideration when looking at routes. Try not to worry about it too much - we don't want girls getting themselves into a state. Make sure you take extra care of yourself as you'll not be at full strength and it does affect your walking ability.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Get your GP to prescribe you norethisterone to delay your period, it worked absolutely fine for me. You have to start taking it three days before your period is due.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.