The Student Room Group

GCSE Required for Cambridge university.

I am going to be taking 2 of my GCSEs this year and the rest next year. I have been planning to go Cambridge university since young and was wondering what kind of grades do I need to get.
All As at least or all A* or a mixture?
Original post by Kuchan
I am going to be taking 2 of my GCSEs this year and the rest next year. I have been planning to go Cambridge university since young and was wondering what kind of grades do I need to get.
All As at least or all A* or a mixture?

Cambridge has quite a relaxed GCSE min policy, but it doesnt do you any harm to do well. More interested in A levels and other aspects of your application.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements
There is no single answer for this, it depends on your individual circumstances. The average successful candidate has 7A*, but if you don't think you'll reach that, please don't be put off completely! Especially if you don't go to a great school, Cambridge will take that into account and cut you some slack with your results.
GCSEs are only one small part of the admissions process and an application which is strong in other areas can make up for lower gcse grades.

if Cambridge has been your dream since you were young and you think you have a good chance of reaching the standard offer for your course at A level, I encourage you to just go for it and apply. You don't want to be wondering 'what if?' for the rest of your life!

best of luck :smile:
there's this one legend who got into cambridge with 2 B's and 4C's , he got amazing A-levels though (A*AA i think)

look up ibz mo :smile:
Original post by eliza154
There is no single answer for this, it depends on your individual circumstances. The average successful candidate has 7A*, but if you don't think you'll reach that, please don't be put off completely! Especially if you don't go to a great school, Cambridge will take that into account and cut you some slack with your results.
GCSEs are only one small part of the admissions process and an application which is strong in other areas can make up for lower gcse grades.

if Cambridge has been your dream since you were young and you think you have a good chance of reaching the standard offer for your course at A level, I encourage you to just go for it and apply. You don't want to be wondering 'what if?' for the rest of your life!

best of luck :smile:

Thank you 😊

Quick Reply

Latest