Turn on thread page Beta

How do i revise for English language??*IN LESS THAN 24 HOURS* watch

ReputationRep:
    I have a mock in two days time and i am slightly unprepared.In my last mock exam for English language i did not revise at all and ended up managing to get a band 6 but now i obvs need to revise to see what else i am capable of and also since its our last mock exam after we sit our real exam in May.

I need some help/last minute advice on revision for Eng language. HELPPP ME!!!.
    I got a few questions:
    -Shall i start of with question 5 since its time consuming??
    -Do i read the extract whilst analysing or read once then analyse??
    -How long shall i spend on question 5??

ReputationRep:
    Somehow managed an 8 in my mocks with no revision, actually pretty proud of that tbh since I was getting 5s before.

I'd advise doing the questions in this order:
    1 - Pretty simple and straight forward, doesn't take much time or effort to get the marks on.
    3 - The reason I say do question 3 next is because it asks you to look at both sources whereas question 2 asks you to look at one. If you do question 2 and read through one source by the time you get to question 3 you're probably going to have to read it over again as well as the second source so you're just spending more time reading.
    2 - ^^^
    4 - It's just question 4, not too hard in all honesty.
    5 - I would still keep this one for last, off the top of my head I think I spent around 40 minutes on this question. ALWAYS start with a plan, your teachers probably go on about this all the time but it really does help... or at least me. It doesn't need to be anything really complicated, just bullet points so you know how the flow of your answer will be.

So to answer your questions:
    "Shall i start of with question 5 since its time consuming?"
    I personally wouldn't, but since this is a mock you can experiment and try to do it. If it doesn't work out, well, hey at least if wasn't your actual GCSE.

"Do I read the extract whilst analysing or read once then analyse?"
    I'd say this is personal preference. I normally read the source, underline anything I think might be worthwhile and then look back over everything I underlined afterwards.

"How long shall i spend on question 5?"
    Hmm... try to aim for 45 minutes to be safe. But if you can more time that'd be better, less time and you might be pushing it a little. Back in Year 9 when I did a mock paper I ended up only having 15 minutes for my Q5 and things did not go well...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pqndachan)
    Somehow managed an 8 in my mocks with no revision, actually pretty proud of that tbh since I was getting 5s before.

I'd advise doing the questions in this order:
    1 - Pretty simple and straight forward, doesn't take much time or effort to get the marks on.
    3 - The reason I say do question 3 next is because it asks you to look at both sources whereas question 2 asks you to look at one. If you do question 2 and read through one source by the time you get to question 3 you're probably going to have to read it over again as well as the second source so you're just spending more time reading.
    2 - ^^^
    4 - It's just question 4, not too hard in all honesty.
    5 - I would still keep this one for last, off the top of my head I think I spent around 40 minutes on this question. ALWAYS start with a plan, your teachers probably go on about this all the time but it really does help... or at least me. It doesn't need to be anything really complicated, just bullet points so you know how the flow of your answer will be.

So to answer your questions:
    "Shall i start of with question 5 since its time consuming?"
    I personally wouldn't, but since this is a mock you can experiment and try to do it. If it doesn't work out, well, hey at least if wasn't your actual GCSE.

"Do I read the extract whilst analysing or read once then analyse?"
    I'd say this is personal preference. I normally read the source, underline anything I think might be worthwhile and then look back over everything I underlined afterwards.

"How long shall i spend on question 5?"
    Hmm... try to aim for 45 minutes to be safe. But if you can more time that'd be better, less time and you might be pushing it a little. Back in Year 9 when I did a mock paper I ended up only having 15 minutes for my Q5 and things did not go well...
    Thank you this has helped me so much,very much appreciated.

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.