Turn on thread page Beta

URGENT! GCSE subject choices PLEASE CLICK IM SRS watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Im in year 9 and have 2 days left until i must confirm my GCSE choices.

I can only choose up to 4 in these subjects and i would prefer to choose max 3 of the easy but valuable GCSE's

Heres my previous assesment grades:
    RS : 6 AND ITS COMPULSORY LMAO
    ENGLISH : 7 -AQA
    MATHS- 7 -EDEXCEL
    BIOLOGY- 7 -AQA (much capable of getting 9)
    CHEMISTRY: 8 - AQA(much capable of getting 9)
    PHYSICS: 7 (weak subject) -AQA
    ART: 9
    COMPUTING : 8 (not interested in doing this tbh)
    Drama: 9 (keep getting constant 9's in this since year 8) used to get level 6c in year 7 lmao
    French: 6 NOT CONSIDERING ANY LANGUAGES LMAO tell me whats easier. french or spanish
    SPANISH: 7 NOT CONSIDERING ANY LANGUAGES LMAO tell me whats easier. french or spanish
    Geography : 9
    History: 9 I LOVE IT BUT TELL ME WHATS LIKE BETTER?
    Music : 6 (dont even)
    PE: 6 (dont even)

And heres the options thingys:

Fine Art, textiles graphics, 3d design
    buisness studies
    drama
    french
    spanish
    geography
    german
    history
    hospitality and catering
    information technology
    mucic
    photography
    pe
    psychology
    sociology

HELP ;/ ME RN(((

ReputationRep:
    I would do geography and history if i was you since ur so good and either art or drama and psychology. Its really good. I wouldn't do all 'hard' subjects so that you can focus on your cores cuz it gets a struggle near exams unless youre really determined and all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jarryjam)
    I would do geography and history if i was you since ur so good and either art or drama and psychology. Its really good. I wouldn't do all 'hard' subjects so that you can focus on your cores cuz it gets a struggle near exams unless youre really determined and all

So i don't know but i really want to choose just one from history and geography

and is it necessary to choose and mfl to get into uni for degrees masters etc

and, idc about WHAT subjects im basically choosing tbh but i wanna choose subjects which i only have to do little revision 4 and easily get a 9 tbh like really minimal revision

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by subjectsurgent)
    So i don't know but i really want to choose just one from history and geography

and is it necessary to choose and mfl to get into uni for degrees masters etc

and, idc about WHAT subjects im basically choosing tbh but i wanna choose subjects which i only have to do little revision 4 and easily get a 9 tbh like really minimal revision
    Honestly gcses dont mater as long as you have your cores an have good grades. Id just do something you enjoy. Im doing geography health and social psychology and food. Just do something you like and maybe pick a coursework one? dont get too stressed. It goes so quickly haha a levels more important for uni. History is more enlish and geography is more science. So whatever u like
    I did geography cuz i like it more for the exam for history you have to write long ass answers so no thank you like 16 markers where as geography and you can just wing it.. for me anyways

ReputationRep:
    Unless you are carrying on those options to A Level, then what you choose does not matter.

Try pick the ones you enjoy most, not the ones you currently find (or think you will find) the easiest.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I’m studying sociology and love it!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Probably not the best person to give advice on what GCSEs to take since I made very poor decisions when it came to mine...

Just do a mix of what you find easy and what you think will look good. If you're looking to take either History or Geography, take the one you prefer the exam format of. Lots of writing vs shorter questions with some 8 markers. Just from personal experience I wouldn't take art but do it if you're really invested in it. It's time consuming and you need to make sure that your coursework is good starting from the beginning of Year 10 otherwise you'll have lots of catch up for that since coursework is 60% of your grade.

So, to conclude I guess, since you like History and are clearly good at it, just take it. Geography if you want to do it and the same with art. (Although, again, I would advise you away from art.)

ReputationRep:
    Try to pick the ones you enjoy most because at the end of the day , unless you are going to do it at A level, you just need to get the best grades possible and in 2 years you will have to sit the exam.

From the look of your results it is going to be History, Geography and Drama and maybe art (just be aware that there is a lot of coursework)

Just try to pick what you enjoy and what you have an interest in so you can get good grades

ReputationRep:

I can only choose up to 4 in these subjects and i would prefer to choose max 3 of the easy but valuable GCSE's

MATHS- 7 -EDEXCEL
    Drama: 9 (keep getting constant 9's in this since year 8) used to get level 6c in year 7 lmao
    French: 6 NOT CONSIDERING ANY LANGUAGES LMAO tell me whats easier. french or spanish
    SPANISH: 7 NOT CONSIDERING ANY LANGUAGES LMAO tell me whats easier. french or spanish

buisness studies
    drama
    french
    spanish
    geography
    german
    history
    hospitality and catering
    information technology
    mucic
    photography
    pe
    psychology
    sociology

HELP ;/ ME RN(((

Hi! As a current year 11 right now, it’s not about taking the “easiest” subject. The main two factors you should consider when choosing your options are:

• do you like the subject?
    • will you need it for a-level?

for example, if you want to do history at a level, or are pursuing a career in history, its best if you take one of them at GCSE, as it helps at a-level.

secondly, this new GCSE has made all of the subjects rather difficult, so although some are easier than others in terms of skill, it’s subjective to opinion, and most of them are the same level of difficulty.

I don’t have much experience with the social sciences (psychology/sociology) as our school only offers them at a-level.

Hospitality and Catering? I’ve never heard of it before sorry.

History - nearly all of much friends took this subject, and one thing i’ve learned from them is to ONLY take it if you like it A LOT, and if you are good at writing. many people regret taking it instead of geography, but it’s all about preference. From what i’ve heard, the course is quite boring, and centres The Cold War, and Weimar Germany? I think there’s others but i’m not sure, it depends on your exam board.

Only take music if you enjoy it a lot, and want to pursue it in the coming years.

Geography- i do OCR B and i really like it, but it’s about preference.

Languages - You may not enjoy them at all, and if your school says that it’s not compulsory to take one then you don’t need to. However, it looks a lot better on university applications if you studied a language, especially UCL- who will ask you to do a language course if you haven’t done it at GCSE. From what i’ve heard, spanish is easier than french, but i do german and chinese.

Art requires patience and a lot of after school effort, Drama - if you enjoy acting, take it, but make sure you’re aware there is a lot of writing involved too.

Business Studies - Im doing that and economics as a joint GCSE, I don’t know how different your course is, but it’s interesting to me, and rather straightforward.

I think i’ve covered everything - your grades so far are exceptionally high, and you shouldn’t stop aiming for them, remember though enjoying a subject helps you do so much better than hating it. It motivates you more. Also those grades you’ve been given are very early too, and they are subject to change, with more serious predicted grades from mock exams. don’t stress! and good luck, if you need anything else let me know

ReputationRep:

MATHS- 7 -EDEXCEL

buisness studies
    drama
    french
    spanish
    geography
    german
    history
    hospitality and catering
    information technology
    mucic
    photography
    pe
    psychology
    sociology

HELP ;/ ME RN(((
    As you’re already getting grade 9s in Art, Drama, Geography and History, they look like brilliant options for you to take as you’d probably do really well and get high grades!

On the other hand, I honestly think maybe you should reconsider doing a language, I do French at GCSE (I’m predicted an 8 and definitely taking A Level French!) but apparently Spanish is easier (and you’re getting a 7 in that too!) and a language looks brilliant on your CV if you have one a GCSE level!

If you want the high grades, go for the subjects in which you’re getting 9s, but if you want to look really good on your CV a language will do that for you

ReputationRep:
    Which of your subjects do you enjoy the most? It's better to pick subjects that you are both good at and enjoy. None of the GCSEs are relatively easy so its best to pick what you are good at.

Since the GCSE specs changed this & last year, hardly any of the new specs contain coursework.
    It seems as though you are good in most of your subjects, but I warn you now, history for example, gets much harder at GCSE.
    I used to really enjoy my history lessons in year 9, but now that I have done year 10 and am currently year 11, i find that history just becomes a chore and the essay style exam questions can be so difficult to answer.

It isn't essential to choose a language, I do spanish, but i assure you it is not easy. They say that doing a language at GCSE and A-level, betters your chances at certain courses at Uni, and for particular jobs, it makes you look more desirable against someone who isn't bilingual for example.

But I think you should just pick the subjects you really enjoy. You have to do them for the next two years, so it's not in your best interests to select a subject you have no interest in. It's also helpful if you have some idea what you want to do with your life, but I didn't and so just picked a broad range of classes of which I enjoyed.

Hope this helps

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
  3. Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.