Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    So tomorrow I have a meeting with my potential PhD supervisor.

I'm really stuck on what to wear - should I go comfy or formal?

ReputationRep:
    I always wear my normal clobber for anything like this. Same for conferences or whatever else, but I am a bit of a reprobate so...
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)

Smart comfy. Try and drag yourself out of tracky bottoms or jeans with ripped knees, but no need to suit up - you've seen what lecturers in your field wear, just go for similar. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)

If it's a decent university, just wear your normal clothes and make sure they're clean. That's all there is to it. They won't care what you're wearing and they certainly won't be wowed by you wearing a suit.

If it's not a decent university, wear a suit. They'll think you're the sort of person who might attract research money.

Amend the above if necessary in accordance with what you know or can find out about the potential supervisor.

ReputationRep:
    Black jeans and nice top (female) or shirt (male)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    just try and look normal and unthreatening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    just try and look normal and unthreatening.
    Agreed - not looking threatening is important. An example of what to avoid:

Name:  a.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  31.2 KB

Other than that, seriously, don't worry about it. Just wear your normal clothes. They won't let you down. Sure, you can try to maximise the contribution your clothes make to your chances, by considering several different attire options, what impression this or that kind of shoes or belt or top will give. But the extra contribution that the optimisation of your clothing might possibly make compared to the impression you'd give if you wear your normal clothes would probably be very small, and you could mess it all up by looking superficial and as if you underestimated the potential supervisor's intelligence and seriousness. This is unless your potential supervisor is some kind of fool of course, but I'm assuming they're not. You look OK in your normal clothes, don't you? So wear them.

Then spend time on other aspects of preparation - ones that are about what you're going to say, what you're going to ask, and what the potential supervisor might say and ask. Make a list of cool things you could say that will cause attention spikes and try to say one or two of them as if off the cuff. That kind of thing. And remember that you're interviewing the supervisor as much as they are interviewing you. Good luck!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.