M465 - Motion for annual Bank of England audit watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    What is this?/I'm confused
    Hi there. If you're confused as to what is going on here then you are probably new to this section of TSR. This is a Model House of Commons, a forum where we emulate the structure of the Real Life House of Commons as an excuse to debate politics.

If you are seeing this and you want to get involved in the debate, please feel free. You do not need to join a party, get approval or join any group to get stuck in right away. If you enjoy it and you do want to join a party then you can do so here. If you have any questions or need any help please message me. I am the current speaker of the house and part of my role involves offering impartial advice to new members so I will always be happy to answer what questions you have. Alternatively, you can read the new members guide to get advice on a wide range of issues.

Note: Please refrain from making comments about how we spend our free time. It is our free time to spend.

M465 - Motion for annual Bank of England audit, Joecphillips seconded by CountBrandenberg

This House believes that the Government should begin an audit of the Bank of England under parliament scrutiny. As far as I know, there is no audit by parliament on a regular basis, and we have never really seen their so called 'books' as they never reveal them. I and the house firmly believe we need an audit of the bank under strict parliament scrutiny, by a separate committee appointed by the treasury. I am aware that there are independent auditors, but it is more democratic if parliament quizzes the officials at the BoE regularly. The BoE are dangerously autonomous so I think this is a step worth taking.

Note: This is actually a motion written by heri2rs a year ago that he wanted submitting before he became inactive.

ReputationRep:
    Abstain until I see the rest of the debate. Dont know enough about it.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Abstain.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I am also not the most knowledgeable on the topic, but the very phrase "The BoE are dangerously autonomous" is enough for me to say nay to this motion straight away.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Strong nay; it is the BoE's autonomy and independence from Parliament which makes it beneficial to our country (there are, however, certain reforms to the bank I came out in support of last term).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Saunders16)
    Strong nay; it is the BoE's autonomy and independence from Parliament which makes it beneficial to our country (there are, however, certain reforms to the bank I came out in support of last term).
    Hear, hear.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    I think that we could benefit from an audit under Parliamentary scrutiny, though thinking on the issue now I feel like maybe every year is too often. It’s not something I thought about when Joe showed me the motion and in the interest of keeping the BoE’s independence, I’d suggest such an audit happens less frequently
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by LifeIsFine)
    I am also not the most knowledgeable on the topic, but the very phrase "The BoE are dangerously autonomous" is enough for me to say nay to this motion straight away.
    I'm inclined to agree with this.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    The last thing the establishment needs is more paperwork.

ReputationRep:
    The BOE is independent from parliament and should remain that way. We don't need the parliament to get more involved. Nay

ReputationRep:
    Straight Nay for me here
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/-/me...1D4319127A6A93

There you go, full annual statements including accounts audited by KPMG.

ReputationRep:
    The autonomy of the BoE is very important and I'm not sure what the proposer wants to audit. Nay.

ReputationRep:
    Aye
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    The autonomy of the BoE is very important and I'm not sure what the proposer wants to audit. Nay.
    I'm more concerned with why the KPMG audits are insufficient.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Tommy1boy)
    Abstain until I see the rest of the debate. Dont know enough about it.
    (Original post by CountBrandenburg)
    I think that we could benefit from an audit under Parliamentary scrutiny, though thinking on the issue now I feel like maybe every year is too often. It’s not something I thought about when Joe showed me the motion and in the interest of keeping the BoE’s independence, I’d suggest such an audit happens less frequently
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    I'm inclined to agree with this.
    Unless they are wanting audits more extensive than are already required as part of compiling annual reports this motion calls for taxpayers to pay to duplicate work that is already being done.

Further the issues that some find with the BoE cannot be resolved via audit, they're issues with the very nature of central banking.

ReputationRep:
    I will be voting against this motion.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    all I can say is that I echo those saying that the BoE needs to stay independent
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Division!

Clear the lobbies!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.