Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Fitness/Training/Gym Talk (If you ain't given up on their new years resolutions) watch

ReputationRep:
    I haven't seen a discussion like this and I wanted to make it so people could post their training plans/goals, and if anyone needed help or advice on how they can improve their fitness and overall health.

I got into fitness and the gym as i was struggling with a break up, loss of a family member and severe mental health issues and it turned out to be my savior. Currently i weight train 4 times a week (push/pull split) and do cardio twice a week. I try to stick to around 1500 calories to shred belly fat so my abs become more defined.

What are your goals/training plans like?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I really want to shift my belly fat into muscle, and maybe lose a bit of weight, a couple of kgs would be nice so I'm under 60 (last I checked I was 61). I'm pretty skinny on my legs and my arms, but I look 4 months pregnant if I wear tight clothing, it's totally out of proportion.

I'm starting off small, going to the gym once a week and then I will up it to 2, then 3 etc as it becomes more a part of my routine. I also bought some 3kg dumbbells I've been lifting 6 times a week. I started out at 15 reps and have working my way up to 60 in only a few weeks. I know it seems like a small amount but for me, someone who has no upper arm strength at all (seriously I'm weirdly weak) I'm proud of myself.

And then there's monitoring my diet which is tricky. I'm a sucker for chocolate so it's hard to cut that down. I need to eat regularly to keep my blood pressure and blood sugars up, and it's so far difficult to find a snack that will maintain these effectively. If you have any suggestions, would be great. I work in a store so whatever snack I have needs to be something small I can nibble on during my shift but nothing that makes me drink a lot e.g. nuts because they break into little pieces and need to be washed down.

ReputationRep:
    During my gap year I put on a bit of weight and first semester back at university I was eating horrendously.

I've now started doing the BBG programme and on week 3, started meal prepping and feeling much better in myself

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to maintain the muscle I've gained now that my gym membership has ran out. My plan is to do hill sprints and bodyweight workouts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    I really want to shift my belly fat into muscle, and maybe lose a bit of weight, a couple of kgs would be nice so I'm under 60 (last I checked I was 61). I'm pretty skinny on my legs and my arms, but I look 4 months pregnant if I wear tight clothing, it's totally out of proportion.

I'm starting off small, going to the gym once a week and then I will up it to 2, then 3 etc as it becomes more a part of my routine. I also bought some 3kg dumbbells I've been lifting 6 times a week. I started out at 15 reps and have working my way up to 60 in only a few weeks. I know it seems like a small amount but for me, someone who has no upper arm strength at all (seriously I'm weirdly weak) I'm proud of myself.

And then there's monitoring my diet which is tricky. I'm a sucker for chocolate so it's hard to cut that down. I need to eat regularly to keep my blood pressure and blood sugars up, and it's so far difficult to find a snack that will maintain these effectively. If you have any suggestions, would be great. I work in a store so whatever snack I have needs to be something small I can nibble on during my shift but nothing that makes me drink a lot e.g. nuts because they break into little pieces and need to be washed down.
    Seems good mate, strictly speaking you can't actually turn fat into muscle, but nutrition and consistency is key. Focus on form and getting that mind muscle connection and try and eat as clean as you can. Drinking lots of water helps, be patients and you'll see results. If what you're describing your body type accurately then you have the body type thats classed as 'skinny fat The best way to overcome this is by either bulking up or going on a cut

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11singhd)
    I haven't seen a discussion like this and I wanted to make it so people could post their training plans/goals, and if anyone needed help or advice on how they can improve their fitness and overall health.

I got into fitness and the gym as i was struggling with a break up, loss of a family member and severe mental health issues and it turned out to be my savior. Currently i weight train 4 times a week (push/pull split) and do cardio twice a week. I try to stick to around 1500 calories to shred belly fat so my abs become more defined.

What are your goals/training plans like?
    when is your leg day tho?
    I try and go 2 or 3 times a week but having two 2 hour practices with my team plus an hour SnC makes going gym hard. Also, it's hard to improve when I have so much training and games too but my goals are 1. 100 kg bench 2. 140kg squat 3. 80 kg hang clean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buci98)
    when is your leg day tho?
    I try and go 2 or 3 times a week but having two 2 hour practices with my team plus an hour SnC makes going gym hard. Also, it's hard to improve when I have so much training and games too but my goals are 1. 100 kg bench 2. 140kg squat 3. 80 kg hang clean
    Knew a leg day comment was coming ahahha, seems good mate fitting in gym is hard especially around studies and other commitments but if you can manage your time well and even get session in before school/work, then it's worth it

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2018
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.