Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I received an offer from Durham to study english lit and I was really happy because it was my first choice for uni, today I got an email from Stephenson college to say I'd been allocated a place there.

I'm kind of unsure what to think because I basically had my heart set on St. Cuthberts, I don't think it'll massively change my thoughts about Durham or my experience if I did go- just wanted to ask current students their experience?

Thanks
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll struggle to find anything definitive in this sense as Stephenson is moving to Durham city next year from Stockton. So even though it's been established a few years, it will be a pretty new experience for everyone. I am currently at Josephine Butler however which I believe is where Stevo is moving to, it's a lovely part of Durham to live in and not nearly as far away as everyone would have you believe

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I've actually been allocated to Stephenson College as well - I'll be doing Ancient History but my sister is also going to Durham and she will be on your course Don't worry a lot of people don't get their first choice of college but everyone says that no matter which one you end up in you like it. Even though I haven't experienced the college itself, with it not moving officially until September, I do know someone who is a part of Josephine Butler (the college which is in the same area) and she absolutely loves it.I've spoken to quite a few of the university students and they all say really nice things about each of their colleges so I think it should all be goodAt first I was a little worried about the distance from the city centre but it really isn't bad and we will also live right by the park and ride which I've been told we only have to pay £1 for an entire day. Just to let you know Idk, I hope this maybe helped?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamellody)
    Hi! I've actually been allocated to Stephenson College as well - I'll be doing Ancient History but my sister is also going to Durham and she will be on your course Don't worry a lot of people don't get their first choice of college but everyone says that no matter which one you end up in you like it. Even though I haven't experienced the college itself, with it not moving officially until September, I do know someone who is a part of Josephine Butler (the college which is in the same area) and she absolutely loves it.I've spoken to quite a few of the university students and they all say really nice things about each of their colleges so I think it should all be goodAt first I was a little worried about the distance from the city centre but it really isn't bad and we will also live right by the park and ride which I've been told we only have to pay £1 for an entire day. Just to let you know Idk, I hope this maybe helped?
    Hi!! I've been allocated there as well, for law the only thing I'm a little concerned about is the catering system... Not sure that I'll be able to cook for myself every single day lol. Also, are you interested in starting a group chat for ppl who have been allocated to Stephenson college? X Gabrielle.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that'd be great!

ReputationRep:
    Same! I'm in Stephenson and I'm doing law too. I've met a couple of people the same as us.

ReputationRep:
    Yo is there a group chat for people allocated to Stephenson or not ?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    hey guys can you all pm me with your whatsapp so I can go ahead and make a groupchat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by agnkes)
    Hi, I received an offer from Durham to study english lit and I was really happy because it was my first choice for uni, today I got an email from Stephenson college to say I'd been allocated a place there.

I'm kind of unsure what to think because I basically had my heart set on St. Cuthberts, I don't think it'll massively change my thoughts about Durham or my experience if I did go- just wanted to ask current students their experience?

Thanks
    One of our team is from Stephenson - she really likes it there. None of us got our first choice of college and it worked out pretty well for us. Colleges are almost all great at getting you involved. Don't worry about not ending up in Cuth's - Stephenson has a huge community atmosphere (because they were so far away previously, made everybody a bit closer together) and a lot of college-based activities and societies. You'll find a bunch of people to get involved with

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    I'll be starting my second year and I'm in Stephenson College. There's not much I can tell you as we are moving this year from Stockton (a campus about an hour away from Durham). However, everyone within it is so lovely and you'll fit right in! I loved my year in Stephenson. I felt really at home and this year I and a couple of other girls will be fresher reps and we'd love to chat to you and help you settle in when you arrive. The fresher events are amazing and there's something for everyone! I hope you'll love it as much as I did. If you have anymore questions ask away

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    Hello folks! I’ve been allocated to Stephenson college myself, I’m coming from Ireland so it’ll be a big move for me. Looking forward to it! Do yous fancy getting a WhatsApp group together or do yous have one already?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.