Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Veterinary Medicine Gateway at RVC watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I applied to study the vetmed gateway at RVC along with zoology and a vet nursing course at other places.
    I study BTEC National Diploma (equivalent to 2 A-Levels) and A-Levels Turkish and Psychology.
    RVC rejected my application saying I do not have a minimum of 3 A-Levels or eqivalent, so this means they didn't except my mixture of a-levels and btec, because in total I'll have 4 a-levels/equivalent which is very annoying. I'm guessing they either want three a-levels or a BTEC Extended Diploma (equivalent to three a-levels). I really wanted to do this course, I love animals and I'm not too keen on doing the other courses I have applied for anymore but I was thinking if I have pets in the future it might fulfil my love for Veterinary. I am thinking to call RVC tomorrow and ask why they wouldn't accept my mix qualifications because my predicted grades are also very high.
    My options now are to either:
    1. study an extra year completing my btec so its equivalent to three a-levels and re apply in 2019, but then again I'm not guaranteed to be accepted next year too, so I'm kind of worried about wasting a year. Also, I feel like I'll lose my determination and interest, thinking of one extra year and 6 years to follow in university.
    2. my other option is to apply for another course through ucas extra, I was thinking about applying for biomedical science and potentially do a bio veterinary science masters, so I can practice as a researcher in animals and/or humans. Or basically, the other way round bio-vet sci for degree and biomed sci for masters. I was also considering veterinary physiotherapy if its possible to do as masters following a biomed or bio-vet sci degree.
    So sorry for the long essay guys, but I am really confused and need to advice on what I should do. Also if you guys have any other course in mind, science and lab/research based, please do give me ideas.
    Thank You so much!!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Mervet)
    I applied to study the vetmed gateway at RVC along with zoology and a vet nursing course at other places.
    I study BTEC National Diploma (equivalent to 2 A-Levels) and A-Levels Turkish and Psychology.
    RVC rejected my application saying I do not have a minimum of 3 A-Levels or eqivalent, so this means they didn't except my mixture of a-levels and btec, because in total I'll have 4 a-levels/equivalent which is very annoying. They either want three a-levels or a BTEC Extended Diploma (equivalent to three a-levels). I really wanted to do this course, I love animals and I'm not too keen on doing the other courses I have applied for anymore but I was thinking if I have pets in the future it might fulfil my love for Veterinary. I am thinking to call RVC tomorrow and ask why they wouldn't accept my mix qualifications because my predicted grades are also very high.
    I think you've answered your own question there, they either want three A levels or an Extended Diploma. Nowhere does it say you can mix and match By all means call them to clarify this (and confirm that they will consider you next year if you spend an extra year completing your BTEC), but don't expect them to change their mind about this year.

My options now are to either:
    1. study an extra year completing my btec so its equivalent to three a-levels and re apply in 2019, but then again I'm not guaranteed to be accepted next year too, so I'm kind of worried about wasting a year. Also, I feel like I'll lose my determination and interest, thinking of one extra year and 6 years to follow in university.
    You wouldn't be the first to take a gap year to get on to the course (even Gateway) and you certainly wouldn't be the last. It's only a 'waste' of a year if you don't use it wisely! If you get a job and/or lots of work experience then you will gain transferable skills that will be relevant regardless of whether you get into vet school.

If you think you'd lose your determination after just two extra years then I would suggest having a long think about whether vet med is for you. It is a long course but you'll be working for many more years than you're studying full-time! Many people find that their motivation picks up during the latter years of the course anyway, as the content becomes more clinical.

2. my other option is to apply for another course through ucas extra, I was thinking about applying for biomedical science and potentially do a bio veterinary science masters, so I can practice as a researcher in animals and/or humans. Or basically, the other way round bio-vet sci for degree and biomed sci for masters. I was also considering veterinary physiotherapy if its possible to do as masters following a biomed or bio-vet sci degree.
    So sorry for the long essay guys, but I am really confused and need to advice on what I should do. Also if you guys have any other course in mind, science and lab/research based, please do give me ideas.
    Thank You so much!!
    Those are all perfectly valid options and good degree choices, which as you say frequently go into Extra and Clearing. I would advise making sure that you're 100% confident with whatever you choose, as changing your mind and deciding that you wanted to do vet med after all can be very expensive if you opt to go down the grad route. I would suggest trying to get some work experience in the fields that you're considering to help you choose.

ReputationRep:
    My teacher suggested I should try and apply with the qualifications I will have but I guess not and thanks for your time and great advice though, much appreciated!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.