Is it very hard to get an A* at A Level art?

Watch
stanleyoldfield
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
so one of my uni offers is AAA or A*AB and i am thinking I could perhaps get an A* in art. I have spoken to my teachers and they all reckon I am around the A or A* level, but apparently A*s are so incredibly rare i would have to put a lot of extra work in.
this leads me on to ask, is a level art marked internally only or is some of it sampled by examinor?
zara_feavearyear
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
i am doing a level art textiles and i am hoping to get an a*. i have done the same and asked my teachers but what i found was to make sure that you include everything that the exam board has asked for and develop and explain all of your ideas. at as i got an A and my work personally didnt look A grade but my teacher said it was because i included everything the board wanted. and to answer your question about marking, the teahers come together as a whole and discuss what they think then the exam board comes in and checks the marks the teachers have given to make sure they agree with the teachers.
r_finchy00
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello, I am doing Art a level at the minute. The a level is firstly internally marked by whoever is appointed the examiner for a level in your art department. After that person or people have marked them every teacher will go around and mark the final wall display that we have to do in May after the exam. After all entries have been marked including the wall an independent exam moderator comes into school and takes a random sample of different graded students and marks those. Your school will have a record of how accurately the original gradings were in comparison to the moderators, which will tell you how likely you are to achieve your predicted grade !
greycorns
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My art teacher told us she would never predict anyone an A* as apparently only one student every 40 years will get one - very motivational I know lmao. The best anyone got in my whole school at A-Level last year was a B. In my opinion it's exceptionally difficult to get the high grades in Art A-Levels, and if you put in too much work you may endanger your other subjects-
Aakn
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
According to result statistics, which you can find on the exam board websites, Art usually has the second most amount of A*’s given, usually around 15%, compared to around 2% for subjects like history. Therefore I would not say, it’s incredibly difficult, many people from my below average state school have achieved an A* in A-level art.
Kian Stevens
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by greycorns)
My art teacher told us she would never predict anyone an A* as apparently only one student every 40 years will get one - very motivational I know lmao. The best anyone got in my whole school at A-Level last year was a B. In my opinion it's exceptionally difficult to get the high grades in Art A-Levels, and if you put in too much work you may endanger your other subjects-
'Only one student every 40 years will get one' - is that quote verbatim?

Why is your teacher so pessimistic?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (52)
38.81%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (12)
8.96%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
3.73%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (32)
23.88%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (23)
17.16%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
7.46%

Watched Threads