Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    6
    ReputationRep:
    Hi,

    I've lately been applying to jobs and man it has been better this year so far. Basically, I reached the final stage for a company and the 2nd stage for another company.

    COMPANY A - LAST STAGE (INTERVIEW TODAY), CONTRACT
    COMPANY B - 2ND STAGE (INTERVIEW THIS WEEK), PERMANENT

    The thing is, I much rather prefer company B over A - as it is better career progression in the long run and plus it is permanent.

    I'm sick and tired of contract roles as they have always held me back and I would much rather be permanent.

    The thing is Company A said they will get back to me this week and Company B are interviewing this week for round 2. Essentially, Company A is the backup for me and I would happily take it if I never got B. But Company B have a 2nd stage and a final stage. If Company A were to offer me, how would I best stall?

    Could I always turn it down after background checks?

    Sorry, I'm new to this game and it is so much stress at the minute
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    Offline

    20
    ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by newmanlife)
    Hi,

    I've lately been applying to jobs and man it has been better this year so far. Basically, I reached the final stage for a company and the 2nd stage for another company.

    COMPANY A - LAST STAGE (INTERVIEW TODAY), CONTRACT
    COMPANY B - 2ND STAGE (INTERVIEW THIS WEEK), PERMANENT

    The thing is, I much rather prefer company B over A - as it is better career progression in the long run and plus it is permanent.

    I'm sick and tired of contract roles as they have always held me back and I would much rather be permanent.

    The thing is Company A said they will get back to me this week and Company B are interviewing this week for round 2. Essentially, Company A is the backup for me and I would happily take it if I never got B. But Company B have a 2nd stage and a final stage. If Company A were to offer me, how would I best stall?

    Could I always turn it down after background checks?

    Sorry, I'm new to this game and it is so much stress at the minute
    I wouldn't take a job and then turn it down. It's fine with unis but not with employers as their recruitment processes are very different. Wait and see if company A makes you an offer. If company B hasn't made an offer by then you will have to either risk saying no to A and waiting for B or give up on B.
    Offline

    4
    ReputationRep:
    Completely disagree with previous poster. At this point, you don’t owe anything to either company. Look out for yourself in the first instance. Take job A and if job B offer comes around simply leave with required notice period or use it to secure better terms.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    6
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captainusa)
    Completely disagree with previous poster. At this point, you don’t owe anything to either company. Look out for yourself in the first instance. Take job A and if job B offer comes around simply leave with required notice period or use it to secure better terms.
    So how would that work?

    I'm literally trying to find a way to stall this offer IF I get it. I got in touch with Company B today to ask about the next round and I was told it was myself and four other job applicants. They did admit I was the junior one but my relationship with the HR contact has been great. The contact said she would happily hire me and see me working there
    But like with anything nothing is final until it is in writing.
    Offline

    4
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newmanlife)
    So how would that work?

    I'm literally trying to find a way to stall this offer IF I get it. I got in touch with Company B today to ask about the next round and I was told it was myself and four other job applicants. They did admit I was the junior one but my relationship with the HR contact has been great. The contact said she would happily hire me and see me working there
    But like with anything nothing is final until it is in writing.
    Accept job A, if you get job B, quit job A. You have no loyalty to job a at such an early stage of your career.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    6
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captainusa)
    Accept job A, if you get job B, quit job A. You have no loyalty to job a at such an early stage of your career.
    Looks like I never got job A in the end as HR told me that there are better suited roles for me in their company
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    6
    ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to let you guys know that I never got the job from Company A.

    I'm not disappointed and I'm grateful I got so far in the process. I gained a lot more from the interview and at least have a better insight into the types of questions the interviewer like asking
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    6
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    I wouldn't take a job and then turn it down. It's fine with unis but not with employers as their recruitment processes are very different. Wait and see if company A makes you an offer. If company B hasn't made an offer by then you will have to either risk saying no to A and waiting for B or give up on B.
    Thanks for responding to my thread.

    Yeah Company A (My Backup Choice) never offered me the job in the end (I somewhat knew I wasn't getting it and I was clearly a backup choice for them).

    That being said, Company B's approach to this all has been WAY better. In fact, I went to the second round interview today and within an hour I was invited to the final round interview tomorrow. HR told me the people who have interviewed me like me and my personality.

    A part of me is feeling nervous about working for Company B as I believe I am very young in life and not quite ready for the corporate life. That being said, the role is permanent and there seems to be a lot of room for development.
 
 
 
Reply
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2018
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reply
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.