The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Apply to Edinburgh after deadline as EU student?

I would like to apply for undergraduate Linguistics for entry in 2018. Do I still stand a chance if I submit my application by mid February? I know 15 January was the deadline guaranteeing equal consideration of all applications. By the way, I don‘t know if that matters, but I am an EU student.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hey, fellow EU Linguistics applicant here!
I have to be honest with you, EU applicants face extreme competition to get a place at Edinburgh, way more than overseas and RUK (non-Scottish British) students. The numbers of students that do not pay tuition fees are capped, standard offers are very demanding (even more than oxbridge in some cases!), therefore it's a long shot, even for relatively niche courses like ours. Take a look at admissions stats and you'll understand what I mean.
Also, the fact that you would send your application after the UCAS deadline won't help you as you already know.

That said, these slightly discouraging premises should not prevent you from taking the opportunity to study in an excellent institution, if you have the grades and really love the uni you should definitely try! Just make sure you pick 4 other choices that you really like, I can tell you from personal experience that having offers from other good unis helps keeping your hopes up :colondollar:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by linna
I would like to apply for undergraduate Linguistics for entry in 2018. Do I still stand a chance if I submit my application by mid February? I know 15 January was the deadline guaranteeing equal consideration of all applications. By the way, I don‘t know if that matters, but I am an EU student.

I don't mean to put you down, but as far as I know the January 15th deadline was the final deadline for September 2018 applicants.
Reply 3
Original post by lizzybrouwer
I don't mean to put you down, but as far as I know the January 15th deadline was the final deadline for September 2018 applicants.

It‘s definitely the official deadline, what I meant was that sometimes unis don‘t fill up their courses entirely until late spring, so if one‘s very lucky, unis may still consider one‘s application... Perhaps not such a competitive uni as Edinburgh, though.
Reply 4
Original post by Marie_Antoinette
Hey, fellow EU Linguistics applicant here!
I have to be honest with you, EU applicants face extreme competition to get a place at Edinburgh, way more than overseas and RUK (non-Scottish British) students. The numbers of students that do not pay tuition fees are capped, standard offers are very demanding (even more than oxbridge in some cases!), therefore it's a long shot, even for relatively niche courses like ours. Take a look at admissions stats and you'll understand what I mean.
Also, the fact that you would send your application after the UCAS deadline won't help you as you already know.

That said, these slightly discouraging premises should not prevent you from taking the opportunity to study in an excellent institution, if you have the grades and really love the uni you should definitely try! Just make sure you pick 4 other choices that you really like, I can tell you from personal experience that having offers from other good unis helps keeping your hopes up :colondollar:

Thanks for your extensive answer, it‘s good to hear from a fellow EU student😎 I am actually considering taking a gap year anyway, so there would be no harm for me in applying for entry in 2019, if it wasn‘t for the Brexit referendum😩 I expect the tuition fees for EU students entering uni in Britain from 2019 onwards to go up considerably, which would crush my dreams of studying in the UK... It‘s just such an unfortunate situation! Do you think it is any good to write to Edinburgh asking if I still stand a chance being accepted in this admissions cycle? And, if I may ask, what offers have you received yet? I would be really happy for you if Edinburgh works out for you!
Original post by linna
Thanks for your extensive answer, it‘s good to hear from a fellow EU student😎 I am actually considering taking a gap year anyway, so there would be no harm for me in applying for entry in 2019, if it wasn‘t for the Brexit referendum😩 I expect the tuition fees for EU students entering uni in Britain from 2019 onwards to go up considerably, which would crush my dreams of studying in the UK... It‘s just such an unfortunate situation! Do you think it is any good to write to Edinburgh asking if I still stand a chance being accepted in this admissions cycle? And, if I may ask, what offers have you received yet? I would be really happy for you if Edinburgh works out for you!

IKR, I put aside my plans to go on a gap year for that very reason 🙄 I think asking for their official advice is the best thing you can do, at least if they say no you won't cling on false hopes for months. In the meantime, you should get your personal statement and reference done so if you decide to apply you're ready.

Have you considered calling people at UCAS? They might have some advice on how to apply after the deadline and whether you need to contact unis. Also, you should ask about clearing, more and more good unis end up with spare places every year in the summer so that might be a good option.

I have received offers from Newcastle, Manchester, Leeds and Lancaster, hopefully I'll get into Edinburgh but if not, I'll happily go to any of the other four 😊
Original post by linna

I think you should be fine with the tuition fees even next year.
Read this:
https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/scotland-confirms-free-tuition-eu-students-2019-20
Reply 7
Original post by Elisabetha
I think you should be fine with the tuition fees even next year.
Read this:
https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/scotland-confirms-free-tuition-eu-students-2019-20

Oh my gosh, thanks a million! Made my day :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Marie_Antoinette
IKR, I put aside my plans to go on a gap year for that very reason 🙄 I think asking for their official advice is the best thing you can do, at least if they say no you won't cling on false hopes for months. In the meantime, you should get your personal statement and reference done so if you decide to apply you're ready.

Have you considered calling people at UCAS? They might have some advice on how to apply after the deadline and whether you need to contact unis. Also, you should ask about clearing, more and more good unis end up with spare places every year in the summer so that might be a good option.

I have received offers from Newcastle, Manchester, Leeds and Lancaster, hopefully I'll get into Edinburgh but if not, I'll happily go to any of the other four 😊

The Scottish government has apparently just confirmed free tuition for EU students enrolling in 2019-20, and I am sooo relieved! I feel a lot less pressured now to submit my application to UCAS this year, but I may contact them nevertheless, so thanks for the hint :smile:
Also, I am considering going to the Oxbridge Open Days this summer (for the straight Linguistics course at Cambridge and something along the lines of language, psychology and/or politics at Oxford) just to have a look around, it's by no means sure that they would even invite me back for interview :/ If English unis, unlike the Scottish ones, raise the tuition fees for EU applicants, I will not even bother applying, anyway :smile:
Congrats on your offers, those are great unis! May I ask why you did not apply to Cambridge for Linguistics? I am just curious as to what other people think of Cambridge's Linguistics programme, teaching style etc. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending