University College, Durham or Uni of Edinburgh?

Watch
emilyk824
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm studying history at Durham or History/Politics at Edinburgh. Which uni should I pick? I'm very torn. I love Edinburgh's year abroad but Castle college's history and tradition looks incredible. Which should I pick/is more prestigious?
fw1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by emilyk824)
I'm studying history at Durham or History/Politics at Edinburgh. Which uni should I pick? I'm very torn. I love Edinburgh's year abroad but Castle college's history and tradition looks incredible. Which should I pick/is more prestigious?
Have you been allocated University College? You do realise it is always so over subscribed that many applicants are allocated to other colleges every year. An offer to study at Durham is separate to your college allocation.
Your college whilst a huge part of your life at Durham is also pretty much your halls and your teaching will be done alongside every other student of your subject and us not college based.
Not everyone lives in the castle - especially as a fresher, some of the rooms are grim!
Base your decision on the course and degree. Durham is amazing, but don't overplay the importance of your college choice / allocation.
Good luck.
emilyk824
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by fw1)
Have you been allocated University College? You do realise it is always so over subscribed that many applicants are allocated to other colleges every year. An offer to study at Durham is separate to your college allocation.
Your college whilst a huge part of your life at Durham is also pretty much your halls and your teaching will be done alongside every other student of your subject and us not college based.
Not everyone lives in the castle - especially as a fresher, some of the rooms are grim!
Base your decision on the course and degree. Durham is amazing, but don't overplay the importance of your college choice / allocation.
Good luck.

yes I have already been allocated!
fw1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Congratulations!
My initial advice to base your decision on the course still stands though.
Durham is fantastic and being a member of your college is great, but you are unlikely to live in after your first year and you will only be in Durham for 6 months of the year. Castle has some rooms in the actual castle (unusual for freshers to stay there) and some much worse than the other colleges. It's true that many enjoy the traditions (formals etc..)
Your 3 (or more) year degree choice will be more significant.
Good luck whatever you decide - you have 2 great choices.
Deirdref1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Have Durham allocated all their history places for Sept 2020
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (44)
59.46%
No (30)
40.54%

Watched Threads