Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

If you make any rule changes in football what would it be and why? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Relative to match rules itself, rather than clubs(e.g.limiting number of foreign players in clubs) or organisations.

For example, replacing the Penalty shootout with something more interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Every 1000 kicks of the ball, there is a 1/5 chance of the ball exploding.

This would make the game a lot more interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Salary caps.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xBasedChris)
    Every 1000 kicks of the ball, there is a 1/5 chance of the ball exploding.

This would make the game a lot more interesting.
    That is a very interesting idea indeed!

ReputationRep:
    Tbh these really aren't thought through and are likely awful but...

An extra point (so 4) for a win if your goal difference is 3 or more, so either equal to or better than 3-0, 4-1, 5-2 etc. Encourages teams not to just run the clock when they're winning and try for more points, more interesting play. Albeit it skews it in the "good" teams favour, Man City would be out of sight, for instance.

my main one...

In cup games if you're drawn against a team more than a league below you (so prem vs league one or below, championships vs league 2 etc), you should have some sort of handicap, I guess .5. Thus if it's a draw it counts as a win for the "minnows", albeit that encourages very defensive play, so alternatively each goal for the lower team count as 2. Maybe too unfair...but that said there should technically be quite a gulf in class anyway.

ReputationRep:
    0 points for both teams if it finishes as a 0-0 draw.

ReputationRep:
    Id get rid of throw ins, they suck.

Also I'd get rid of the offense of diving in its current incarnation. Fouls are committed no suffered and it shouldn' matter what the player being fouled does once that foul challenge has been commited.

Not my idea, came up on football weekly yesterday, but I like it. Relegation for any team that doesn't average 1 point per game or more. Would ha e resulted in 11 more delegations from the PL in the last 5 years.

ReputationRep:
    Rather than a rule change I would want the rules actually enforced so shirt pulling and diving get punished consistently.

Maybe retroactive punishment as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    Rather than a rule change I would want the rules actually enforced so shirt pulling and diving get punished consistently.

Maybe retroactive punishment as well
    Let them continue diving, I like a little bit of a laugh, what I don't find funny is when it leads to a possiblity of an unjust call, e.g.
    -if a player dives and it's obvious it was a dive, they can play on.
    -if a player dives and he continues to protest for a spotkick to the point of distracting the ref/flow of the game & calling for VAR, he gets a straight red(after it's proven to be a dive, otherwise his team get's a spotkick assuming an actual foul occured during the dive).
    -Although a players can still get a yellow for a dive once the ref spots it, he should also get a yellow after opponent calls for VAR/2nd offical to prove the dive and revoke the freekick call.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    0 points for both teams if it finishes as a 0-0 draw.
    Punishing defensive players and goalkeepers for doing their job?, how encouraging!!.(sarcasm)

Maybe that would be worth it if defending could lead to more game wins.
    e.g. 3 goal line blocks=1 goal

ReputationRep:
    Straight red card for diving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chirpychops)
    Straight red card for diving.
    Easy to say, but what if the referee gets it wrong? A player gets fouled, the ref thinks its a dive, and then not only was the player fouled, but he gets sent off too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student-95)
    Salary caps.
    This would help how?

Unless it's worldwide, this wouldn't achieve anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    This would help how?

Unless it's worldwide, this wouldn't achieve anything.
    Why would it only be for one country?

ReputationRep:
    I would return the offside law to where it was in terms of leniency with interfering with play etc but allow the potentially offside player to be level with the last defender.

For professional football I would reduce each half to thirty minutes and stop the clock whenever the ball is out of play, to eliminate time-wasting.

ReputationRep:
    Why would it only be for one country?
    Because it's relatively easy for one country to impose a salary cap, but for the whole world to do it is near enough impossible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kenni12)
    Relative to match rules itself, rather than clubs(e.g.limiting number of foreign players in clubs) or organisations.

For example, replacing the Penalty shootout with something more interesting.
    I guess it will have to be stopping the time when the play stops. Too much time is being wasted when players go down diving. Speaking of diving, divers should be fined by a lot of money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    Because it's relatively easy for one country to impose a salary cap, but for the whole world to do it is near enough impossible.
    It's hypothetical...

ReputationRep:
    I would bring in a new card - green or white or blue - for any offence that is not related to gameplay. So dissent, time-wasting, unsportsmanlike conduct, etc.

You can get any number of these in a match, and each one equals a one match ban, but has no effect on the current game.

So if someone starts arguing with the ref - they get a blue card. They keep doing it, they get another and another. Pretty soon, they'll have banned themselves for the whole season.

It can be used for things like the taking off the shirt celebration - the person gets penalised, but it doesn't wreck the current match.

ReputationRep:
    It's hypothetical...
    and what would it achieve? Besides a huge amount of corruption?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.