AS American History. HELP!

Watch this thread
Jai_101
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am totally stuck and struggling with American History under the AQA exam board. I'm aiming for a B by the end of the course but am barely scraping Ds. I use the revision guides and my teacher's help isn't the best. Does anyone do the course have any suggestions or are in the same boat? Id really appreciates advice on how to improve. (I'm hitting targets in other classes so it's not a lack of revision as I revise the same amount for all my AS levels)
EEL2016
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
What is hard about Alevel and As History is that you really need to have good analytical skills- which I find hard myself as a year 13 student. I believe the best way to help you improve your essay grades for America is not just revising facts but doing extra reading around the subject, giving you different interpretations and more room for analysis. With this your essays will have more depth-Hope this helps
StudentOfThings
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hi, which part of American history do you do?
username1292215
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jai_101)
I am totally stuck and struggling with American History under the AQA exam board. I'm aiming for a B by the end of the course but am barely scraping Ds. I use the revision guides and my teacher's help isn't the best. Does anyone do the course have any suggestions or are in the same boat? Id really appreciates advice on how to improve. (I'm hitting targets in other classes so it's not a lack of revision as I revise the same amount for all my AS levels)
Improving your essay/exam technique will boost your grade , provided you know the content xD.

I did American History under Edexcel 1920-1994 so I can try help with the content bit
username1292215
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by EEL2016)
What is hard about Alevel and As History is that you really need to have good analytical skills- which I find hard myself as a year 13 student. I believe the best way to help you improve your essay grades for America is not just revising facts but doing extra reading around the subject, giving you different interpretations and more room for analysis. With this your essays will have more depth-Hope this helps
I don't think different interpretations is necessary for AS level History

To improve analysis I always just:
think of criteria
think of themes
counter arguments
limitations
linking points together
StudentOfThings
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SuperHuman98)
I don't think different interpretations is necessary for AS level History

To improve analysis I always just:
think of criteria
think of themes
counter arguments
limitations
linking points together
Hi,

Thanks for this post!

Do you do counter arguments in your paragraphs? So if you agree with the statement and are talking about a certain area that helps prove your thesis statement, would you use a counter argument in that paragraph, even though it might undermine your argument?
username1292215
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by StudentOfThings)
Hi,

Thanks for this post!

Do you do counter arguments in your paragraphs? So if you agree with the statement and are talking about a certain area that helps prove your thesis statement, would you use a counter argument in that paragraph, even though it might undermine your argument?
There are a few ways of doing it in 1 paragraph

Method 1:
weak argument
counter argument (that you agree with)

Method 2:
Your argument
counter argument

I do method 2 mostly... use language like "to some extent (counter argument)" "in some instances (followed by counter that you disagree with)" "a weaker interpretation/argument is"

If you are a fast writer and reall know your stuff you can try
argument
counter argument
overall (undermine the one you disagree with or strengthen the one you agree with)
StudentOfThings
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SuperHuman98)
There are a few ways of doing it in 1 paragraph

Method 1:
weak argument
counter argument (that you agree with)

Method 2:
Your argument
counter argument

I do method 2 mostly... use language like "to some extent (counter argument)" "in some instances (followed by counter that you disagree with)" "a weaker interpretation/argument is"

If you are a fast writer and reall know your stuff you can try
argument
counter argument
overall (undermine the one you disagree with or strengthen the one you agree with)
Thank you, this is great. I just didn't want the counterargument to contradict my own point/argument.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (66)
66.67%
No (25)
25.25%
I didn't use it to prepare (8)
8.08%

Watched Threads