The Student Room Group

Kissed bf with a healing last stage cold sore, he went down on me, now I’m paranoid

Hello,

I’m very very paranoid I may possibly have passed my cold sore to my genitals. I have no symptoms yet. This is all fuelled by anxiety. I have a cold sore, but it is healing it no longer has any cold sore symptoms such as tingling etc. My dad and mum and the internet (always fun) says the cold sore is gone and it’s healing now, in the last stage of scabbing and I’m getting over it. So my bf and I hadn’t kissed or anything in 7-8 days, so we decided it was safe enough for him to kiss me and not catch a cold sore. One thing led to another and he went down on me. And if my paranoia started after we finished sex. I googled how you contract genital herpes from a cold sore, and it mainly has to be active with sores and says it happens through direct contact.
My boyfriend says I’m being too paranoid and that we will both be fine. But I’m a worrier and I would like to know if we have accidentally ruined my life.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello,

I’m very very paranoid I may possibly have passed my cold sore to my genitals. I have no symptoms yet. This is all fuelled by anxiety. I have a cold sore, but it is healing it no longer has any cold sore symptoms such as tingling etc. My dad and mum and the internet (always fun) says the cold sore is gone and it’s healing now, in the last stage of scabbing and I’m getting over it. So my bf and I hadn’t kissed or anything in 7-8 days, so we decided it was safe enough for him to kiss me and not catch a cold sore. One thing led to another and he went down on me. And if my paranoia started after we finished sex. I googled how you contract genital herpes from a cold sore, and it mainly has to be active with sores and says it happens through direct contact.
My boyfriend says I’m being too paranoid and that we will both be fine. But I’m a worrier and I would like to know if we have accidentally ruined my life.

National Sexual Health Helpline

If you would like to talk to someone about a sexual health issue, you can call the national sexual health helpline free on 0300 123 7123. Your call will be treated with sensitivity and in strict confidence. The Sexual Health Helpline is open from 9am-8pm, Monday-Friday.

Read more at https://www.nhs.uk/oneyou/sexual-health#AOQM2lBXzb6BwITQ.99
HSV manages to survive in the body by hiding in neurons around the area of the original infection. But although the immune system can't attack it there, it can and does respond to any other infection attempts by the same strain.

In other words. if - like most people - you have an HSV-I infection and get cold sores on your face, typically around your lips, you can't easily get a second HSV-I infection and get cold sores anywhere else like the genitals.

The same, except in reverse, happens with the other strain of HSV, HSV-II. Most people with it get that in the genitals and nowhere else.
Unless this is the first time you have had a cold sore on your lip, you are highly unlikely to spread it to another part of the body.

Quick Reply

Latest