Turn on thread page Beta

Just wanting to know everyone’s experience and time scale on how they got diagnosed with anxiety or depression? Wanting to know as I can never tell if I’m being anxious or have anxiety or just being frequently sad or have depression, so just want to know peoples story’s, or if they had anything that triggered their mental illness
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I have never been diagnosed with depression because I don’t like going to doctors with medical health issues. However, I had counselling and they told me I had general and social anxiety which was obvious to me anyway. I’m now 17 and have been struggling with depression and anxiety for about 4 years.

It was very severe when I was 14/15 because I couldn’t even get out of bed. I missed six months of school.

I had three lots of counselling which reduced my anxiety immensely but all my problems seemed to link back to my relationship with my Father.

I think my depression got more severe after a massive break up when I was 15. It ruined me and I haven’t been quite the same since.

After I moved house at 16 I began feeling better but I still go through months of deep depression and anxiety. I still have to take some days off now. I also believe I have some seasonal depression as I always feel lower in the winter.

I believe that anything can cause depression and anxiety and if you’re suffering please seek help.

I wish you all the best!

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Just wanting to know everyone’s experience and time scale on how they got diagnosed with anxiety or depression? Wanting to know as I can never tell if I’m being anxious or have anxiety or just being frequently sad or have depression, so just want to know peoples story’s, or if they had anything that triggered their mental illness
    7yo: felt down all the time, had no friends, couldn't relate to anyone.
    9yo: wanted to escape from the world, first contemplated suicide.
    11yo: started high school, scare shitless and retreated fully into my own wierdness.
    16yo: left high school with PTSD due to bullying.
    17yo: first nervous breakdown brought on by aftermath of high school and multiple deaths in the family, manifests through abject weirdness and rebellion, didn't calm down until I was 18/19yo.
    21yo: second breakdown brought on by grandmother's death (we were very close, manifests through total apathy and lack of motivation. Sent to counselling by GP, it does nothing.
    23yo: third breakdown brought on by first breakup; realizing that I'd been abused but confused because I loved her, self-harmed and contemplated suicide again. Given antidepressants that only make me tired and impotent. Later sent to CBT which actually does help a little.
    27yo: third partner breaks up with me, making me feel completely useless and pointless. Everything makes me nervous and anxious at this point and I am offered beta-blockers, which I decline due to already-low blood pressure.

Currently 28 and still working through most recent phase. I feel apathetic most of the time, and my self-esteem is so bad that I honestly can't see myself ever being any use to anyone. Being a writer helps though; it is cathartic and distracts me from the hell of the real world.

(Original post by KatelynWayman)
    I have never been diagnosed with depression because I don’t like going to doctors with medical health issues. However, I had counselling and they told me I had general and social anxiety which was obvious to me anyway. I’m now 17 and have been struggling with depression and anxiety for about 4 years.

It was very severe when I was 14/15 because I couldn’t even get out of bed. I missed six months of school.

I had three lots of counselling which reduced my anxiety immensely but all my problems seemed to link back to my relationship with my Father.

I think my depression got more severe after a massive break up when I was 15. It ruined me and I haven’t been quite the same since.

After I moved house at 16 I began feeling better but I still go through months of deep depression and anxiety. I still have to take some days off now. I also believe I have some seasonal depression as I always feel lower in the winter.

I believe that anything can cause depression and anxiety and if you’re suffering please seek help.

I wish you all the best!
    Thankyou for telling your story! Oh no I’m sorry to hear that- I’m 16 and scared to get into a relationship as I see how much it damages my friends mental health. Thankfully it’s nearly the end of winter, wish you all the best

(Original post by Tootles)
    11yo: started high school, scare shitless and retreated fully into my own wierdness.
    17yo: first nervous breakdown brought on by aftermath of high school and multiple deaths in the family, manifests through abject weirdness and rebellion, didn't calm down until I was 18/19yo.
    21yo: second breakdown brought on by grandmother's death (we were very close, manifests through total apathy and lack of motivation. Sent to counselling by GP, it does nothing.
    23yo: third breakdown brought on by first breakup; realizing that I'd been abused but confused because I loved her, self-harmed and contemplated suicide again. Given antidepressants that only make me tired and impotent. Later sent to CBT which actually does help a little.
    27yo: third partner breaks up with me, making me feel completely useless and pointless. Everything makes me nervous and anxious at this point and I am offered beta-blockers, which I decline due to already-low blood pressure.

Currently 28 and still working through most recent phase. I feel apathetic most of the time, and my self-esteem is so bad that I honestly can't see myself ever being any use to anyone. Being a writer helps though; it is cathartic and distracts me from the hell of the real world.
    Oh gosh I’m so sorry to hear that!! I guess it’s made you stronger?? You can do this!! Push yourself out your comfort zone and ask people out to do things, bake, go on trips, experience the world whilst you’re young. Are you still carrying on with CBT? I hope it helped/ helps!! You’re so strong I believe in you!!

Oh gosh I’m so sorry to hear that!! I guess it’s made you stronger?? You can do this!! Push yourself out your comfort zone and ask people out to do things, bake, go on trips, experience the world whilst you’re young. Are you still carrying on with CBT? I hope it helped/ helps!! You’re so strong I believe in you!!
    I'd say I'm stronger for what's happened. Things that used to upset me don't matter so much any more, they're inconsequential compared to real problems.

I currently volunteer at a charity shop as well as writing novels, and that helps. CBT did help and I still remember and try to apply what I learned when I was there.

You mention me being "still young"; are you older then?

ReputationRep:
    A depression diagnosis is often difficult to make because clinical depression can manifest in so many different ways. For example, some clinically depressed individuals seem to withdraw into a state of apathy. Others may become irritable or even agitated. Eating and sleeping patterns can be exaggerated. Clinical depression may cause a person either to sleep or eat to excess or almost eliminate those activities.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say I'm stronger for what's happened. Things that used to upset me don't matter so much any more, they're inconsequential compared to real problems.

I currently volunteer at a charity shop as well as writing novels, and that helps. CBT did help and I still remember and try to apply what I learned when I was there.

You mention me being "still young"; are you older then?
    No I’m not, but my brother is haha

(Original post by Beth286)
    No I’m not, but my brother is haha
    Your brother is what...?

Your brother is what...?
    Your age

ReputationRep:
    My actual story is very long and you're more than welcome to message me privately to talk further but just a quick overview..

During childhood, my family would always say I was shy amongst people but I was always outrageously outgoing with people I was comfortable with. I would say the same goes now. I think my main concern has always been the fear of being judged. So in secondary school I struggled with reading out loud, being asked questions by teachers/being put on the spot, and doing presentations. This is when i really started to notice the physical symptoms like the racing heart rate, blushing and I also unfortunately come out in red blotches all over my body! I was always quite social and I think having a good friendship group and being comfortable with 90% of people in my year group at school really limited the amount of anxiety I had. However, things peaked when I went to college (my school didn't have a sixth form) and therefore, I found myself having to make new friends and being very uncomfortable. I started to not turn up to lessons as I was terrified someone would try to speak to me and I'd find myself covered in blotches for the majority of the time. I was extremely self-conscious and I basically hated my life for about 2 years. Learning to drive was a complete no-no and my anxiety caused my first driving test to get abandoned after 10 minutes! Things got better when I went to uni. I lived in halls and had a brilliant group of new friends who got to know the real me really quickly. I developed a good sense of humour and learned to be more comfortable with myself.

My anxiety peaked again when I left uni and struggled to get a job. Interviews were horrendous and I would physically squirm in discomfort. Eventually, I got a job that I love but I have no idea why as the interview was awful! I had a very supportive boyfriend that I met in Uni who really helped my confidence and helped me to pass my driving test. He has been amazing with my anxiety and helps me with all of the things I still get anxious with (driving, doing the weekly shop, speaking to new people etc).

I went to the Doctor last year to actually get help. At this point my anxiety was probably at the lowest level it had ever been but I still felt that I could do with some additional support. I was going through a few life changes - e.g looking for a new job, moving to a new house and buying a new car I was terrified I'd crash. I was immediately put on beta blockers which really helped limit the blotches and keep the physical things at bay. Then just last month I changed doctors due to the new house and they put me on Sertraline as well and I've never felt better! I've also been referred to counselling which I have an assessment for next week. In the last year, I've done things I never thought would be possible. I've travelled to London and stayed overnight by myself. I'm a lot more social with new people, I've had a few job interviews and even a few assessment centres which I would have never attended before. I'm 25 now and I'm kicking myself for not getting the help sooner!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tea_Bag)
    My actual story is very long and you're more than welcome to message me privately to talk further but just a quick overview..

During childhood, my family would always say I was shy amongst people but I was always outrageously outgoing with people I was comfortable with. I would say the same goes now. I think my main concern has always been the fear of being judged. So in secondary school I struggled with reading out loud, being asked questions by teachers/being put on the spot, and doing presentations. This is when i really started to notice the physical symptoms like the racing heart rate, blushing and I also unfortunately come out in red blotches all over my body! I was always quite social and I think having a good friendship group and being comfortable with 90% of people in my year group at school really limited the amount of anxiety I had. However, things peaked when I went to college (my school didn't have a sixth form) and therefore, I found myself having to make new friends and being very uncomfortable. I started to not turn up to lessons as I was terrified someone would try to speak to me and I'd find myself covered in blotches for the majority of the time. I was extremely self-conscious and I basically hated my life for about 2 years. Learning to drive was a complete no-no and my anxiety caused my first driving test to get abandoned after 10 minutes! Things got better when I went to uni. I lived in halls and had a brilliant group of new friends who got to know the real me really quickly. I developed a good sense of humour and learned to be more comfortable with myself.

My anxiety peaked again when I left uni and struggled to get a job. Interviews were horrendous and I would physically squirm in discomfort. Eventually, I got a job that I love but I have no idea why as the interview was awful! I had a very supportive boyfriend that I met in Uni who really helped my confidence and helped me to pass my driving test. He has been amazing with my anxiety and helps me with all of the things I still get anxious with (driving, doing the weekly shop, speaking to new people etc).

I went to the Doctor last year to actually get help. At this point my anxiety was probably at the lowest level it had ever been but I still felt that I could do with some additional support. I was going through a few life changes - e.g looking for a new job, moving to a new house and buying a new car I was terrified I'd crash. I was immediately put on beta blockers which really helped limit the blotches and keep the physical things at bay. Then just last month I changed doctors due to the new house and they put me on Sertraline as well and I've never felt better! I've also been referred to counselling which I have an assessment for next week. In the last year, I've done things I never thought would be possible. I've travelled to London and stayed overnight by myself. I'm a lot more social with new people, I've had a few job interviews and even a few assessment centres which I would have never attended before. I'm 25 now and I'm kicking myself for not getting the help sooner!
    Thank you for you story!!

ReputationRep:
    I think that depression is a serious disease. My friend suffers from depression. He very often is in complete apathy and doesn't want to do anything. It's very difficult to persuade him to start treatment. He doesn't want to go to therapy, besides, he doesn't want to take antidepressants, because they cause dependence. We found an alternative to antidepressants it is smart pills. Here you can read more https://nootropicboost.com/buy-best-nootropic-stack/ about them. These pills help to improve mood and stay motivated. I think this effect will be enough to make him want to be cured of depression.

ReputationRep:

Did your counsellor advise you to take a job using your hands or tools? Carpentry, cooking, construction etc I hear this is very good for mental health issues...

(Original post by Katherineofsiena)
    Did your counsellor advise you to take a job using your hands or tools? Carpentry, cooking, construction etc I hear this is very good for mental health issues...
    No - I've always done things using my hands, and by the time I was in counselling/therapy I'd already realized for myself that it was cathartic. Playing a musical instrument is particularly so.

ReputationRep:
    I certainly wouldn’t buy any pills from the internet and it’s not helpful to suggest people should do that.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.