Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I've got an offer to study MSc Computing Science (Year Abroad) at UEA but I looked on WhatUni and the BSc Computing Science course seems to have a 30% drop out rate. Does anyone know why this is? I really loved the University but I don't want to put it as my firm if there is an outstanding reason for the drop out rate being so high.

Cheers!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi lazorjam007 - first, it's brilliant to hear of your interest in UEA and the MSc Computing Science (Year Abroad) course!

That's a great question - I reached out to our School of Computing Science to find out more for you on this.

Our internal data at UEA indicate that the BSc Computing Science (the largest course in the School of Computing Sciences) has a completion rate above the sector average. Any numbers on completion rates reported for most other courses in the School of Computing Sciences (e.g. study abroad or year in industry) are too small to allow any meaningful conclusions to be drawn.

There are a number of reasons (academic and non-academic) why students may decide to change from one Computer Science course to another. Typically, we find that those who switch from the study abroad and year in industry degrees most often do so to stay with their friends (who are doing three year courses) and not for any academic reason.

In the School of Computer Science we allow our students the flexibility to change courses should their situation or ambitions change. For example we have had students who have moved from the three year degree programme to the Year in Industry/Aboard and vice-versa.

From my personal experience, UEA is a fantastic place to study - I graduated from UEA in 2015 and I loved every moment of studying here. Naturally, you need to make the right choice for you, but if you feel it is your favourite choice, I'd highly recommend it as a firm

I hope this helps answer your question! If you have any other questions on the course or UEA generally, do let me know and I'll be happy to help

- Laura, UEA Official Rep

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.