Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Feminists Are Always Unattractive - Is This Generally True? watch

ReputationRep:
    Your title doesn't really correspond with the further questions you're asking, however, to answer them all: feminists strive for equality, and can be anyone.

To answer your initial, and presumably main, question then I'd say no. Feminists come in all shapes, sizes and colours, liking different trends, style and hobbies. So, a feminist is as likely to be considered attractive as your "average person".

Additionally, your further questions are mainly considering what equality actually means. For example, with the tennis, if women are to be ranked equally to their male counterparts than they must play the same match. We all start in the same place so it's down to training, rather than the natural - minimal - advantages a male may have.

In terms of the dating, them expectations are not what I (a feminist) agree with. If the guy pursues me, then great! If not, I'll make the first move. If he's insistent on paying for the first date then I will let him, but I'd happily pay for the date or split the bill. Someone who strives for equality will not, or should not, sustain that pressure on men.

I hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    No, not at all true. I think you have a slightly wrong idea of what feminism is. It is the equality in the workplace and at home, not to be discriminated against because of your gender. It's basically don't treat us differently because we are girls. In some cases, like muscle building, females have the biological disadvantage. But feminism means that we are still able to compete and be marked on performance not appearance. Feminism is a basic human right and your belief in this doesn't mean you are ugly.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Creativetype)
    “Feminist men, although they are very low in number are a disgrace to society and a disgrace to manhood“

You need to look up the definition of feminism.
    To understand an ideology you look up its teachings/its theories not the definition its followers give it which is bound to be bias.

If I were to ask a nazi to define nazism, they will tell me its fair and true...reality, of course, is very far from this definition...

ReputationRep:
    Personally if a man was a feminist, I would find it really good and possibly attractive. It just means they want equality, and I would feel they understand that women are equal. I don’t think I would date a man who doesn’t consider me equal and respects me
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lit teacher)
    The figure was for men and women in full-time work. Men earn on average £100 more a week. Even for apprentices, who tend not to take career breaks to have children, men average £7.25 while women earn £6.67.

There is an equal chance to apply as a candidate. There clearly isn't an equal opportunity to stand for election for a major party. With so many good applicants why are only 21% of Conservative MPs women? It's because the constituency selection committees tend to be dominated by men, and they tend to choose male candidates. Look here for a scholarly article that goes through this in detail, with evidence https://www.psa.ac.uk/insight-plus/w...itish-politics

It means that while in theory they have an equal opportunity, many men who would be excellent nurses are deterred from this career. Maybe it's social stereotyping that makes them not think of a nursing career.
    Except of course they don't. If they did have the same opportunities, the only explanation for only 6 women becoming CEO's in the FTSE 100 would be that there were only six women in the UK capable of the job, or that only six women in the country aspired to reach the top position. In reality, CEO's are usually appointed by a panel which is overwhelmingly male. Whether deliberately or not, they tend to appoint men.

That's a valid question. On average, women develop communication skills earlier than men. That leads to a gap at school age which closes again in late teens when boys catch up. It's genetic, and explains why some year 7 and 8 boys struggle to have a conversation with their peers while girls rarely do. You can read about it here Nothing to do with girls working harder.
    There is an inequality in how society perceives certain behaviours. There are parents of boys who view their misbehaviour as 'just being a lad', and are not concerned about a lack of homework. I've never heard the parent of a girl try to use their gender as an excuse. Most schools end up with a group of low-performing boys and work very hard to change this, but face an uphill battle. There are lots of exceptions to this, but the trend is enough to affect results. Our school has a series of intervention strategies aimed at all pupils who are underperforming. If more boys are doing badly, there will be more boys in the group.

We encourage all students, with the ability to study at university, to apply if they wish. There is a roughly equal ratio each year. The university issue is closely linked to social class, with working class white men being the least likely to apply. That's an issue for society as well as schools to address. We take all year 9 students to a local university so they can see what it's like, but the decision about whether or not to apply is ultimately made by parents, over whom we have little influence.
    So how come feminism continually talks about the "gender pay gap" and essentially never talks about the "gender imprisonment gap", the "gender life expectancy gap", the "gender grade gap", the "gender university attendance gap"?

And to take your example of women MPs and business leaders, why does feminism never care about careers when men are under-represented? There are huge initiatives to increase representation of women in medical careers ( eg "Women in Surgery" ), but I'm not aware of any to address under-representation of men in nursing.

It is seen as a "problem" when women are under-represented in a career. But when men are under-represented, nobody cares.

We hear feminists bleat on about wanting quotas for female MPs. How about a quota for women in prisons? Or a quota for men in university education? I never hear them suggest that...

It is clear: feminism is not actually interested in equality. If it was, then it would care about all of these issues. Instead, it just cares about equality whenever it suits them.

Which I suppose is fair enough, they just need to be honest about it, admit their sexist bias, and stop claiming to be in favour of equality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    So how come feminism continually talks about the "gender pay gap" and essentially never talks about the "gender imprisonment gap", the "gender life expectancy gap", the "gender grade gap", the "gender university attendance gap"?
    +1

Why don't they talk about those things? Because it blows a huge hole in their men are privlaged, women are disadvantaged narrative.

Feminism claims that we live in a world made by men for the beneficence of men and disadvantagement and enslavement of women. A world where men are put before women. A world where men's lives are more valuable than those of women. A world where women are victims and men are victimisers. They do not, no they refuse to talk about the issues that you have mentioned in your comment because those issues contradict their entire narrative. Those examples that you have mentioned paint a picture of our world that at best renders feminism flawed and at worst renders feminist beliefs the complete opposite of reality. Those issues that you've mentioned and they are just a handful of examples from an ocean of male disadvantgement and female privilege suggest that we live in a world where men are the ones who are suffering sexism and women are the ones who are benefitting from it and that basically destroys feminism. So they can't have it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)

And to take your example of women MPs and business leaders, why does feminism never care about careers when men are under-represented? There are huge initiatives to increase representation of women in medical careers ( eg "Women in Surgery" ), but I'm not aware of any to address under-representation of men in nursing.

It is seen as a "problem" when women are under-represented in a career. But when men are under-represented, nobody cares.

We hear feminists bleat on about wanting quotas for female MPs. How about a quota for women in prisons? Or a quota for men in university education? I never hear them suggest that...

It is clear: feminism is not actually interested in equality. If it was, then it would care about all of these issues. Instead, it just cares about equality whenever it suits them.

Which I suppose is fair enough, they just need to be honest about it, admit their sexist bias, and stop claiming to be in favour of equality.
    So many questions!
    The 'imprisonment gap': There are plenty of examples ofefforts to narrow the gap, through reducing the offending of men rather than increasing criminal behaviour of women. There are campaigns to reduce knife crime, campaigns to reduce race-hate and a fortune spent on supporting students expelled from school to change their anti-social behaviour. In all these cases the main offenders are men.

Life expectancy differences are thought to stem from lifestyle. Traditionally men smoked and drank more, so lung cancer and heart disease killed more men than women. Since 2000 the gap has reduced from 4.8 to 3.7 years and it's still falling.

In education the gender attainment gap is a key measure of school performance. All schools already need to have policies in place to reduce the gap.

There is a campaign to recruit more men into nursing. http://rn-journal.com/journal-of-nur...ion-of-nursing and it's having an effect http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...al-nurses.html

Put simply, in all the examples you could think of there is already work being done to reduce imbalances. I guess that feminists are trying to sort out the issues that affect them first before they can find time to campaign for men. Presumably men are not able to campaign themselves?

ReputationRep:
    Really? Any evidence that it was a choice, and not that they were put off by people such as yourself?
    And the link to research that proves that you haven't just made this up after a couple of pulls on a dooby? I'll wait.

Where? When? And more importantly, why? Do you believe that there is something in female DNA that gives them a phobia of engineering? If so, why does India have double the percentage of female engineers compared with the UK?
    Why? You can't argue that nursing is easier, or of less use, or requires lower qualifications. Do nurses not earn less simply because they are mostly women?

I've given you a precise set of figures that prove that inequality still exists. You've given me some half-baked theory that women prefer to have low paid jobs. Come back when you've done some research.
    Any evidence that it was a choice? What are you stupid or pretending to be stupid? If a woman chose a certain career path when many were open, then she chose that - is that difficult to understand? For example there is a very healthy number of female doctors, there is nothing encouraging or discouraging them from choosing to be doctors. Same as engineering, many women, do not prefer it.

You do realise men and women are fundamentally different right? So they won't think the same and naturally their interests and preferences will differ, it's common sense. But you seem to have very little of this.

Why should there be equal male to female engineers, nurses etc in your world? Are you delusional? Why can't women choose to do what they want instead of you telling them they should do engineering, who the hell are you?

I can tell you know very little about the way the world works by your very silly statements. You want nurses to be paid the same amount of money as CEOs or investment bankers? Lol. Are you really this stupid, please tell me you're not. Business and accounting (and maths) is clearly not your subject.

You want a link to prove top financial positions require 70 plus hours a week. The link is called the real world. You want a link to show some women at a certain age prefer to cut down their hours to spend more time with children, again it's called real life.

Women I believe actually earn more than men upto age 30, which shows they are being given every opportunity. So some women make that decision they do not want to commit such long hours to earn more, whereas more men prefer to do so.

We don't live in some teletubbie fairly land where you think everyone should earn the same money - life and business, two things you have no idea about, doesn't work that way. Some players at Manchester United football club are earning £400k a week, so should the cleaners also be on that?

Please don't comment back here until you actually come up with valid points, not crap like nurses should be paid the same as engineers. Jeez, some people.

ReputationRep:
    ohhh so he looks like a *****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by konvictz0007)
    Any evidence that it was a choice? What are you stupid or pretending to be stupid? If a woman chose a certain career path when many were open, then she chose that - is that difficult to understand? For example there is a very healthy number of female doctors, there is nothing encouraging or discouraging them from choosing to be doctors. Same as engineering, many women, do not prefer it.

You do realise men and women are fundamentally different right? So they won't think the same and naturally their interests and preferences will differ, it's common sense. But you seem to have very little of this.

Why should there be equal male to female engineers, nurses etc in your world? Are you delusional? Why can't women choose to do what they want instead of you telling them they should do engineering, who the hell are you?

I can tell you know very little about the way the world works by your very silly statements. You want nurses to be paid the same amount of money as CEOs or investment bankers? Lol. Are you really this stupid, please tell me you're not. Business and accounting (and maths) is clearly not your subject.

You want a link to prove top financial positions require 70 plus hours a week. The link is called the real world. You want a link to show some women at a certain age prefer to cut down their hours to spend more time with children, again it's called real life.

Women I believe actually earn more than men upto age 30, which shows they are being given every opportunity. So some women make that decision they do not want to commit such long hours to earn more, whereas more men prefer to do so.

We don't live in some teletubbie fairly land where you think everyone should earn the same money - life and business, two things you have no idea about, doesn't work that way. Some players at Manchester United football club are earning £400k a week, so should the cleaners also be on that?

Please don't comment back here until you actually come up with valid points, not crap like nurses should be paid the same as engineers. Jeez, some people.
    As I suspected. Plenty of insults and bizarre ideas based on a warped understanding of the 'real world' Precisely zero factual basis, no references and a total lack of any evidence. You haven't given a single reason why a nurse, degree qualified, working 12 hour shifts and making life or death decisions should be paid less than an engineer. "I believe" women earn more than men is proof of nothing apart from your gullibility, and your inability to use Google.

It's been my experience that those who argue loudest that the world is equal and no more change is needed are always white males, the group with least experience of discrimination.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn’t say all feminists are unattractive… but are all unattractive women feminists? Now you might have a point there…

ReputationRep:
    The 'imprisonment gap': There are plenty of examples ofefforts to narrow the gap, through reducing the offending of men rather than increasing criminal behaviour of women. There are campaigns to reduce knife crime, campaigns to reduce race-hate and a fortune spent on supporting students expelled from school to change their anti-social behaviour. In all these cases the main offenders are men.
    What an ignorant reply full of nonsense. I seriously do hope that you are not a teacher. Scary thought to think someone this blind could be involved in guiding future generations.

The gap in conviction rates is a clear example of sexism against men and female privilage here in the UK. You would know that if you knew anything about this issue which judging from your reply you clearly don't. Hence, your dismissive attitude and dismissiveness is often born of an oversimplified understanding of issues. So, let me enlighten you.

In the UK conviction rates and prison sentences are lower for women than they are for men for all crimes without a single exception, from murder to sexual assaults (1).

In 2015 the conviction rate for murder for women was roughly 200% lower than that for men (2) and 300% lower than the national average (3).

The low conviction rates and lenient sentences for women are caused by a deep culture of sexism and favourable treatment for women on societal, cultural and governmental levels. Explanation follows:

Direct orders have been given to judges by the government to treat women more leniently than men (7):

The argument used to justify these orders by our government was that women do not commit violent crimes as often as men (11) but that does not explain why they deserve lighter sentences for equal crimes. Institutionalised feminism also uses the argument that women often have children to look after and so deserve lighter sentences because otherwise it would be unfair on the child (11) but this same non-sensical privilege of orders to judges for lighter sentences is not provided to men when they have children or families to look after. In fact the orders to the judges are strictly based on gender irrespective of the circumstances surrounding the 'indictee’s' life. It is preferential treatment purely based on gender. This by its very definition is sexism.

Another example of sexism on a governmental, judicial level is that of women not being indictable for serious crimes such as rape. In such cases they are instead charged with lesser crimes, which carry lighter judicial and cultural repercussions.

Yes, my ignorant friend, women in the UK cannot be charged with rape thanks to sexist laws the main architects of which have been feminists. As in, if a woman rapes a child in this country she would not be charged with rape but a lesser crime. Take chronic, prolific child rapist Vanessa George as an example for this and for the reasons behind the sexist gap in the justice system. She is by the definition of Scotland Yard the worst paedophile ever to be caught in British history. She is thought to be responsible for the rape of between 30 and 300 babies alongside a ring of 5 other paedophiles 4 of whom where women and all of whom with the exception of Vanessa and the one male in the group are free today. For raping those children, refusing to cooperate with the police and never admitting to having done any wrong she was charged with sexual assault and sentenced to an indeterminate sentence. Having served 6 years in prison she is currently on review for parole and she is housed in an open prison where she is free to come and go as she pleases. She was never charged with rape because in this country women cannot be charged with this crime. This is just one example of sexism that leads to that gap that you so ignorantly and foolishly dismissed with your nonsensical retort. This is just one example of how our laws are sexist in favour of women and against men. I can write a book about this issue. Its so vast but I think I've made my point.

You write of programmes designed to aid men with criminal records. Let me give you an example of female privilege and sexism against men in this sector of rehabilitation.

Thanks to our feminist home secretary Amber Rudd, as of 2013, we now have a Minister of Women’s Prisons, Helen Grant, with no male role equivalent. Her job is to cater to the female prison population, reduce the imprisonment rate for women etc. Our government's justification for this sexist, female only role? “separating out women’s prisons from men's prisons so there is a line of responsibility” (13). Responsibility to furthering female privilege within the justice system that is. There is also the ring-fenced budgets amounting to hundreds of millions of pounds spent every year on organisations aimed at furthering women’s interests within the justice system (13) with no male equivalent.... This despite the fact that women make up a non-existent minority of the prison population.

Sexism is also clear on a cultural level here in the west. Our culture refuses to accept the idea that women commit crimes and your comment is an example of this sexism. Our culture preaches that “women do not do things like this" (10). Our culture shames people, particularly, men and boys for reporting women for crimes of violence. Men in the UK are twice less likely to report having experienced abuse from their female partners (4) as compared to women. There are examples of cases in the west of sexual assaults that have been dismissed by judges because the judge thought that women do not do crimes like this (10). You can find this sexist dismissive culture in all levels of authority from the police to the high courts. Such culture greatly impacts the justice system and its outcomes.

Let me give you another example of a cultural sexism that serves to reduce conviction rates and prison sentences for women. I am going to give you this example in the form of a question. If I show you a video of a woman being subjected to hurt and one of a man being subjected to hurt both in the exact same way, would you react to both videos similarly? I am willing to bet you that you wont. I am willing to bet you that you would feel outraged by the hurt afflicting the woman more so than you would the man. You've been raised in a society that teaches you to value women's lives more than men's lives, to put yourself, your life before that of the privileged sex. We live in a culture that dismisses violence against men and prioritises cures for violence against women. A culture that values women's lives more than it does their male counterparts.

We are taught from childhood that ‘violence against women’ is wrong and we are taught to give respect to women, even those who do not deserve respect, yet we are not taught this same level of respect to men who suffer greater violence and disrespect on all levels of society and culture. This culture impacts judicial outcomes greatly.

Los Angeles District Attorney, Thomas L. Woolwine Nov. 25. 1923: “There can be no question that it is more difficult to convict a woman for any offence than a man. The reason it is well night impossible to punish women for crimes of violence in particular is simple: It is because they are women”

Sexism and female privilege in our justice systems in the west is so clear that even feminists have concluded in their research that the justice system is clearly bias in favour of women (12). So even they disagree with your ignorant comment. What is most comical about this feminist finding is that in this study (12) they initially set out to prove a feminist theory called “evil women hypothesis”. In this Hypothesis feminists claim that women are more harshly treated by the justice system than men but in setting out to prove this theory of female victimhood they found the opposite to be true.

There is a huge gender gap in the justice system that is caused by sexism and favourable treatment for women. Not just here in the UK but across the globe. We live in sexist societies that outright refuse to hold women accountable for their actions, where female criminals, rapists, pedophiles, murderers do not receive justice nor their victims, societies where women are in a clear state of privilege and working towards protecting and furthering this privilege whilst men are in a clear state of disadvantage and going from bad to worse thanks to this sexism.

1. Figure A.06, page 13 - https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...n-cjs-2013.pdf
    2. https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...eandsexualoffe nces/yearendingmarch2015/chapter2homicide
    3. https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...nviction-rates
    4 https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...n-cjs-2013.pdf
    7. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...sentences.html
    11. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/wom...s-prisons.html
    12.http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/...57085111430214
    13. http://www.prisonreformtrust.org.uk/...sard250313.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieButter)
    What an ignorant reply full of nonsense. I seriously do hope that you are not a teacher. Scary thought to think someone this blind could be involved in guiding future generations.

The gap in conviction rates is a clear example of sexism against men and female privilage here in the UK. You would know that if you knew anything about this issue which judging from your reply you clearly don't. Hence, your dismissive attitude and dismissiveness is often born of an oversimplified understanding of issues. So, let me enlighten you.

In the UK conviction rates and prison sentences are lower for women than they are for men for all crimes without a single exception, from murder to sexual assaults (1).

In 2015 the conviction rate for murder for women was roughly 200% lower than that for men (2) and 300% lower than the national average (3).

The low conviction rates and lenient sentences for women are caused by a deep culture of sexism and favourable treatment for women on societal, cultural and governmental levels. Explanation follows:

Direct orders have been given to judges by the government to treat women more leniently than men (7):

The argument used to justify these orders by our government was that women do not commit violent crimes as often as men (11) but that does not explain why they deserve lighter sentences for equal crimes. Institutionalised feminism also uses the argument that women often have children to look after and so deserve lighter sentences because otherwise it would be unfair on the child (11) but this same non-sensical privilege of orders to judges for lighter sentences is not provided to men when they have children or families to look after. In fact the orders to the judges are strictly based on gender irrespective of the circumstances surrounding the 'indictee’s' life. It is preferential treatment purely based on gender. This by its very definition is sexism.

Another example of sexism on a governmental, judicial level is that of women not being indictable for serious crimes such as rape. In such cases they are instead charged with lesser crimes, which carry lighter judicial and cultural repercussions.

Yes, my ignorant friend, women in the UK cannot be charged with rape thanks to sexist laws the main architects of which have been feminists. As in, if a woman rapes a child in this country she would not be charged with rape but a lesser crime. Take chronic, prolific child rapist Vanessa George as an example for this and for the reasons behind the sexist gap in the justice system. She is by the definition of Scotland Yard the worst paedophile ever to be caught in British history. She is thought to be responsible for the rape of between 30 and 300 babies alongside a ring of 5 other paedophiles 4 of whom where women and all of whom with the exception of Vanessa and the one male in the group are free today. For raping those children, refusing to cooperate with the police and never admitting to having done any wrong she was charged with sexual assault and sentenced to an indeterminate sentence. Having served 6 years in prison she is currently on review for parole and she is housed in an open prison where she is free to come and go as she pleases. She was never charged with rape because in this country women cannot be charged with this crime. This is just one example of sexism that leads to that gap that you so ignorantly and foolishly dismissed with your nonsensical retort. This is just one example of how our laws are sexist in favour of women and against men. I can write a book about this issue. Its so vast but I think I've made my point.

You write of programmes designed to aid men with criminal records. Let me give you an example of female privilege and sexism against men in this sector of rehabilitation.

Thanks to our feminist home secretary Amber Rudd, as of 2013, we now have a Minister of Women’s Prisons, Helen Grant, with no male role equivalent. Her job is to cater to the female prison population, reduce the imprisonment rate for women etc. Our government's justification for this sexist, female only role? “separating out women’s prisons from men's prisons so there is a line of responsibility” (13). Responsibility to furthering female privilege within the justice system that is. There is also the ring-fenced budgets amounting to hundreds of millions of pounds spent every year on organisations aimed at furthering women’s interests within the justice system (13) with no male equivalent.... This despite the fact that women make up a non-existent minority of the prison population.

Sexism is also clear on a cultural level here in the west. Our culture refuses to accept the idea that women commit crimes. Our culture preaches that “women do not do things like this" (10). Our culture shames people, particularly, men and boys for reporting women for crimes of violence. Men in the UK are twice less likely to report having experienced abuse from their female partners (4) as compared to women. There are examples of cases in the west of sexual assaults that have been dismissed by judges because the judge thought that women do not do crimes like this (10). You can find this sexist dismissive culture in all levels of authority from the police to the high courts. Such culture greatly impacts the justice system and its outcomes.

Let me give you another example of a cultural sexism that serves to reduce conviction rates and prison sentences for women. I am going to give you this example in the form of a question. If I show you a video of a woman being subjected to hurt and one of a man being subjected to hurt both in the exact same way, would you react to both videos similarly? I am willing to bet you that you wont. I am willing to bet you that you would feel outraged by the hurt afflicting the woman more so than you would the man. You've been raised in a society that teaches you to value women's lives more than men's lives, to put yourself, your life before that of the privileged sex. We live in a culture that dismisses violence against men and prioritises cures for violence against women. A culture that values women's lives more than it does their male counterparts.

We are taught from childhood that ‘violence against women’ is wrong and we are taught to give respect to women, even those who do not deserve respect, yet we are not taught this same level of respect to men who suffer greater violence and disrespect on all levels of society and culture. This culture impacts judicial outcomes greatly.

Los Angeles District Attorney, Thomas L. Woolwine Nov. 25. 1923: “There can be no question that it is more difficult to convict a woman for any offence than a man. The reason it is well night impossible to punish women for crimes of violence in particular is simple: It is because they are women, and because sex plays a vital part in every such trial. Men are innately loath to punish women. Women naturally arouse a feeling of false chivalry in men which allays and tempers their judgment upon the evidence. It is more difficult for a prosecutor to overcome this powerful factor than it is to convince a jury upon the state of facts presented.”

Sexism and female privilege in our justice systems in the west is so clear that even feminists have concluded in their research that the justice system is clearly bias in favour of women (12). So even they disagree with your ignorant comment. What is most comical about this feminist finding is that in this study (12) they initially set out to prove a feminist theory called “evil women hypothesis”. In this Hypothesis feminists claim that women are more harshly treated by the justice system than men but in setting out to prove this theory of female victimhood they found the opposite to be true.

There is a huge gender gap in the justice system that is caused by sexism and favourable treatment for women. Not just here in the UK but across the globe. We live in sexist societies that outright refuse to hold women accountable for their actions, where female criminals, rapists, pedophiles, murderers do not receive justice nor their victims, societies where women are in a clear state of privilege and working towards protecting and furthering this privilege whilst men are in a clear state of disadvantage and going from bad to worse thanks to this sexism.

1. Figure A.06, page 13 - https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...n-cjs-2013.pdf
    2. https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...eandsexualoffe nces/yearendingmarch2015/chapter2homicide
    3. https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...nviction-rates
    4 https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...n-cjs-2013.pdf
    7. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...sentences.html
    11. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/wom...s-prisons.html
    12.http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/...57085111430214
    13. http://www.prisonreformtrust.org.uk/...sard250313.pdf
    That is interesting, the points you raise.

I have been contemplating a part of this a lot recently, I never have and hopefully never will hit a woman. It is said many times and places it is wrong to hit women, but the correct statement should be it is wrong to hit people.

Now I want there to be a inequality here. Like I said I don't want to see men boxing women as a sport, because I find that distasteful. Equality it it's truest sense would say there is nothing wrong with that.

Thus comes the great contradiction, do we treat men and women equal in all senses or do we acknowledge women are 'weaker' than men and give them a platform to make it level - but that means acknowledging women are weaker.

And that poster is a teacher? Jesus, thats the kind of crap feeding into our schools now? He believes nurses should be paid as much as CEOs and engineers - this is only possible in a dream world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANM775)
    I did come across this study once saying that feminists are more masculine.....

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4158978/

"The feminist movement purports to improve conditions for women, and yet only a minority of women in modern societies self-identify as feminists. This is known as the feminist paradox. It has been suggested that feminists exhibit both physiological and psychological characteristics associated with heightened masculinization "

and I have to agree, as I am very good at spotting whether a user is male or female just based off their posting style [being given no other info] ..but the few instances I get it wrong, it is usually a feminist with an aggressive posting style that has made me thought they were a male.
    That’s because of your own bias to what you believe women and men should talk like. Even over an Internet forum.

If you haven’t the strength of mind to logically analyse research, don’t bother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waldorf67)
    That’s because of your own bias to what you believe women and men should talk like. Even over an Internet forum.

If you haven’t the strength of mind to logically analyse research, don’t bother.

I think pretty much everyone would agree that generally speaking males are more aggressive online and quicker to resort to swearing/insults....

like 90% of the time if I get into an argument on here with a female and it keeps going back and forth, back and forth [and that female is resorting to insults] it has turned out to be a feminist.

non feminists are simply way less confrontational and argumentative...

ReputationRep:
    I think pretty much everyone would agree that generally speaking males are more aggressive online and quicker to resort to swearing/insults....

like 90% of the time if I get into an argument on here with a female and it keeps going back and forth, back and forth [and that female is resorting to insults] it has turned out to be a feminist.

non feminists are simply way less confrontational and argumentative...
    Do you not think that might have a little something to do with the content of discussion/ your posts?

I’ve seen your posts and you express quite dated, sexist views. So who do you think is going to react more negatively to that, a woman who identifies as a feminist, or a woman who doesn’t?

Logic.

ReputationRep:

/END THREAD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waldorf67)
    Do you not think that might have a little something to do with the content of discussion/ your posts?

I’ve seen your posts and you express quite dated, sexist views. So who do you think is going to react more negatively to that, a woman who identifies as a feminist, or a woman who doesn’t?

Logic.

The only women on here who have called me "sexist" have all been feminists. If you took the opinion about me from 50 feminists and 50 non feminists .. far more feminists would label me sexist than non feminist. Me being sexist is not a "fact", it is an opinion.

Personally I would not label myself a sexist. I just don't always think a womans and a mans behavior should be looked upon as exactly the same. This ranges from violence to promiscuity. I would think quite poorly of a man who got all up in a woman face and started squaring up to her due to an argument ...but not of a man doing this to another man. and whilst I would heavily frown upon a woman getting all up in a mans face like that, I would still view a man getting up in a womans face noticeably worse.

and many feminists tend to react aggressively [like a man] simply if they not agreeing with an opinion [whether it falls under sexism or not]

I refer to the topic I started here as a great example:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4403924

a fair amount of women disagreed with my opinion, and stated their views in a normal civil fashion. A certain feminist saw the topic and came in, and launched an aggressive foul mouthed personal attack at myself ...which actually ended up getting deleted [I did not report it]
    The feminist in question has a reputation for ridiculing men [or trying to] with elliot rodger jokes, and she does this at any dude experiencing trouble with women. A simple "I can't get any matches from Tinder after 500 swipes" topic would attract this feminist to start mocking the male OP with elliot rodger jibes ..etc

this type of behavior is not typical female behavior. She has the aggression and this viciousness of a male troll!

her T-levels are probably like 5 times that of a normal woman..

ReputationRep:
    The only women on here who have called me "sexist" have all been feminists. If you took the opinion about me from 50 feminists and 50 non feminists .. far more feminists would label me sexist than non feminist. Me being sexist is not a "fact", it is an opinion.

Personally I would not label myself a sexist. I just don't always think a womans and a mans behavior should be looked upon as exactly the same. This ranges from violence to promiscuity. I would think quite poorly of a man who got all up in a woman face and started squaring up to her due to an argument ...but not of a man doing this to another man. and whilst I would heavily frown upon a woman getting all up in a mans face like that, I would still view a man getting up in a womans face noticeably worse.

and many feminists tend to react aggressively [like a man] simply if they not agreeing with an opinion [whether it falls under sexism or not]

I refer to the topic I started here as a great example:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4403924

a fair amount of women disagreed with my opinion, and stated their views in a normal civil fashion. A certain feminist saw the topic and came in, and launched an aggressive foul mouthed personal attack at myself ...which actually ended up getting deleted [I did not report it]
    The feminist in question has a reputation for ridiculing men [or trying to] with elliot rodger jokes, and she does this at any dude experiencing trouble with women. A simple "I can't get any matches from Tinder after 500 swipes" topic would attract this feminist to start mocking the male OP with elliot rodger jibes ..etc

this type of behavior is not typical female behavior. She has the aggression and this viciousness of a male troll!

her T-levels are probably like 5 times that of a normal woman..
    That’s because you’d label ALL women who refer to you as sexist as feminists?

:rofl: This is hilarious.

It is a fact, you took this scale didn’t you? It’s a pretty good measure of sexism, it stems from peer-reviewed research using the scientific method, by highly influential social psychologists.
    It has ecological validity and it is predictive of attitudes and even behaviours. Can’t get more objective than that sugar

And what does one individual say about the general population? I can find a male poster who posts vile misogynistic comments and should I use that as the prototype of all men who are not feminists? Using your logic that is precisely what I should do.

I have never seen somebody take the principles of logic and morph them as you do. Reason just do not apply here does it.

Do you think people high in racism, identify as racists? Or do you think they may disagree with that accusation. They may say things like, I’m not a racist, but black and white people are just fundamentally different. I’m not racist I’m just correct.

It takes intelligence to remove yourself from the situation, take a step back, and look at yourself from an outsiders perspective. Knock off alll the self-protective bias, and just take a look at your attitudes.

But it is highly difficult.
    If someone openly identified as holding sexist ideologies, they wouldn’t be sexist. Because they’d be recognising that their attitudes are not valid. However sexist individuals genuinely believe that their attitudes are valid, and therefore not sexist.

How can you be sexist, or racist if you are in the right?

ReputationRep:
    guys join the debate on this forum as well: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...rimary_content

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.