Turn on thread page Beta

good books for 17 and 18 year olds? watch

ReputationRep:
    something with a good story that really captivates you! all recommendations welcome
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Any of the Grisha books by Leigh Bardugo! They’re soooo addictive. Anything by Sarah J Maas is also really great and if you’re looking for something more real-life then the Alex Cross books by James Patterson are good crime novels. Feel free to PM me if you need anymore recommendations, I happen to really like books

ReputationRep:
    Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide (all 5 books). Excellent comedy sci-fi saga.
    (Also the Communist Manifesto! It doesn't have a story, but it is captivating :P)

ReputationRep:
    It became a bit more mainstream in 2016 with the movie that came out of it, but I really recommend the Peculiar Children book series by Ransom Riggs! It can be a bit confusing but it's genuinely sooo good I love them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stanleyoldfield)
    something with a good story that really captivates you! all recommendations welcome
    War and peace I read it at age 15-16 one of my favourite books highly recommend to get the Richard Peaver and Larissa Volokhonsky translation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plklupu)
    (Also the Communist Manifesto! It doesn't have a story, but it is captivating :P)
    ive heard a lot about them!! ive listened to the radio show but never read the books! i will keep them ij mind, thankyou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    War and peace I read it at age 15-16 one of my favourite books highly recommend to get the Richard Peaver and Larissa Volokhonsky translation.
    i think my mum has read it and enjoyed it! isnt it meant to be massive tho?!

ReputationRep:
    The Bible :3

Spoiler:
    Show

Joking,
    The Silver Sequence is one of my favourite trilogies, despite it being a young adult series

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Estaphel)
    It became a bit more mainstream in 2016 with the movie that came out of it, but I really recommend the Peculiar Children book series by Ransom Riggs! It can be a bit confusing but it's genuinely sooo good I love them.
    ooh sounds like an interesting read!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdwardBarfield9)
    The Bible :3

Spoiler:
    Show

Joking,
    The Silver Sequence is one of my favourite trilogies, despite it being a young adult series
    sounds good, i will look into it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldilocks12)
    Any of the Grisha books by Leigh Bardugo! They’re soooo addictive. Anything by Sarah J Maas is also really great and if you’re looking for something more real-life then the Alex Cross books by James Patterson are good crime novels. Feel free to PM me if you need anymore recommendations, I happen to really like books
    thanks for the reccomendations i have read books by Patterson before, he is a great writer
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    To be honest I found Frankenstein in Baghad to be great

If you want something amusing though go for the Clovenhoof books - absolutely hilarious!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plklupu)
    I would absolutely second this. I took the Hitchhiker's Guide Omnibus on holiday with me to read by the pool side last year. By the end of the holiday, my then partner was sick to death of hearing me sniggering to myself as I read these brilliant set of books!

Spoiler:
    Show

"You think you've got problems? What are you supposed to do if you are a manically depressed robot? No, don't try to answer that. I'm fifty thousand times more intelligent than you and even I don't know the answer. It gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level." - Marvin the Paranoid Android :laugh::laugh::laugh:

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend the book Kim Kardashian it's about how a **** hungry werewolf slut became the queen of england...... i think it's based on true events, although i could be wrong. It captivated the **** outta me i mean i didn't even think sluts were real but i guess i was wrong.

I also hear that Kanye gave it two grammys out of noone gives a fck, it's a pretty good rating if u ask me.

ReputationRep:
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
    Dark Matter by Blake Crouch

Really great books that any age, any gender person can love. Much recommend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fowlere)
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
    Dark Matter by Blake Crouch

Really great books that any age, any gender person can love. Much recommend
    Dark Matter is amazing!!

ReputationRep:
    i think my mum has read it and enjoyed it! isnt it meant to be massive tho?!
    1215 pages was the one I read well worth it though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackwinch)
    I would absolutely second this. I took the Hitchhiker's Guide Omnibus on holiday with me to read by the pool side last year. By the end of the holiday, my then partner was sick to death of hearing me sniggering to myself as I read these brilliant set of books!

Spoiler:
    Show

"You think you've got problems? What are you supposed to do if you are a manically depressed robot? No, don't try to answer that. I'm fifty thousand times more intelligent than you and even I don't know the answer. It gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level." - Marvin the Paranoid Android :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I remember feeling a deep sadness at the void left in my heart when I finished book 5. What a journey Adams took me on.

ReputationRep:
    The Lovely Bones by Alice Seybold!!

The Gunslinger and the following Dark Tower books by Stephen King.
    The Magicians trilogy by Lev Grossman.
    Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton.
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell.
    The collected fiction of H. P. Lovecraft.
    The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien.

Spoiler:
    Show
    /me resists the urge to plug his own novel...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.