good books for 17 and 18 year olds?

Watch
stanleyoldfield
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
something with a good story that really captivates you! all recommendations welcome
Advertisement
goldilocks12
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Any of the Grisha books by Leigh Bardugo! They’re soooo addictive. Anything by Sarah J Maas is also really great and if you’re looking for something more real-life then the Alex Cross books by James Patterson are good crime novels. Feel free to PM me if you need anymore recommendations, I happen to really like books
username2424985
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide (all 5 books). Excellent comedy sci-fi saga.
(Also the Communist Manifesto! It doesn't have a story, but it is captivating :P)
Advertisement
Estaphel
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It became a bit more mainstream in 2016 with the movie that came out of it, but I really recommend the Peculiar Children book series by Ransom Riggs! It can be a bit confusing but it's genuinely sooo good I love them.
Anonymous1502
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by stanleyoldfield)
something with a good story that really captivates you! all recommendations welcome
War and peace I read it at age 15-16 one of my favourite books highly recommend to get the Richard Peaver and Larissa Volokhonsky translation.
Advertisement
stanleyoldfield
Rep:
?
(Original post by plklupu)
(Also the Communist Manifesto! It doesn't have a story, but it is captivating :P)
ive heard a lot about them!! ive listened to the radio show but never read the books! i will keep them ij mind, thankyou
stanleyoldfield
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous1502)
War and peace I read it at age 15-16 one of my favourite books highly recommend to get the Richard Peaver and Larissa Volokhonsky translation.
i think my mum has read it and enjoyed it! isnt it meant to be massive tho?!
Advertisement
EdwardBarfield9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The Bible :3

Spoiler:
Show

Joking,
The Silver Sequence is one of my favourite trilogies, despite it being a young adult series
stanleyoldfield
Rep:
?
(Original post by Estaphel)
It became a bit more mainstream in 2016 with the movie that came out of it, but I really recommend the Peculiar Children book series by Ransom Riggs! It can be a bit confusing but it's genuinely sooo good I love them.
ooh sounds like an interesting read!
Advertisement
stanleyoldfield
Rep:
?
(Original post by EdwardBarfield9)
The Bible :3

Spoiler:
Show

Joking,
The Silver Sequence is one of my favourite trilogies, despite it being a young adult series
sounds good, i will look into it
stanleyoldfield
Rep:
?
(Original post by goldilocks12)
Any of the Grisha books by Leigh Bardugo! They’re soooo addictive. Anything by Sarah J Maas is also really great and if you’re looking for something more real-life then the Alex Cross books by James Patterson are good crime novels. Feel free to PM me if you need anymore recommendations, I happen to really like books
thanks for the reccomendations i have read books by Patterson before, he is a great writer
Advertisement
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
To be honest I found Frankenstein in Baghad to be great

If you want something amusing though go for the Clovenhoof books - absolutely hilarious!
jackwinch
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by plklupu)
I would absolutely second this. I took the Hitchhiker's Guide Omnibus on holiday with me to read by the pool side last year. By the end of the holiday, my then partner was sick to death of hearing me sniggering to myself as I read these brilliant set of books!

Spoiler:
Show

"You think you've got problems? What are you supposed to do if you are a manically depressed robot? No, don't try to answer that. I'm fifty thousand times more intelligent than you and even I don't know the answer. It gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level." - Marvin the Paranoid Android :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Advertisement
cman123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'd recommend the book Kim Kardashian it's about how a **** hungry werewolf slut became the queen of england...... i think it's based on true events, although i could be wrong. It captivated the **** outta me i mean i didn't even think sluts were real but i guess i was wrong.

I also hear that Kanye gave it two grammys out of noone gives a fck, it's a pretty good rating if u ask me.
fowlere
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
Dark Matter by Blake Crouch

Really great books that any age, any gender person can love. Much recommend
goldilocks12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by fowlere)
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
Dark Matter by Blake Crouch

Really great books that any age, any gender person can love. Much recommend
Dark Matter is amazing!!
Anonymous1502
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i think my mum has read it and enjoyed it! isnt it meant to be massive tho?!
1215 pages was the one I read well worth it though.
Advertisement
username2424985
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jackwinch)
I would absolutely second this. I took the Hitchhiker's Guide Omnibus on holiday with me to read by the pool side last year. By the end of the holiday, my then partner was sick to death of hearing me sniggering to myself as I read these brilliant set of books!

Spoiler:
Show

"You think you've got problems? What are you supposed to do if you are a manically depressed robot? No, don't try to answer that. I'm fifty thousand times more intelligent than you and even I don't know the answer. It gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level." - Marvin the Paranoid Android :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I remember feeling a deep sadness at the void left in my heart when I finished book 5. What a journey Adams took me on.
KatelynWayman
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The Lovely Bones by Alice Seybold!!
Tootles
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The Gunslinger and the following Dark Tower books by Stephen King.
The Magicians trilogy by Lev Grossman.
Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton.
Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell.
The collected fiction of H. P. Lovecraft.
The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien.

Spoiler:
Show
/me resists the urge to plug his own novel...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (133)
29.62%
No (316)
70.38%

Watched Threads