Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can my then ex girlfriend go to prison for lying to the police in her statement watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was charged with a communications act 2003 offence of making menacing and threats towards her then ex boyfriend via social media and she reported me to police.
    She lied in her witness statement of not knowing me and hasn't met me before and had no relationship with me. Even though we had a very close relationship everyday we met and spoke for nearly a year we was together.
    My social worker said it's like a serious domestic due to the nature of it.
    The police confiscated my phone to recover all the romantic, passionate texts we exchanged to verify if she had been lying.
    Could she go to prison for lying to the police?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Lying to the police is often perverting the course of justice, if I'm not mistaken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leep1988)
    I was charged with a communications act 2003 offence of making menacing and threats towards her then ex boyfriend via social media and she reported me to police.
    She lied in her witness statement of not knowing me and hasn't met me before and had no relationship with me. Even though we had a very close relationship everyday we met and spoke for nearly a year we was together.
    My social worker said it's like a serious domestic due to the nature of it.
    The police confiscated my phone to recover all the romantic, passionate texts we exchanged to verify if she had been lying.
    Could she go to prison for lying to the police?
    Perverting the course of justice if they want to charge her and if the CPS want to prosecute. Bad move.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    it is a very serious offence to conspire to send someone to prison.

ReputationRep:
    it depends on the level of seriousness of this situation, if anyone is suited to go to prison or jail or whatever. If it's a big case, big consequences. Small case, small consequences. it also depends on how austere whoever handles the case is.

ReputationRep:
    Plus it wasn't directed at her at all but she reported it. Police even stated to me that she was sheepish when given her Statement

ReputationRep:
    Probably not perverting the course of justice, as there is no indication of a conspiracy or even malicious intent in the misrepresentation. Perverting the course of justice is reserved for the most serious cases only.

It would probably come under the offence of giving "false written statements tendered in evidence", here and here.

If any person in a written statement tendered in evidence in criminal proceedings ... wilfully makes a statement material in those proceedings which he knows to be false or does not believe to be true, he shall be liable on conviction on indictment to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years or a fine or both.
    The question is whether the police and CPS wish to proceed, given there seems to be no malcontent in her providing the false written statement. For starters, you would still be liable for Malicious Comms even if the police and CPS knew you were in a relationship with your ex partner at the time. So it is unclear what desired effect of the lying was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    Probably not perverting the course of justice, as there is no indication of a conspiracy or even malicious intent in the misrepresentation. Perverting the course of justice is reserved for the most serious cases only.

It would probably come under the offence of giving "false written statements tendered in evidence", here and here.

The question is whether the police and CPS wish to proceed, given there seems to be no malcontent in her providing the false written statement. For starters, you would still be liable for Malicious Comms even if the police and CPS knew you were in a relationship with your ex partner at the time. So it is unclear what desired effect of the lying was.
    after he googled all this what he's saying is,

you'll still get in trouble even if she doesn't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bang Outta Order)
    after he googled all this what he's saying is,

you'll still get in trouble even if she doesn't
    I don't understand why there is any shame in Googling something. "Ahh, but you only know that because you learnt it!" The source of my knowledge is only relevant if I am trying to prove that I naturally know more than everyone else. Few people have that ambition once they enter adulthood, but curious that you expect to see said ambition in people ...

If you don't have anything helpful to say to OP, keep quiet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    I don't understand why there is any shame in Googling something. "Ahh, but you only know that because you learnt it!" The source of my knowledge is only relevant if I am trying to prove that I naturally know more than everyone else. Few people have that ambition once they enter adulthood, but curious that you expect to see said ambition in people ...

If you don't have anything helpful to say to OP, keep quiet.
    I already provided my thoughts. I was reiterating your verbose statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leep1988)
    Plus it wasn't directed at her at all but she reported it. Police even stated to me that she was sheepish when given her Statement
    they might drop the case, it's all pretty silly anyway.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.