Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

As you can't tell I'll be giving my iGCSEs this year in the May-June session and I'm really stressed so whilst procrastinating I decided to make this forum so we can all discuss our revision tips and help each other out!

So let's start by giving our subjects predicted grades or any iGCSE or GCSE already given and then below you can give any question or problem or any subject you struggle with.

So I'll start:

I study:

Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    English language A (2011)
    English literature (2011)
    Mathematics
    Economics
    Geography
    History
    Further pure mathematics

I'm predicted all A*s and an A in further pure mathematics

Oh and I've given my Urdu as a second language GCSE last year and got an A*

But the subjects I'm really worried for are literature because im just terrible at it, and history just because of the sheer amount of work you have to learn for it. Any tips for either of them?

But I love science and math and I'm great at them so if anyone needs any help in that subject area I'll be happy to assist you!☺️

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I've already taken Maths (got a B), English Language and English Literature (got A*'s!!) and atm I'm studying for Biology, Physics and French in the summer I suck at science tho so I'm fully expecting to get a D or smth

ReputationRep:
    do u need any help in science
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waves.123)
    Yh I’m IGcse chemistry and physics pal

ReputationRep:
    sure. what do u need help in? first off I would recommend these online revision guides which I've printed. THEY ARE AMAZING. they are called "shawon notes" they are essentially textbooks catered perfectly to edexcels iGCSE chemistry and physics syllabus. LITERALLY THEY ARE LIFESAVERS.

ReputationRep:
    short and to the point. and reduces revision times very drastically they are v easy to understand

ReputationRep:
    yeah, do you have any advice for remembering/answering questions on practical experiments? (mainly for biology)

ReputationRep:
    so for these "describe an experiment" questions there always 5 key things u need to mention in your answer which can be learnt by the following abbreviation:

CORMS

Change/control- first mention what variable you are investigating how u will change it and what range u will change it by. for instance a temperature change from 20 to 60. and then mention any type of control experiment if you can.

Organism-here you say what organism or living thing ur investigating since it's biology there will always be some organism u can wrute about. try to give details about it for example it should be the same species, mass, size, age, gender etc. all to ensure a fair test takes place

Reliability/Repeat- this one is pretty straight forward in all of these questions u must write about repeating the experiment to obtain lots of results to compare and analyse for a pattern or calculate an average(mean) and always remember to discard anomalies

Measurement- here you want to wrote about what ur measuring and how you are measuring it i.e what instrument you are using. also there's usually a second mark for saying that in all experiments the time period after which u take ur readings should be the same obviously for a fair test

Same- this is also pretty easy usually worth 2 marks here you have to right about all the other control variables that u must keep the same to ensure a fair test and valid experiment since there are usually a lot of variables write as many as you can think of to get those 2 easy marks

REMEMBER TO WROTE IN FULL SENTENCES AND PARAGRAPHS

ReputationRep:
    I can give u an example model q.

so if the q was "describe an experiment to investigate the effect of pH on yeast" the following answer would score full.

In this experiment we are investigating the effect of pH on the growth of yeast so we must change the pH in each experiment from a range of 1 to 12 for example.

For our organism we are using yeast and to ensure a fair test we must use yeast of the same species the same mass of yeast and the same age of yeast in our experiments

to imrpove the reliability of our experiment we should repeat it using more yeast and calculate an average of results, discarding anomalies.

we will take measurements of the volume of carbon dioxide produced when yeast is allowed to respire in different pHs of glucose solution and the gas should be collected in a gas syringe. these results should be taken after 1 hour of letting the yeast respire in each experiment

to ensure a fair test certain variables must be kept the same in each experiment such as the volume and concentration of the glucose solution, and the temperature of the environment.

see how I've individually dealt with each letter from CORMS. if u remember this model these q are tly quite easy.

HOPE THIS HELPS!

ReputationRep:
    vig
    Hi!

As you can't tell I'll be giving my iGCSEs this year in the May-June session and I'm really stressed so whilst procrastinating I decided to make this forum so we can all discuss our revision tips and help each other out!

So let's start by giving our subjects predicted grades or any iGCSE or GCSE already given and then below you can give any question or problem or any subject you struggle with.

So I'll start:

I study:

Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    English language A (2011)
    English literature (2011)
    Mathematics
    Economics
    Geography
    History
    Further pure mathematics

I'm predicted all A*s and an A in further pure mathematics

Oh and I've given my Urdu as a second language GCSE last year and got an A*

But the subjects I'm really worried for are literature because im just terrible at it, and history just because of the sheer amount of work you have to learn for it. Any tips for either of them?

But I love science and math and I'm great at them so if anyone needs any help in that subject area I'll be happy to assist you!☺️
    hey, any study tips for science subs specially for physics

ReputationRep:
    hey everyone!
    This is a revision website created specifically for Physics Edexcel IGCSE - https://app.senecalearning.com/class...a-17a3472c856c - it's totally free, so worth giving it a go!

ReputationRep:
    I can give u an example model q.

so if the q was "describe an experiment to investigate the effect of pH on yeast" the following answer would score full.

In this experiment we are investigating the effect of pH on the growth of yeast so we must change the pH in each experiment from a range of 1 to 12 for example.

For our organism we are using yeast and to ensure a fair test we must use yeast of the same species the same mass of yeast and the same age of yeast in our experiments

to imrpove the reliability of our experiment we should repeat it using more yeast and calculate an average of results, discarding anomalies.

we will take measurements of the volume of carbon dioxide produced when yeast is allowed to respire in different pHs of glucose solution and the gas should be collected in a gas syringe. these results should be taken after 1 hour of letting the yeast respire in each experiment

to ensure a fair test certain variables must be kept the same in each experiment such as the volume and concentration of the glucose solution, and the temperature of the environment.

see how I've individually dealt with each letter from CORMS. if u remember this model these q are tly quite easy.

HOPE THIS HELPS!
    this is rly helpful, thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    no problem.

ReputationRep:
    yes can message me on insta s1dan_23 im also doing igcse edexcel this year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LarissaAlves)
    hey everyone!
    This is a revision website created specifically for Physics Edexcel IGCSE - https://app.senecalearning.com/class...a-17a3472c856c - it's totally free, so worth giving it a go!
    rlly useful, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi mate im doing both physics and chemistry igcse and i really want A* OR A in both i would like your help with understanding and rememebering topics im more confortable in physics than chem and theirs only a month left. WHAT SHOULD I DO PAL?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haaji)
    Hi mate im doing both physics and chemistry igcse and i really want A* OR A in both i would like your help with understanding and rememebering topics im more confortable in physics than chem and theirs only a month left. WHAT SHOULD I DO PAL?
    I'd be happy to help. just tell me which topics

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm taking my 4 igcses this summer too (the rest next year). Does anyone know any of the predicted questions/texts for Biology (2011), Geography (2011) or English Language A (2016). I'm also really confused as to how the Biology exam is divided up. I know there are two papers, but what is different about the two? Thank you xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elizamunday02)
    Hi, I'm taking my 4 igcses this summer too (the rest next year). Does anyone know any of the predicted questions/texts for Biology (2011), Geography (2011) or English Language A (2016). I'm also really confused as to how the Biology exam is divided up. I know there are two papers, but what is different about the two? Thank you xx
    hi.im giving all those exams too except I'm still on the old English language syllabus.

so first, basically, the biology exam paper 1 is two hours long worth 120 marks and does not test the whole syllabus only the stuff in the specification that is not in bold. paper 2 on the other hand is usually much harder has more thinking questions and assesses the whole syllabus even the bold specifications and it's shorter: one hour only

u can't rly predict any q for science.

for geo im rly scared. I hate geo. I'm doing rivers, hazards, economic activity, urbanisation and globalisation as my topics. and my predictions are they are gonna repeat a lot of q from past papers or so my teacher says.

ReputationRep:
    any tips for how to revise for physics

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.