Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

URGENT!! Shared house with girlfriend watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am a first year uni student and next year me and 5 friends want to share a house together, as does my girlfriend. However 7 bed properties dont exist where I live and so we are considering a 6 bed property, but landlords dont allow for 7 people in a 6 bed property, so we were not going to list her as a tenant. She is going to pay her equal share of the bills of course, but we are worried about the landlord finding out and her getting in trouble or us getting kicked out or something. Has anyone else shared a house with a partner where you or them weren't a listed tenant. Or has anyone lived with a couple in this situation.

Is it likely that the landlord would find out in anyway and how would she/he find out?

ReputationRep:
    It's not really the same thing but I did once keep a cat hidden for a year but that's because the landlord lived overseas and rarely visited so I'd say it depends on how much the landlord is going to visit but if you do get caught you can just say she's visiting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frowlands)
    It's not really the same thing but I did once keep a cat hidden for a year but that's because the landlord lived overseas and rarely visited so I'd say it depends on how much the landlord is going to visit but if you do get caught you can just say she's visiting.
    I think most of the landlords live local to the area, can you think of anyways the landlord could find out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anthony Smith 88)
    I think most of the landlords live local to the area, can you think of anyways the landlord could find out
    The only way I'd imagine your landlord finding out is if someone told them or if they came round and saw proof that she lived there, like her mail or something, most other things you could probably lie your way out of

ReputationRep:
    Just wait for the arguments about dividing the bills equally, use of hot water, taking up space in the fridge, room on the sofa. My least favourite was the guy whose girlfriend always used baby oil in the bath and never washed it out. Rocky times ahead.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you piss your flatmates off I can't see why your landlord would ever find out. Just make sure your room isn't filled with stuff which clearly belongs to her when he comes to inspect. Your landlord will ahve to give 24 hours notice to enter the property so he won't surprise you or anything. The only way to find out would be if one of your flatmates complained.

It's a risky move though, couples tend to annoy people more than individuals and your girlfriend would be left homeless if you broke up.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.