Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Firm for unconditional or strive under pressuring circumstances watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So currently I’m studying 3 A levels (2 at the sixth form of the high school I’ve been at since year 11 and 1 at another sixth form. I study at this other sixth form because one of my subjects got discontinued due to low numbers of students continuing from AS to A-Level so that was the solution they found for me. I got an offer from Brighton (the usual if you firm us we’ll make your offer unconditional) and I’m still waiting for my first choice (Sussex). Going to the other sixth form has meant massive disruptions in my normal timetable and that I only have 1 two hour lessons each week at my normal school for each of my two subjects. I’m constantly tired as I have to get the bus which is a two hour journey there and then another two hours back (I got a bursary to pay for cabs but they said it was too expensive and stopped paying ). I guess my question is should I just firm Brighton for the unconditional? Just because I’m not feeling confident at all for this year. I was thinking I can just do three years at Brighton (psychology) and then do a masters at Sussex. Or should I just firm Sussex and hope for the best. Either way, I will work hard but having an unconditional will take so much pressure off me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thandie263)
    So currently I’m studying 3 A levels (2 at the sixth form of the high school I’ve been at since year 11 and 1 at another sixth form. I study at this other sixth form because one of my subjects got discontinued due to low numbers of students continuing from AS to A-Level so that was the solution they found for me. I got an offer from Brighton (the usual if you firm us we’ll make your offer unconditional) and I’m still waiting for my first choice (Sussex). Going to the other sixth form has meant massive disruptions in my normal timetable and that I only have 1 two hour lessons each week at my normal school for each of my two subjects. I’m constantly tired as I have to get the bus which is a two hour journey there and then another two hours back (I got a bursary to pay for cabs but they said it was too expensive and stopped paying ). I guess my question is should I just firm Brighton for the unconditional? Just because I’m not feeling confident at all for this year. I was thinking I can just do three years at Brighton (psychology) and then do a masters at Sussex. Or should I just firm Sussex and hope for the best. Either way, I will work hard but having an unconditional will take so much pressure off me.
    Quite frankly your school sounds like a Joke.

Report them to the authority, like wtf? A subject gets discontinued (not your fault) and now they can't even find/fund you a non-tiring efficient system.

4 hours by bus!? They are seriously taking the piss.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar situation, I also got an unconditional for brighton (if i firm them) but have conditional offers from other unis. I've fallen very far behind in my classes due to circumstances and I'm also not feeling confident at all. I'm heading to an applicant day in brighton next month to see if I like it there and to decide whether to firm it or not. You should be able to log onto the student central on brightons website and book an applicant day, I'd suggest going to it and walking around the campus to see if you feel good about going there. Otherwise you'll have to weather the storm I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    So currently I’m studying 3 A levels (2 at the sixth form of the high school I’ve been at since year 11 and 1 at another sixth form. Either way, I will work hard but having an unconditional will take so much pressure off me.
    Is your school genuinely unable to devise a technological solution to this problem? Do you really have to physically attend the other college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bulletzone)
    Quite frankly your school sounds like a Joke.

Report them to the authority, like wtf? A subject gets discontinued (not your fault) and now they can't even find/fund you a non-tiring efficient system.

4 hours by bus!? They are seriously taking the piss.
    This is what EVERYONE has been saying about my school even the other school they sent me to! Reporting them won’t do anything I’m afraid but it was a nice idea haha. There is literally nothing else I can do. So I just don’t know I’m so demotivated by it I don’t know what to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omacmano98)
    I'm in a similar situation, I also got an unconditional for brighton (if i firm them) but have conditional offers from other unis. I've fallen very far behind in my classes due to circumstances and I'm also not feeling confident at all. I'm heading to an applicant day in brighton next month to see if I like it there and to decide whether to firm it or not. You should be able to log onto the student central on brightons website and book an applicant day, I'd suggest going to it and walking around the campus to see if you feel good about going there. Otherwise you'll have to weather the storm I'm afraid.
    Yeah that’s what I’ve planned on doing too, the psychology applicant day next month, see if I like it and if I can see myself there. I mean it’s a lovely campus but I wouldn’t be there for the right reasons. I’d only be there because two in the area I want to be in. Brighton is amazing and my heart is set on Sussex but I just don’t know what to do! Good luck with your studies though, there’s still some time to catch up on everything and I’m sure you definitely can do it, nothing is impossible (relatively speaking). I hope the applicant day helps you with your decision

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrSocSciences)
    Is your school genuinely unable to devise a technological solution to this problem? Do you really have to physically attend the other college?
    Yep i have to physically be there in person for the lessons. My query is why am I sacrificing 8 hours of my other two subjects EACH just to attend all lessons of one subject. It’s ridiculous

ReputationRep:
    Yep i have to physically be there in person for the lessons. My query is why am I sacrificing 8 hours of my other two subjects EACH just to attend all lessons of one subject. It’s ridiculous
    What is your Sussex offer? Ditto Brighton if you don't firm them? What are your predictions, both official and your own view?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I understand that it's easier for both schools if you comply and do the legwork, but can't you suggest a technological solution, or leverage your own school's obligation, in identifying a tech solution?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    What is your Sussex offer? Ditto Brighton if you don't firm them? What are your predictions, both official and your own view?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I’ve applied for two courses at Sussex, Psych with Education (AAB-ABB) and Psych with foundation year (BCC-CCC). Brighton is BBC-BCC for Applied Psychology BSc. But unconditional if I form them. I’m predicted AAA but at the rate I’m going now I feel like I could just about scrape BBC. I know I’m capable of getting higher grades but you just really don’t know with A-Levels

ReputationRep:
    I’ve applied for two courses at Sussex, Psych with Education (AAB-ABB) and Psych with foundation year (BCC-CCC). Brighton is BBC-BCC for Applied Psychology BSc. But unconditional if I form them. I’m predicted AAA but at the rate I’m going now I feel like I could just about scrape BBC. I know I’m capable of getting higher grades but you just really don’t know with A-Levels
    If you get an offer from Sussex for the main course I would suggest firming that and insuring Brighton. If you only get BBC , ie the low end of your expectations, you would still get in there. If you get slightly below, Brighton might well still accept you.

If Sussex only offer you the foundation year course (which I can't see them doing given your predictions) then think again.

One other suggestion... At some point after making your choices and well before results day, you could ask your referee to contact your firm and insurance and explain the difficulties you have been facing.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.