Nininoo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey folks, brace yourselves for a really long one...
I'm currently in upper sixth studying maths, music and chemistry. I am a performance focused violinist (Grade 8 distinction three years ago, loads of orchestral and leading/performing experience) and I am currently deciding between conservatoire and university to take music at after school. I am taking a gap year and will be applying to Royal Academy, Royal Scottish and a few others this coming year. This past year I applied for several universities for deferred entry as a back up to music college, because I still haven't fully decided what's best for me. My plan was to hold my two deferred offers through my college applications next year and then decide, however I was rejected from my first choice (Cambridge; was invited for interview!). I have been told to reapply by most people as apparently the chances of gaining an offer with deferred entry are considerably lower, so I'm considering reapplying alongside music college application. However, I found out today that I can't apply through UCAS while holding deferred offers?!? I have so many questions about what to do next...

1. Can I apply to UCAS conservatoires with a deferred offer?

2. Should I reapply to Cambridge, are my chances better next year given I'm predicted 3 A*s?

3. If I decide to decline my currently held offers in order to reapply next year, will unis like Queen's and Belfast reject me second time round?

4. Has ANYONE been in this situation before, and what did you end up doing?

5. Any advice at all about anything I've mentioned?

Please respond, I'm so upset and confused!!!
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Nininoo)
I'm currently in upper sixth studying maths, music and chemistry. I am a performance focused violinist (Grade 8 distinction three years ago, loads of orchestral and leading/performing experience) and I am currently deciding between conservatoire and university to take music at after school. I am taking a gap year and will be applying to Royal Academy, Royal Scottish and a few others this coming year. This past year I applied for several universities for deferred entry as a back up to music college, because I still haven't fully decided what's best for me. My plan was to hold my two deferred offers through my college applications next year and then decide, however I was rejected from my first choice (Cambridge; was invited for interview!). I have been told to reapply by most people as apparently the chances of gaining an offer with deferred entry are considerably lower, so I'm considering reapplying alongside music college application. However, I found out today that I can't apply through UCAS while holding deferred offers?!? I have so many questions about what to do next...

2. Should I reapply to Cambridge, are my chances better next year given I'm predicted 3 A*s?

3. If I decide to decline my currently held offers in order to reapply next year, will unis like Queen's and Belfast reject me second time round?

1. This is a bit of an unusual situation, so calling in PQ.

2. Have you received your feedback from Cambridge. This, plus your actual results in August, should inform your decision.

3. No, they will probably be desperately happy to receive an application from someone with good grades.

No opinion on 4 and 5.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Nininoo)

You would need to ring UCAS to get a solid answer on this - you can't hold a UF offer on UCAS and a GU1 offer on Conservatoires at the same time (when you try to do both in the same application cycle UCAS ask you to pick which one to be withdrawn from) - but as long as you're willing to give up a deferred UF offer when accepting a GU offer on Conservatoires then in theory it should be ok. You couldn't hold 2 deferred offers on both systems though and I'm not sure if you can defer an offer on Conservatoires.

I'd suggest not worrying about accepting the offers you've got this year. Focus on getting the grades you are capable of and practice audition pieces (and if you can arrange practice auditions). Then reapply in October through both UCAS (including Cambridge) and UCAS Conservatoires for 2019 entry. You can then get offers from as many as possible and make a judgement in the March/April time of 2019 about which options to take up. Wasting your mental energy on it now isn't a good idea - there's too many "what ifs" to make it worthwhile.

Universities don't hold grudges - you're very likely to get offers again from the universities you have offers from this year (unless they have an unprecedented and unexpected enormous increase in applications from amazingly talented musicians).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (362)
66.91%
No (179)
33.09%

Watched Threads