Turn on thread page Beta

Hmm life has meaning but watch

ReputationRep:
    Now away from philosophy and back to what really matters if possible today I’d become a famous punk rocker **** the queen to death then go home have a cuppa coffee and watch some preacher you know the basics
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Either that or get a working hover board and fly about a bit not fussed about which

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IDOZ)
    I would explore the universe
    And possibly see whats beyond...
    And get a raccoon addicted to coke give him a gun and jet pack and call him rocket ?

ReputationRep:
    Hey you could even get a plant pot and call him groot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lejax)
    We are souls plugged into a device without the body we would not feel or understand existence but without the soul we would not react to the data given we would perceive nothing more than circles orbiting and colliding waves and flashes explosions and quantum entanglement but of all this we would understand nothing we would see chaos without reason or control
    Romantic piffle, but piffle nonetheless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    Romantic piffle, but piffle nonetheless.
    Then how come we all think differently react differently even if we had the same genetic tissue shape and structure we are still so different?

We all have different concepts to what it is that make us us but by any other name just as sweet even if you call it something else the concept is simple we are more than flesh same with animals what makes us react the way we do no amount of science has yet fully grasped the concept of what makes up our personality and why we think the way we do

There is nuero science psychology so on but they still only scrape the surface

and even if it was proven that a soul does not exist where those who spoke of it not perhaps trying to work out in their medieval or ancient science what it was that made us so different from each other in mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lejax)
    Then how come we all think differently react differently even if we had the same genetic tissue shape and structure we are still so different?

We all have different concepts to what it is that make us us but by any other name just as sweet even if you call it something else the concept is simple we are more than flesh same with animals what makes us react the way we do no amount of science has yet fully grasped the concept of what makes up our personality and why we think the way we do

There is nuero science psychology so on but they still only scrape the surface

and even if it was proven that a soul does not exist where those who spoke of it not perhaps trying to work out in their medieval or ancient science what it was that made us so different from each other in mind
    The onus is not on me to categorically disprove the existence of a soul, but on you to categorically demonstrate it. This god-of-the-gaps-esque claptrap just isn't sufficient. There are many good arguments against the existence of a 'soul', unless you want to categorise 'soul' in some really arcane or mundane way, in which case use a different word that is not loaded with connotation. Why are we 'more than flesh'? You assert it a lot. There are innumerate causes and conditions that affect each and every person to differing degrees. We are each the 'same' (sort of) and each very, very different. This much should be obvious.

ReputationRep:
    For starters this was a response to the philosophy so yes I agree it isn't fact and it most certainly isn't provable much like all theology its a way of reasoning with the unknown

But often you find truth amidst these myths

Secondly yes I can't prove it I can not physically show you a non corporeal being I cant let you see my soul much as I can't show you a heaven hell or any other that's sort of the point of religion and philosophy its a way of probing the uknown that well can't be touched physically and as this wasn't intended to be religious but to be my own philosical idea on the matter of consciousness and non corporeal existence I won't go into religion heck I'm not even that religious to begin with

My main view is I am not just a corporeal body why because I feel that's the case I feel that my actions thoughts and feeling are beyond that of just some well crafted machine I feel and that feeling those emotions are in my belief more than just something spawned from some logical scientific formula I feel that if I cry and how I act isnt something you could simply predict or explain through any form of science and I feel that beyond religion there are others who feel the same

I think most people believe their actions are more than just some genetic code and nerves more than just electricity and a formulae and I believe honestly that you could not simply describe what made me me through math

ReputationRep:
    But I will say this you nor I are wrong I personally agree with you somewhat and I allways like to discover more in science I just don't like the idea o us all being no more than flesh and naturally you can't prove something that isn't physical or see able exists or doesn't so the idea of a soul is naturally not disreputable

ReputationRep:
    And the onus isn't on either of us as we both are entitled to our view many scientists believe in the idea of a soul its an idea that has lasted longer than science science originated from parlour tricks magicians and the occult also some came from the church some from Wicca and some from artists

Some believed in zombies and re animation some creating gold some where thieves or prisoners and some where some killed themselves with their own inventions my point being science works and is good but most of the best scientists where as mad as the religious nuts brilliant but mad.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2018
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.