Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do looks matter in a relationship? watch

ReputationRep:
    Should it be personality over looks or should looks be the main part? my friends always say "you won't be walking down the street with their personality though" . I personally think it should be personality with looks as only a small part of it ......

ReputationRep:
    in a relationship i`d say looks play 70% of the work whilst personality plays 30%, that is for both sexes.

ReputationRep:
    Indirectly, but ultimately you can’t help what you fall in love with
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Is the sky blue? Is my dig bick?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rest in Pizza)
    in a relationship i`d say looks play 70% of the work whilst personality plays 30%, that is for both sexes.
    Although personality probably begins to play a greater role as the person moves into their late 20`s and 30`s at whic point it is probably 50:50 instead of 70:30.

ReputationRep:
    to start a relationship yes. to maintain one, no.

ReputationRep:
    Its 80% looks, most couples have the same level of attractiveness. You don't often see an attractive woman with a gargoyle unless he was rich.

Looks play a role in whether I'm initially attracted to someone, but they don't have to be amazingly good looking, just above average. It's their personality that keeps me interested. My ex was decent but not super handsome, not someone I'd consider to by my dream man by any stretch of the imagination. But if I could marry and spend the rest of my life with him then I would. It's great if someone's both really fit and got a wonderful personality, but looks can fade so personality is most important. That said, they probably do have to be above a 6/10, I just don't care about if they're a 9 or 10.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Not to me.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by The Night King)
    Is my dig bick?
    I wouldn't know.:hand:

Were those pointless questions?:sly:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    I wouldn't know.:hand:

Were those pointless questions?:sly:
    You read it wrong though don’t lie

Nah they were rhetorical to answer OP’s title. In other words, looks matter in a relationship
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by The Night King)
    You read it wrong though don’t lie

Nah they were rhetorical to answer OP’s title. In other words, looks matter in a relationship
    Reader-response theory states that the reader attributes meaning to text, not the write.

An answer, hazzar!

ReputationRep:

This is what i've been saying,

but most people online seem to think it's like 70% personality, 30% looks..

This is why PUA is so popular, it makes the male believe looks play a minimal role in attraction and that personality makes up the lion share, and that if you just can say this, and just say that to a woman you can attract her and get any girl into bed ..etc....

ReputationRep:
    The darkness inside should be a particular grade of black.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireogun)
    Should it be personality over looks or should looks be the main part? my friends always say "you won't be walking down the street with their personality though" . I personally think it should be personality with looks as only a small part of it ......
    Appearance has probably played a role in the mate selection of our ancestors since shortly after they first evolved to possess greater-than-elementary vision, or to reproduce sexually; whichever occured last.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANM775)

This is why PUA is so popular, it makes the male believe looks play a minimal role in attraction and that personality makes up the lion share, and that if you just can say this, and just say that to a woman you can attract her and get any girl into bed ..etc....
    What is a PUA? No wayyy, looks are the most important part in attraction,it is without a doubt around 70% of the stimuli, but i still stand by my assesment that personality gets abit of a boost for MOST as people mature and the ratio becomes slightly more even to 50:50. Going for somebody for their personality is like going to a bakery and buying the icing but leaving the actual cake behind(looks in this analogy).

ReputationRep:
    What is a PUA? No wayyy, looks are the most important part in attraction,it is without a doubt around 70% of the stimuli, but i still stand by my assesment that personality gets abit of a boost for MOST as people mature and the ratio becomes slightly more even to 50:50. Going for somebody for their personality is like going to a bakery and buying the icing but leaving the actual cake behind(looks in this analogy).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seduction_community

I also saw a study once which said the older a woman gets the less picky she gets ...so probably looks does matter somewhat less the older people get...

but a 50/50 split at age 30 seems a tad ambitious imo...

ReputationRep:
    I think most people would settle for average looks if they had a great personality - the main thing for me when it comes to looks is that they look tidy, healthy, have a nice hair style and they’re fashionable.

Of course you want someone that gives you aesthetic pleasure, sometimes I see someone average that I wouldn’t look at twice since it’s nothing special but the way they talk or their actions just make them super attractive and hard to forget.

Also, looking average isn’t even that hard so it’s not really a big deal, being really attractive would probably be a bad thing because most people would like you 100% for looks and not the small things or your personality, sure everyone comes across the odd person that’s only interested in sex but imagine every encounter being that way??? It would drive me nuts tbh. Looks are like the spark and personality is the fuel, cheesy but it’s the perfect analogy.

ReputationRep:
    Looks are often the initial thing, many won't approach someone if they find them unattractive. Unless you've known the person for ages and got to know them before any attraction blossomed, attraction certainly normally gets the ball rolling. It's definitely important, you need some level of attraction. However, for long term and not just a fling, you need to pay more attention to personality. You can't live your life with no conversation and just a pretty face smiling back at you. Ultimately, I think personality is more important.

(Original post by ANM775)

neil strauss managed it and he's a 4/10

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.