Turn on thread page Beta

Bought a 1.8 Audi A3 sport Insurance help watch

ReputationRep:
    18 and just bought a 1.8 Audi a3 sport the provisional insurance was cheap but moving onto a full licence i would be expected to pay a 1000GBP deposit followed by 500GBP each month after any reason it could be so deer compared to other vehicles that are similar i notice there are people getting alot cheaper insurance at the same age with audi a4 1.8T i notice alot of company wont insure yet would the best bet be to stay on provisional till i get more experience?

ReputationRep:
    It's going to be expensive for the next few years no matter what you do anyway, because even when you pass it won't count years of driving experience. Some insurers allow you to carry over an NCB from your provisional insurance though. It's dear because you're young, and idiots drive Audis, they don't tend to need more of a reason than that
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by RyanBaxter1)
    18 and just bought a 1.8 Audi a3 sport the provisional insurance was cheap but moving onto a full licence i would be expected to pay a 1000GBP deposit followed by 500GBP each month after any reason it could be so deer compared to other vehicles that are similar i notice there are people getting alot cheaper insurance at the same age with audi a4 1.8T i notice alot of company wont insure yet would the best bet be to stay on provisional till i get more experience?
    Have you passed your test..? If so, your insurance is now null and void. You can't pick and choose what type of licence you have...

Why would you buy a car you couldn't afford to insure? :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    Have you passed your test..? If so, your insurance is now null and void. You can't pick and choose what type of licence you have...

Why would you buy a car you couldn't afford to insure? :facepalm:
    My understanding is he is still actually on a provisional license and hasn't passed his test yet. This is me giving outrageous benefit of the doubt which is something I have already learned to never do in this section; but I'd like to think this is the case. He's fallen into the common trap of thinking he could get insured on a lot of cars because the premium barely changes from car to car, then the shock of what it really costs on a full license hits you. I mean the car I wrote off was a 1.4, probably did myself a favour, the increased premiums still don't even come close to what kind of quotes I was actually getting on a 1.4 when I passed lmao.

If he is driving on his old insurance after passing, then he's a wee bit of a headcase, with all due respect! But just seems a little uninformed so I'll play nice.

ReputationRep:
    now im currently still on a provisional i believe i might be for another year or so yeh you kind of hit the nail on the head the provisional was cheap but for the full license can only get certain insurers and thats at a very big increase still i can afford to insure it and still might do thanks for the reply's

ReputationRep:
    And another reason for buing it was becasue it was 400 GBP
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    now im currently still on a provisional i believe i might be for another year or so yeh you kind of hit the nail on the head the provisional was cheap but for the full license can only get certain insurers and thats at a very big increase still i can afford to insure it and still might do thanks for the reply's
    You do know you can only drive when supervised, right? I don't see the point of buying a car like that when you need someone to supervise you...

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully till i get more experience and hopefully reduce my insurance slightly not sure what you mean by a car like that but i might even just pay the money for the full insurance once i pass my test
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hopefully till i get more experience and hopefully reduce my insurance slightly not sure what you mean by a car like that but i might even just pay the money for the full insurance once i pass my test
    Most learners don't even buy a car until they've passed their test, because the only time you're permitted to drive it is when you're accompanied by a suitable supervising person. You are aware of this, aren't you?

You can't go driving your car around on provisional insurance with a provisional licence on your own - just clarifying this extremely important point.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    £7000 for the year simply reflects the likelihood of you having a major collision and your insurance company having to fork out a lot of money to the parties you collide with. i.e. very high.

Wait until you are 25 to get a car like that.

ReputationRep:
    Driving on a provisional isn't going to decrease your insurance, some insurers won't even accept provisional NCB unless in the case that the same insurer is dealing with your full license insurance. When you pass the question is how long you've held your type of license - ie full license.

Also you don't get a choice, when you pass you HAVE to upgrade your policy to one that covers a full license holder. You cannot continue to drive on a provisional license holder's policy, that point's already been made though.

By "that sort of car" - we're talking big and relatively powerful by first time driver standards.

Just to confirm you're driving it only when supervised right?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You are aware that you don't actually have that choice, right? Once you pass your test you have to purchase new insurance, or you're committing an offence.

Most policies won't let you accrue no claims on provisional insurance as you're always supervised whilst driving.

ReputationRep:
    Yes to all those stated above i am driving only when supervised and i still might just pay for the insurance once/if i pass i am aware that i cannot drive if i have passed on a provisional and will not do so the reason i bought the car was because the insurance on the provisional was cheaper than most cars paying only 50 pound a month and the car was cheap

ReputationRep:
    Yes to all those stated above i am driving only when supervised and i still might just pay for the insurance once/if i pass i am aware that i cannot drive if i have passed on a provisional and will not do so the reason i bought the car was because the insurance on the provisional was cheaper than most cars paying only 50 pound a month and the car was cheap
    Provisional insurance is cheap on whatever car you have compared to full insurance. You should have checked the insurance cost for when you pass instead of just basing it off provisional insurance. You are better off on a smaller engine if you want cheaper. I guess you have fallen into your own trap here.

ReputationRep:
    Even if you can afford it, what's the excess and benefits like? I could afford to get insured on an S-Line Audi for 4 grand, but god help me if I crash. Honestly cars are holding such stupid value now to the point a non runner sells for like 400 quid you could probably get your money back for that Audi and buy yourself something sensible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    £7000 for the year simply reflects the likelihood of you having a major collision and your insurance company having to fork out a lot of money to the parties you collide with. i.e. very high.

Wait until you are 25 to get a car like that.
    Is £2.5K on a 2.2 Jaguar XF with a full license as a new driver good or bad?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Is £2.5K on a 2.2 Jaguar XF with a full license as a new driver good or bad?
    Not the right car for a new driver, unless you have a chauffeur.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Not the right car for a new driver, unless you have a chauffeur.
    I don't want a crappy car though, I've put 1.1 engines through insurance quotes before and it comes out about 2K. I refuse to pay 2 grand to insure a crappy little Clio or the like
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    I don't want a crappy car though, I've put 1.1 engines through insurance quotes before and it comes out about 2K. I refuse to pay 2 grand to insure a crappy little Clio or the like
    If you wanna look like a man in his early 70's, go for the Jag :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    If you wanna look like a man in his early 70's, go for the Jag :dontknow:
    I think they're nice looking cars personally, I wouldn't mind

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.