The Student Room Group

helppp !!! some questions about biological molecules

hey:P
i was just confused about some things . i would appreciate if someone would explain these answers to me .:tongue:
Thank you .

why is water able to absorb alot of energy ?
-why are water molecules held further apart in ice than in water?
-how does glucoses structure make it the main energy source?
-what enzymes that break down the molecule to get at the glycosidic bonds easily in amylopectin? and why do they need to do that ?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Sadilla
i was just confused about some things . i would appreciate if someone would explain these answers to me .:tongue:
Thank you .

-hat enzymes that break down the molecule to get at the glycosidic bonds easily in amylopectin? and why do they need to do that ?

Hi these are what i think
- Water can absorb a lot of energy because of the large number of hydrogen bonds that hold water molecules together
- not sure sorry
- I think its because its a monosaccharide so it doesnt need to be hydrolyzed/digested for it to be absorbed by the body
- Apparently amylase breaks down amylopectin since it is a starch. The glycosidic bonds between the amylopectin are hydrolyzed and broken by this enzyme into smaller subunits of sugar (maybe maltose, a disaccharide?)
Original post by Sadilla
Thank you .

-hat enzymes that break down the molecule to get at the glycosidic bonds easily in amylopectin? and why do they need to do that ?

1) probs due to the hydrogen bonds
2) probs also due to hydrogen bonds
3) it acts as a substrate for ATP (i think)
4) never heard of hat enzymes...

NOTE: I took a guess for Q2 and 3
Reply 3
1. H bonds hold molecules further apart
2. Glycosidic bonds hold energy
3. Amylase breaks 1-4 and Glucosidase breaks 1-6 linkages.

Quick Reply