Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am from Singapore and have secured an unconditional offer to study Law at Uni of Birmingham. I am interested in working either as a solicitor or barrister in the UK upon graduation.

Do Inns of Court provide scholarships to International Students to do the BPTC?

Also, do Law Firms provide sponsorship to International Students to do the LPC and, thereafter, be a Tier 2 Sponsor for work during the TC?

I know its a competitive job market out there and was wondering if anyone here is from Singapore or an International Student that managed to secure TCs or tenancies at Chambers.

ReputationRep:
    Can only really answer on the Solicitors part.

I’ve recruited enough Singaporeans into commercial law firms to know it is possible. It is difficult, and with so much change in the UK both with the economy, political landscape and also with the England
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Really don’t know what’s going on with TSR app this morning. First post got cut off and it now won’t let me edit it either...

So I’ll try again.

Was going to say the qualification process in England and Wales is due to change. All of these factors could make it more difficult for international students to secure a TC in the UK.

A small number of firms do provide sponsorship of the LPC (as it stands) and can also support the individual with a Tier 2 visa. These are mainly larger, international commercial firms.

The LPC will be transitioning to the SQE by the time you graduate. You will be eligible to complete the LPC where you will have started a QLD before 2020, but firms may start to transition their recruitment and training processes by the time you graduate. It is unclear how this may impact factors such as work permits for international students looking to work in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, thank you for your response. I read up about the SQE and apparently that will be transitioned over a decade which will done through to the 2030s, allowing
    students to decide which route to take in the mean time, either the LPC or the SQE. correct me if I'm wrong. The information I got from was article from Legal Cheek.

Thank you for your time anyways!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barrister88)
    Hey, thank you for your response. I read up about the SQE and apparently that will be transitioned over a decade which will done through to the 2030s, allowing
    students to decide which route to take in the mean time, either the LPC or the SQE. correct me if I'm wrong. The information I got from was article from Legal Cheek.

Thank you for your time anyways!
    It won’t necessarily be up for the students to decide. If firms choose to transition to the new system and you are expecting sponsorship and a work visa, be expected to do what they expect not what you want to do.

Because the non-law grads will have no option but the SQE from 2020, firms are likely to start transitioning much earlier than 2030. Plus the 2030 days is only speculation at the moment. The transition period has to run for a significant period for part-time students mainly. But firms are likely to adapt to the new system much earlier - despite concerns about quality of the new system, there are some major benefits which firms will want to adjust to.

ReputationRep:
    yes definitely will do what's expected by the law firms.

on another note, I am a mature student who will be 34 years old when I graduate. including the LPC/SQE and TC of 2 years by the time I am qualified I will be 37 years old.

Is my age of any concern in terms of securing interviews, TCs, etc. I do already have quite a bit of commercial experience mainly from working in the banking industry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barrister88)
    yes definitely will do what's expected by the law firms.

on another note, I am a mature student who will be 34 years old when I graduate. including the LPC/SQE and TC of 2 years by the time I am qualified I will be 37 years old.

Is my age of any concern in terms of securing interviews, TCs, etc. I do already have quite a bit of commercial experience mainly from working in the banking industry.
    Age won’t be an issue at all.

I’ve recruited trainees is their 30s, 40s and at least one in their 50s.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I'm looking to start the BPTC this year but graduated with my LLB in 2012 (6 years ago), which means that I have to do an Application for Reactivation of Stale Qualifications

I also completed a dual masters (including Law) in 2013 and have been working as an accountant since 2014.

Has anyone been through this application before and would be able to share their experience of applying / how long it took to get replies / chances of success from the BSB?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi all may I know if doing BPTC at UWE Law School is good please in terms course structure and teaching quality? Also, are the facilities good?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.