Do I Need to Change My UCAS Application for Dual Citizenship Watch

mandmdye
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am an American studying in Hong Kong at an International School. I used my USA passport for my UCAS application and already received conditional offers from all of the Universities I applied for.

After I made my application, I found I that I can get an Irish passport through my father. Although I will not qualify for EU fees (I will still have to pay international student fees since I live and study in Hong Kong), I have a few questions because of this situation that I hope someone can help me with:

1) Can I enter the UK with my Irish passport without having to get a student visa for my USA passport if I used my USA passport for my UCAS application? This would be easier since I will be moving out of Hong Kong in the summer and will not be able to collect my visa here before moving to the UK.

2) If I get a federal student loan from the USA but enter the UK on my Irish passport, will this be a problem since there will be no record of me entering the UK to study on my USA passport?

3) Shall I notify UCAS and the Universities that I have obtained an Irish passport and now have dual citizenship?

If anyone can help me out with these questions, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mandmdye)
I am an American studying in Hong Kong at an International School. I used my USA passport for my UCAS application and already received conditional offers from all of the Universities I applied for.

After I made my application, I found I that I can get an Irish passport through my father. Although I will not qualify for EU fees (I will still have to pay international student fees since I live and study in Hong Kong), I have a few questions because of this situation that I hope someone can help me with:

1) Can I enter the UK with my Irish passport without having to get a student visa for my USA passport if I used my USA passport for my UCAS application? This would be easier since I will be moving out of Hong Kong in the summer and will not be able to collect my visa here before moving to the UK.

2) If I get a federal student loan from the USA but enter the UK on my Irish passport, will this be a problem since there will be no record of me entering the UK to study on my USA passport?

3) Shall I notify UCAS and the Universities that I have obtained an Irish passport and now have dual citizenship?

If anyone can help me out with these questions, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
UCAS and the uni don't really need to know about your citizenship for admissions purposes but it will go on your student record when you register. I would check with the federal loan providing organisation how the situation would work for you but yes you can enter with an Irish passport without a visa.
mandmdye
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by alleycat393)
UCAS and the uni don't really need to know about your citizenship for admissions purposes but it will go on your student record when you register. I would check with the federal loan providing organisation how the situation would work for you but yes you can enter with an Irish passport without a visa.
Thank you for your help. It is good to know I can enter with my Irish passport. I will try do more research regarding the federal loan.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (6)
7.69%
Disagree (5)
6.41%
Neither agree or disagree (21)
26.92%
Agree (32)
41.03%
Strongly Agree (14)
17.95%

Watched Threads