Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I am a law student at the university of Essex who got an ADD at A levels. (Somehow I was allowed in through clearing). I hope to hopefully work in a magic circle firm in the future and am aware of their ABB/AAB A Level boundaries when it comes to training contract and job applications. Would it be wise to retake the 2 D's while at university?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Many firms will either 1) only consider your first sitting or 2) will look less favourably on A-levels sat years apart (more of a challenge in sitting three or more at the same time). However, others will be open minded and will see the retaking them as a desire to succeed and improve, which is always a good trait in a lawyer.

But two of the MC firms technically have no A-level requirements, although both stress academic excellence a lot in their recruitment materials.

There is potentially no harm in retaking them if you are 100% confident that you can get a strong 2.1 in all your modules, and that it won’t impact on your other commitments (extra curriculars, ability to do work experience, part-time work etc). Any negative impact on these areas, especially your uni modules, and I question whether retaking them is really a good idea. You also have to be confident you can improve your grades to As and Bs.

Even if you do manage it all though, I’d still be concerned that it doesn’t necessarily have the impact you want it to have.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
What's the best type of cheese?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.