Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can I email my letter of resignation or do I have to give it in person? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have been contemplating leaving my job at Tesco for a very long time and have finally decided to quit. I made a post here recently stating that I was depressed and felt that it would be best to quit my job.

I've thought about emailing a letter that would state that my resignation would take immediate effect. However, after reading up on this I have found that I would be at risk of a bad reference.

That leaves me having to give a week's notice for my resignation. I was wondering whether I should print out my letter of resignation or email it directly to the People Manager at the place I work?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by VerumThrowaway)
    I have been contemplating leaving my job at Tesco for a very long time and have finally decided to quit. I made a post here recently stating that I was depressed and felt that it would be best to quit my job.

I've thought about emailing a letter that would state that my resignation would take immediate effect. However, after reading up on this I have found that I would be at risk of a bad reference.

That leaves me having to give a week's notice for my resignation. I was wondering whether I should print out my letter of resignation or email it directly to the People Manager at the place I work?
    You will need to give notice.
    Just tell the manager and hand them your printed resignation letter at the time. E-mail a copy to HR for good measure. Its only a week and people leave all the time.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Just tell the manager and hand them your printed resignation letter at the time. E-mail a copy to HR for good measure. Its only a week and people leave all the time.
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    I rarely see the manager for the department I work in so I’m not sure if handing in a printed letter would be the best option. I could hand it to one of the people “in charge” to pass it on but they’re unreliable.

Also what makes it more difficult is that I’d have to go into work on a day where I have scheduled seminars and lectures that I have to attend. I tried to request a change of hours but they did nothing for the past 2 weeks. So I’m leaning more towards emailing it to the People Manager since she was involved in my initial training.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by VerumThrowaway)
    I rarely see the manager for the department I work in so I’m not sure if handing in a printed letter would be the best option. I could hand it to one of the people “in charge” to pass it on but they’re unreliable.

Also what makes it more difficult is that I’d have to go into work on a day where I have scheduled seminars and lectures that I have to attend. I tried to request a change of hours but they did nothing for the past 2 weeks. So I’m leaning more towards emailing it to the People Manager since she was involved in my initial training.
    Put it om his desk or leave it with the secretary. It will get to him. If you dont want to give note ice then don't its up to you. You can claim you were ill.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.