The Student Room Group

Why is everyone on here taking like 85 GCSEs?

Hi, so I'm quite young and haven't yet chose what I wanna do for GCSE, but have a vague idea. Maths, English lang+ lit, triple science, German, history, drama and something else that's quite weak like media studies or sociology. I'm planning on completing DofE, working towards a guitar grade 4 by year eleven. I also wanna work part time when I'm fourteen. That's reasonable in my opinion, but I see people on here doing about 20+ GCSEs and I wonder why? It seems kinda pointless if you ask me. If you're doing 10+ or 12+ GCSEs can you please reply with what you're doing and where you hope it'll get you? Thanks.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by JayaSudhakarx
Hi, so I'm quite young and haven't yet chose what I wanna do for GCSE, but have a vague idea. Maths, English lang+ lit, triple science, German, history, drama and something else that's quite weak like media studies or sociology. I'm planning on completing DofE, working towards a guitar grade 4 by year eleven. I also wanna work part time when I'm fourteen. That's reasonable in my opinion, but I see people on here doing about 20+ GCSEs and I wonder why? It seems kinda pointless if you ask me. If you're doing 10+ or 12+ GCSEs can you please reply with what you're doing and where you hope it'll get you? Thanks.

I don't think I've seen anyone with more than 20...I have 12 full GCSEs, one GCSE equivalent, 2 short course GCSEs and a FSMQ and that's the most I've seen. That was all done in timetabled lessons but weren't all done in year 11, which was just how my school worked.
Any more than 12 is entirely pointless unless you're still getting the A*s/9s in them which most people wouldn't be. Your 10 will be plenty for anything so I wouldn't worry about what everyone else is doing, just concentrate on yourself :smile:
Very few people do more than 12, even on here.

It frankly won't matter.
I left school (late 90's) with 16 gcses but I didn't take 16 courses. I received 3c's for English and 2 for science.
so don't worry about it.
Reply 4
I don't know anyone who has done more than 11 subjects for GCSE
Never heard of people taking more than about 15-16. I took 11.
Reply 6
Because schools make it sound as though the world will end for you if you don't have 9000+ qualifications as high as they'll go.
Reply 7

Some people keep going and want to keep their options open. The more you have the better and if they feel they can cope with it all then let them. It's their choice :smile:
im sure the standard for english schools was 10/11? who are you looking at that does 20 gcses lmao

Quick Reply

Latest