The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open university

HI
Im new here and I need advice this going to be long so I'm very sorry about that but please bear with me I have 2 questions.
1. I want to be a professor in history someday and was wondering if the open university would be a good way of acheaving this or would I be better going to the traditional bricks and mortar uni.
2. I have autism and dyslexia and was wondering if anyone had any experience of using the open university and what support they offer . Any information would be greatly appreciated and oncertified again I'm sorry about the length of this have a nice day everyone.
Reply 1
Hi,

1. Yes, of course going through OU would be a great way of achieving your career goal. Assuming you haven't already got an undergrad degree - OU does do History (assuming again, that this is what you'd probably want to take?). I'm not exactly sure what qualifications a professor needs, but OU does do masters, PhDs etc if you want to think that far ahead =)

2. The OU support for mental/physical disabilities, learning difficulties, mental health etc is great. They have a designated Student Support team which can 'assess' your needs before you start your course and offer help and advice that you might need. For example, they can send you printed material for most of your online module material if reading from a computer screen is hard, and I know an OU student who has a computer download that reads the module material out loud because reading is difficult for them. There are lots of different types of support they offer, I couldn't list them all :P The Student Support team is always a phone-call or email away and always ready to help

https://help.open.ac.uk/overcoming-barriers-to-study-if-you-have-a-disability-or-health-condition

[video="youtube;StPFp_eQbpc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StPFp_eQbpc[/video]

I hope I helped!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Also this might be helpful:

[video="youtube;Fk23EnwGoRc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk23EnwGoRc[/video]
1) The Open University is 42nd in the world university rankings for the United Kingdom. It is on par and I am studying Literature currently and the deliverance is brilliant. I feel engaged and the lecturers are brilliant, they seem to be passionate about delivering higher education. Moving from the OU to a brick university to study an MA is easy. I have contacted over 30 universities to discuss this and not one university has discredited or held the degree at a lower regard. The University of Durham even let me speak to the professor who is head of the MA English course and they welcomed a future OU graduate. She commented on how she enjoyed teaching English to OU graduates as they show initiative and an ability to work independently. Have you already started with the OU? If you want, I could show you some of my notes/textbooks. We would be doing the same modules. You could do an OU B.A and then postgraduate at another university. You could do B.A and M.A with the OU and then do a Ph.D. at a physical university. The degree is held high, I am seriously impressed with my course.

2) I have Crohn's. It is not at all similar to your conditions, but I have experience with how they operate. They are super, they have always been fantastic at dispelling my worries and concerns about attending physical tutorials. The OU has a 24/7 library that you can call in for help locating academic journals. My tutor is very snappy with email responses. If I need anything quickly, he takes phone calls.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest