Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im still doing A-levels and i got offers for MEng which is a 4 year course, but i was thinking down the line if my mind changed could i leave my course after BEng and pursue a different course for masters. And does the masters have to be related to the previous course say:
    completed BEng in Mechanical and then go on do masters in economics or politics?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by assassinbunny123)
    Im still doing A-levels and i got offers for MEng which is a 4 year course, but i was thinking down the line if my mind changed could i leave my course after BEng and pursue a different course for masters. And does the masters have to be related to the previous course say:
    completed BEng in Mechanical and then go on do masters in economics or politics?
    1. Yes you can usually ask them to switch you to the lower course.
    2. The masters has entry requirements and you may or may not have them. Often they are related to having studied similar at ug level, but not always.

ReputationRep:
    the masters has to be slightly related
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You can usually switch between BEng and MEng until you start 3rd year (or by the end of 2nd year, depending on how you look at it).

The master's will need to be closely related, as someone with an engineering degree this will pretty much limit you to engineering, though management could potentially be an option, Law via a GDL is also available to anyone. You wouldn't be able to do economics or politics though as the subject needs to be slightly related. The only situation I could see either of those being viable is if you had studied control engineering and went on to do a PhD in economics as I know some topics from control are being increasingly used for market prediction.

You can also get onto master's courses by using your work experience to meet the entry requirements, though this would mean a couple of years in a related field after graduation.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yes you can finish with a BEng and pursue a different masters if you want. Whether said masters degree has to be related to your bachelors really depends on what field it's in - entry requirements can vary. For example, economics or politics after engineering would probably be quite unlikely; however, something like automotive or aerospace engineering after BEng in mechanical would be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    You wouldn't be able to do economics or politics though as the subject needs to be slightly related. The only situation I could see either of those being viable is if you had studied control engineering and went on to do a PhD in economics as I know some topics from control are being increasingly used for market prediction.
    You could definitely do an MSc in economics with a bachelor's in engineering and you'll have some options for politics too.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Student-95)
    You could definitely do an MSc in economics with a bachelor's in engineering and you'll have some options for politics too.
    No. Looking at the first page of hits on google for MSc economics courses in the UK, all 7 universities required that you completed an undergraduate degree in either economics, mathematics, or a degree with significant economics content.

For Politics there seems to be more wiggle room with Manchester and Essex being open to people with any degree, however the rest require politics, social sciences, or another related discipline.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    No. Looking at the first page of hits on google for MSc economics courses in the UK, all 7 universities required that you completed an undergraduate degree in either economics, mathematics, or a degree with significant economics content.

For Politics there seems to be more wiggle room with Manchester and Essex being open to people with any degree, however the rest require politics, social sciences, or another related discipline.
    UCL Economics MSc: "Applicants with a qualification of an equivalent standard in another quantitative discipline, such as statistics, mathematics, engineering or physics, may also be considered."

Surrey Economics MSc: "Applicants who have a joint degree in economics and a related discipline, or a degree in mathematics, statistics, physics, chemistry, engineering or computer science should normally hold a UK 2:1 degree (or overseas equivalent)."

Bath Economics MSc: "To apply for this course you should have an undergraduate degree in either economics or an appropriate quantitative subject such as engineering, computer science, mathematics or physics."

All on the first page of Google...
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 7, 2018

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.