Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should you be obliged to tell your parents what mock grades you got? watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If they asked and I said to them, I did really well, I'm really happy with it, or I'm disappointed with it, do you think that's reasonable? After all, what matters is how you feel about your grade, it's you who needs to decide whether you need to work harder to get into uni, or should feel proud of what of you've achieved. Who cares whether it fulfills their expectations? Bearing in mind that they will do nothing to help if you screwed up your exam, and will give you very little emotional support or compliment no matter what response they got from you (because they don't think you need it). Do I have a point or would it not be right to do this? I'd like to hear your opinions.

ReputationRep:
    If they won't help there is no point telling them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mystelle)
    If they asked and I said to them, I did really well, I'm really happy with it, or I'm disappointed with it, do you think that's reasonable? After all, what matters is how you feel about your grade, whether you think you need to work harder or feel proud about it. Who cares whether it fulfills their expectations? Bearing in mind that they will do nothing about it and will give you very little emotional support or compliment no matter what response they got from you. Do I have a point or would it not be right to do this? I'd like to hear your opinions.
    You could say that, but then they might say: "OK, what grades did you get?"
    My mum wanted to find out what I got in my mocks

ReputationRep:
    What the hell do they teach you kids and put in your heads nowadays in schools?

Liberanazism and all about me?

Lord!

ReputationRep:
    No you do not have to tell them. It's a mock and the purpose of it is to highlight area on where you're struggling.

You are old enough to be in charge of your own decisions and education.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    If they asked and I said to them, I did really well, I'm really happy with it, or I'm disappointed with it, do you think that's reasonable? After all, what matters is how you feel about your grade, it's you who needs to decide whether you need to work harder to get into uni, or should feel proud of what of you've achieved. Who cares whether it fulfills their expectations? Bearing in mind that they will do nothing to help if you screwed up your exam, and will give you very little emotional support or compliment no matter what response they got from you (because they don't think you need it). Do I have a point or would it not be right to do this? I'd like to hear your opinions.
    Relationships between parents and children are different in every case. I know someone who didn't have supportive parents and it's kind of screwed them up a bit emotionally. I on the other hand have very supportive parents who wouldn't care what grade I got as long as I worked hard. Bear in mind, they are entitled to ask what the grade was. The usual method was to tell them the grade, and follow that by how you feel and your plan of action if you're not happy. That tended to stop them lecturing about what I needed to do.

PM if you want.:hugs:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I used to tell my parent whatever the grade but even if I wouldn't have they always sent progress cards with your mock grades and target grades and stuff on after every big mock.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I didn't tell them (not because I didn't do well) because your mock grade means nothing, and only the real exam counts and the end of the day.

I'm not going to tell them mine. I thought I did decent, but I for sure know they'll be disappointed as they have very high expectations
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Relationships between parents and children are different in every case. I know someone who didn't have supportive parents and it's kind of screwed them up a bit emotionally. I on the other hand have very supportive parents who wouldn't care what grade I got as long as I worked hard. Bear in mind, they are entitled to ask what the grade was. The usual method was to tell them the grade, and follow that by how you feel and your plan of action if you're not happy. That tended to stop them lecturing about what I needed to do.

PM if you want.:hugs:
    Thank you for being so understanding ^.^

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to know what my partner's daughter got as I'm actually tutoring her in Maths and the sciences, so it was important I knew and could go through the paper with her to know what she was struggling on

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.