Turn on thread page Beta
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I left a shopping carpark and after noticed a scratch, I don't know if I scratched someone's car or they've scratched my car. I've reported it to the non-emergency police department and they've taken my detail.
    If the person reports it and the car park has cctv, and the worst case scenario is I've scratched it, would I be charged with drive off a scene of accident?
    the person on the phone didn't say whether reporting it would be the end of it, and I'm paranoid af

ReputationRep:
    I think you would have noticed if you scratched it. Common culprit for this I have noticed is car doors. Did you swing your door slightly wide when you opened It? If you didn't then I doubt you will have been the reason of the scratch.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    I left a shopping carpark and after noticed a scratch, I don't know if I scratched someone's car or they've scratched my car. I've reported it to the non-emergency police department and they've taken my detail.
    If the person reports it and the car park has cctv, and the worst case scenario is I've scratched it, would I be charged with drive off a scene of accident?
    the person on the phone didn't say whether reporting it would be the end of it, and I'm paranoid af
    If you reported it to the control room, you've covered all your bases legally.

ReputationRep:
    You've done what you're supposed to buy if the scratch is on your car, chances are they've banged you lol.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    If you reported it to the control room, you've covered all your bases legally.
    how long has the other person got to report it before the police dont really care anymore?

ReputationRep:
    how long has the other person got to report it before the police dont really care anymore?
    Well really they're supposed to do it immediately, there's no time limit I can think of but something tells me they won't bother chasing it if he calls up in 2 months time "someone scratched me car a couple of months back..."
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    As above, you’ve done the right thing and covered yourself legally.

I doubt someone would claim over a scratch, but anyhow you have nothing to worry about now you’ve reported it to 101.

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.