Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'll be starting an Access to HE course in September, and shortly afterwards making my UCAS applications for a child nursing place. In addition to the entry requirements on the university websites I know that having some work or voluntary experience is beneficial. Will having completed a St John's paediatric first aid course be a helpful addition? It's something I'll have to pay for myself, but I'm thinking of doing one anyway as I'm currently looking for voluntary work with different children's organisations and I feel it would be useful for those applications anyway. Just wondering if it will have an added benefit to helping with my uni applications.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by SmilingWombat)
    I'll be starting an Access to HE course in September, and shortly afterwards making my UCAS applications for a child nursing place. In addition to the entry requirements on the university websites I know that having some work or voluntary experience is beneficial. Will having completed a St John's paediatric first aid course be a helpful addition? It's something I'll have to pay for myself, but I'm thinking of doing one anyway as I'm currently looking for voluntary work with different children's organisations and I feel it would be useful for those applications anyway. Just wondering if it will have an added benefit to helping with my uni applications.
    It would definitely be beneficial I would think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    It would definitely be beneficial I would think
    Thank you, that's good to know
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    It may be beneficial, but not doing it shouldn't harm your application. It's really up to you to decide whether the cost is worth it. You will be taught basic life support as part of your degree, so it may give you a slight head start. Generally the most important thing is your work experience and how you talk about it in your personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm a student children's nurse. It would be a nice thing to write on your personal statement at least, but in terms of interviews they mostly want to hear about your caring experience/any experiences with children - having a paeds first aid certificate would show you've got an interest in the area, however isn't really showing the qualities you have that will make you a good nurse - like compassion, patience etc. So definitely do it if it's going to help you secure voluntary experience but the voluntary experience is the most important thing. Good luck! Any ideas of which universities you want to apply to yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bethaaaaany)
    Hi, I'm a student children's nurse. It would be a nice thing to write on your personal statement at least, but in terms of interviews they mostly want to hear about your caring experience/any experiences with children - having a paeds first aid certificate would show you've got an interest in the area, however isn't really showing the qualities you have that will make you a good nurse - like compassion, patience etc. So definitely do it if it's going to help you secure voluntary experience but the voluntary experience is the most important thing. Good luck! Any ideas of which universities you want to apply to yet?
    Thank you for this feedback, I really appreciate it. I've decided to sign up to the first aid course anyway as I feel it will be helpful for me if I'm doing voluntary work with children, and gaining any knowledge is never a waste of time. I'll be applying to Surrey University and Brighton University. How are you enjoying the degree, has there been any aspect of it that you hadn't expected which suprised you about studying child nursing?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for this feedback, I really appreciate it. I've decided to sign up to the first aid course anyway as I feel it will be helpful for me if I'm doing voluntary work with children, and gaining any knowledge is never a waste of time. I'll be applying to Surrey University and Brighton University. How are you enjoying the degree, has there been any aspect of it that you hadn't expected which suprised you about studying child nursing?
    Brilliant, that sounds like a really good plan. Oh that's funny - I'm a second year at Surrey! I absolutely love it. It's a hard old slog, we're permanently knackered but we are supported by the most wonderful small team of children's nursing tutors who are excellent in both an academic and pastoral setting. I've been unwell with mental health difficulties (not related to nursing, I'll reassure you!) since the start of my second year and I could not have asked for more kindness or better support from the child nursing team.

What surprised me the most was how much I enjoyed and took to the placement side of things - I was really concerned I would struggle, especially as a 18 year old school leaver straight from A Levels, as I've always been more academic but the practical/placement stuff has been my favourite so far. I've just finished a 10 week placement in A&E and I'm not in placement again until May and miss it already! It's a lovely course flow. We were taught as a big group with all branches of nursing/paramedics/midwives etc. for our first year in small seminar groups and it was brilliant because it was such a huge range of abilities, skill sets and so many different ages and types of people. This year we have 2 child specific modules and 2 general so we have best of both worlds and I'm enjoying that a lot. The really special thing about Surrey also is that our opportunities for learning via simulation are massive - in first year we had a whole day per week that we spent in the simulation lab of the nursing school. That was invaluable to gain all the skills we needed for placement.

I couldn't sing the university's praises any more basically!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bethaaaaany)
    Brilliant, that sounds like a really good plan. Oh that's funny - I'm a second year at Surrey! I absolutely love it. It's a hard old slog, we're permanently knackered but we are supported by the most wonderful small team of children's nursing tutors who are excellent in both an academic and pastoral setting. I've been unwell with mental health difficulties (not related to nursing, I'll reassure you!) since the start of my second year and I could not have asked for more kindness or better support from the child nursing team.

What surprised me the most was how much I enjoyed and took to the placement side of things - I was really concerned I would struggle, especially as a 18 year old school leaver straight from A Levels, as I've always been more academic but the practical/placement stuff has been my favourite so far. I've just finished a 10 week placement in A&E and I'm not in placement again until May and miss it already! It's a lovely course flow. We were taught as a big group with all branches of nursing/paramedics/midwives etc. for our first year in small seminar groups and it was brilliant because it was such a huge range of abilities, skill sets and so many different ages and types of people. This year we have 2 child specific modules and 2 general so we have best of both worlds and I'm enjoying that a lot. The really special thing about Surrey also is that our opportunities for learning via simulation are massive - in first year we had a whole day per week that we spent in the simulation lab of the nursing school. That was invaluable to gain all the skills we needed for placement.

I couldn't sing the university's praises any more basically!
    It's lovely to hear this feedback about Surrey and how much you're enjoying it there. Surrey is my 1st choice so I really hope I'm successful at getting a place with them, I've heard so many good things about them. I'm sorry to hear of your mental health difficulties, it's a big step going on to university at a young age so it must have been difficult for you, but great that they have support in place to help you through it. Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience on the course, I feel excited about starting already, but I need to take one step at a time and get through my Access course first. All the best with your studies

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.