Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hi all,

I got the mirena IUD inserted from my local family planning clinic 5 days ago. 3 days after I had it inserted I (tmi) felt for the strings in my vagina and only found 1 (or two if they were stuck together) coming out of my cervix, less than a cm long. I then had sex 3 days after it was inserted (it was safe as i was on my period when it was inserted meaning i was protected), and since then I haven't been able to feel the string properly and if it is the string i am feeling, it feels curled up to one side. I also got cramps after both times i have had sex, implying to me that the IUD is still there as it was the same cramps i got after insertion.

Any advice?
    • Peer Support Volunteers

Peer Support Volunteers
    It is possibly still settling in your womb. You will have a check up with your nurse 6 weeks after insertion to make sure if everything is ok. However, if you are worried, go back to your nurse and request an ultrasound. I had to do that myself since I couldn't feel my threads after a week (at the start, I was able to). I still can't now but the ultrasound put my mind to rest.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2018
What's the best type of cheese?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.