Siksha1906
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello, I am currently in my last year of high school. I want to pursue a career in veterinary medicine.
I really want to know the entire process for e.g the undergraduate and post graduate courses i should do to become a vet, Wether the undergraduate and postgraduate courses i take should be in the same college or not, do I need work experience. And also the number of years it takes and the cost.

I have done some research on colleges websites and i’m getting really confused. If anyone could help it would be great thanks.
I do Physics Chemistry and Maths at A level.
GP and Computer Science at As level. Did biology at O-level

(There are no vet schools in my country and the university here offers BSc course. Most probably i will be an international student)
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Siksha1906)
Hello, I am currently in my last year of high school. I want to pursue a career in veterinary medicine.
I really want to know the entire process for e.g the undergraduate and post graduate courses i should do to become a vet, Wether the undergraduate and postgraduate courses i take should be in the same college or not, do I need work experience. And also the number of years it takes and the cost.

I have done some research on colleges websites and i’m getting really confused. If anyone could help it would be great thanks.

(There are no vet schools in my country and the university here offers BSc course. Most probably i will be an international student)
Hey there:hi:

I've moved your thread into the fabulous Veterinary Medicine and sciences, have a look at the threads stuck at the top of the forum (this might be easier to do online rather than the app) for guidance.

I'm not sure how up-to-date it is, but this may also help:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wik...inary_Medicine
username2703735
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am unsure where you are from but not all courses will class themselves as a BVSc (bachelor of veterinary science) so double check to ensure that none offer the course under a different category, DVM for example.
If you have the required A level results/predictions there is no need to do an undergraduate degree in something else first. In the UK you can go straight into the 5 year veterinary course which will enable you to practise as a vet upon graduation. If you do not make the grades or pass the interview process there are other options such as an undergraduate degree in bioveterinary sciences and then applying as a postgraduate. This will be a far more costly process.
If you are an international applicant then it is definitely worth checking the fees as some universities charge a lot more compared to UK students. An English applicant typically pays £9,000 per year as tuition fees (covered in a loan but again I do not know international specifics).

On the A levels front it depends which schools you wish to apply for, most will expect A level biology while others are not as fussed about this.
You will need the minimum weeks work experience that the universities you apply for recommend (listed on their websites) and yet in reality far more than this to be competitive. If this is the field you wish to enter I would advise you to do a lot more research on it and definitely gain work experience to know it truly is for you.
Siksha1906
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thank you. I am from Mauritius
Little Tail Chaser
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Siksha1906)

In the UK: Most undergraduate veterinary medicine courses are five years long. As an international applicant I don't believe you will be eligible for any of the six year programs. Fees per will be roughly £25-34k per year depending where you go. Yes, work experience is a requirement; universities have their requirements on their individual websites (between 4-6 weeks), but realistically most successful applicants will do a lot more than this. It would also be possible to do an undergrad science degree (BSc) followed by an accelerated four-year postgraduate vet program, for example those offered at RVC and Edinburgh. This would make the total study time seven years. It does not matter where you do your undergrad degree or if it's at the same university as where you hope to study vet med (and be aware that completion of a BSc at an instituition is absolutely not a guarantee of a place to study vet med there).

Sidenote as I know this can be a source of confusion: veterinary medicine and veterinary science are the same thing. The degree also has multiple abbreviations e.g. BVetMed (RVC), BVM&S (Edinburgh) etc. This used to be so that each vet school had a different abbreviation but this is no longer the case. Any course with UCAS code D100, D101, D102 or D190 will allow you to qualify as a vet upon completion.

Elsewhere: The system is very different elsewhere, for example in the United States you cannot study veterinary medicine as an undergrad; it is compulsory to do a degree first. Fees here vary a lot between universities and depending on where you are coming from. I believe Australia's system is similar to the UK. Multiple universities in mainland Europe (e.g. Kosice, Brno, Budapest, Warsaw and a few others) offer the vet med course taught in English. The courses there are between four and six years depending on whether you have an undergrad degree.

At current I don't think there are any UK vet schools that will accept you with your A level subject combination. My suggestions would be to take a gap year to sit A level biology in one year and get some work experience in. By all means contact the admissions departments for any universities you are considering to see what they advise, though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
31.06%
No - I have already returned home (21)
13.04%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (35)
21.74%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
8.7%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25.47%

Watched Threads