Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What do u rate dating apps out of 10? Why watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I rate them Zero and that’s because everyone is constantly looking for someone perfect and never happy by what they have. Then as soon as they meet up someone lose the spark few weeks later to start the whole cycle again with someone new and so on. I’ve tried match.com and unfortunately the same people on other apps where on match.com so it didn’t make difference. They all want to settle, they all want partner, they all want something meaningful but everyone looks for an excuse to break up as soon as the relationship starts.

And the other thing I really hate is that usually those who likes us we don’t like them because they are not our type. And those we love we are not their type
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    It's because there's just so many people to choose from, the competition is high and it's very easy to get ghosted/ditched because they might have met someone 'better' than you. It's fairly frequent, no matter how well your dates have gone.

It's hard to rate them collectively since a lot of them are for different things but it's important to say what you want early on so there's no confusion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flexchm)
    I rate them Zero and that’s because everyone is constantly looking for someone perfect and never happy by what they have. Then as soon as they meet up someone lose the spark few weeks later to start the whole cycle again with someone new and so on. I’ve tried match.com and unfortunately the same people on other apps where on match.com so it didn’t make difference. They all want to settle, they all want partner, they all want something meaningful but everyone looks for an excuse to break up as soon as the relationship starts.

And the other thing I really hate is that usually those who likes us we don’t like them because they are not our type. And those we love we are not their type
    If you take away the dating aspect and look at them as any other website or app, ask yourself what is the e-business model that websites and apps rely on? The answer is usage; as many people as possible engaging with the website or app as often as possible.

This model would not work very well if dating sites/apps had a high success rate with creating long lasting relationships, as it would mean that they are cannibalising their own user base. Once people find a relationship, they would stop using the site/app. In theory.

So in order to be successful, dating sites/apps rely on users coming back again and again. They don't really want you to have successful dates or any dates potentially, they just want you to keep using the site/app. Now if you are the kind of person who likes to date a lot of different people, that might suit you. If you want a relationship, it might not. If you are the kind of person who finds it hard to get a date, they will tantalise you with the promise that their platform is the best.

I realise this may seem slightly cynical, but when you hear the then head of OkCupid coming out and saying they built algorithms that intentionally mislead people in to believing they were well matched (when they weren't) and understand the commerce of Web 2.0, you see it for what it is: A business model that relies on you coming back for more.

I am aware that people occasionally do meet online and form long lasting relationships or just give up on dating apps, but I would guess that is built in to the business model somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jestersnow)
    If you take away the dating aspect and look at them as any other website or app, ask yourself what is the e-business model that websites and apps rely on? The answer is usage; as many people as possible engaging with the website or app as often as possible.

This model would not work very well if dating sites/apps had a high success rate with creating long lasting relationships, as it would mean that they are cannibalising their own user base. Once people find a relationship, they would stop using the site/app. In theory.

So in order to be successful, dating sites/apps rely on users coming back again and again. They don't really want you to have successful dates or any dates potentially, they just want you to keep using the site/app. Now if you are the kind of person who likes to date a lot of different people, that might suit you. If you want a relationship, it might not. If you are the kind of person who finds it hard to get a date, they will tantalise you with the promise that their platform is the best.

I realise this may seem slightly cynical, but when you hear the then head of OkCupid coming out and saying they built algorithms that intentionally mislead people in to believing they were well matched (when they weren't) and understand the commerce of Web 2.0, you see it for what it is: A business model that relies on you coming back for more.

I am aware that people occasionally do meet online a form long lasting relationships or just give up on dating apps, but I would guess that is built in to the business model somewhere.
    Thanks for the reply, very true what u said.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.