Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    This is my current situation. I am an EU national, however, I have only been living in the UK for three years. I am planning on going to university next year and all the talks I have had so far about student finance has been mostly targeted at home students. I have been told that, if I apply for student finance I will only be eligible for tuition loan and not maintenance loan, however, my friend tells me I will be eligible for maintenance loan if I apply as a migrant worker, but I do not understand how I would apply as a migrant worker (I have been working for the past 2 years). Can someone please explain how to do this and if would be truly eligible for maintenance loan as a migrant worker.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Byiadom)
    Hello,
    This is my current situation. I am an EU national, however, I have only been living in the UK for three years. I am planning on going to university next year and all the talks I have had so far about student finance has been mostly targeted at home students. I have been told that, if I apply for student finance I will only be eligible for tuition loan and not maintenance loan, however, my friend tells me I will be eligible for maintenance loan if I apply as a migrant worker, but I do not understand how I would apply as a migrant worker (I have been working for the past 2 years). Can someone please explain how to do this and if would be truly eligible for maintenance loan as a migrant worker.
    Hi Byiadom,

If you are an EU national you would have to be resident in the UK for 5 years prior to the first day of the first academic of your course to be eligible to apply for Maintenance Loan and Tuition Fee Loan.
    EU students who do not meet the required standard eligibility but are working in the UK maybe able to apply to be assessed for Student Finance England (SFE) funding for Maintenance Loan and Tuition Fee Loan as Migrant Worker.
    You would have to provide evidence of employment and evidence that you will continue to be employed while you are still studying to maintain Migrant Worker status.
    You will have to provide the below evidence along with your completed PN1 application.

• The students original Passport or National ID Card
    • A copy of the students contract of employment that accurately represents their contracted hours and pay. We will also need a letter from the employer confirming the contract accurately represents the hours and terms of which the student works if this is not confirmed on their contract of employment or if the student is on a zero hour contract. This letter needs to be signed by a member of the Human Resources Department or their Manager (we may verify the students employment status with their employer).
    • The students last 3 months payslips (if available).
    • The students most recent P60 (if available).
    • Termly evidence.
    • Applications for courses starting in September 2018/19 academic year will be available from mid February/march onwards.

Thanks

Louise

ReputationRep:
    Hi Louise, thanks for the response, however, how do I demonstrate that I will continue to work when I will be transferring to another city for university. At the moment, I am working two jobs, one with which Iwhich does not offer contracts but a letters stating I'm a current worker and I can be transferred to the city where I will be attending university. With the other, I do have a contract, but once I move, the only way I can show that I will continue to work is when I will come back during Christmas and easter to work. Is that acceptable, or if I can prove that I will be leaving my job as a career to pursue a Nursing degree or I am financially dependent on my parent, would that count?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Louise, thanks for the response, however, how do I demonstrate that I will continue to work when I will be transferring to another city for university. At the moment, I am working two jobs, one with which Iwhich does not offer contracts but a letters stating I'm a current worker and I can be transferred to the city where I will be attending university. With the other, I do have a contract, but once I move, the only way I can show that I will continue to work is when I will come back during Christmas and easter to work. Is that acceptable, or if I can prove that I will be leaving my job as a career to pursue a Nursing degree or I am financially dependent on my parent, would that count?
    Hi Byiadom ,
    If you will not be working with your current employer and you would be changing employer when you move city, you would have to provide evidence of employment with your new employer. Copy of contract or letter from employer and at least 3 months payslips.
    If your Parents are in the UK and they are EU/EEA nationals and working then we could assess you for Migrant Worker funding based on your parents working in the UK.
    If this is not the case and you would not be employed at the time you apply to Student Finance you would only be eligible for EU Tuition Fee Loan.
    Thanks

Louise

ReputationRep:
    Hi Louise
    So the maintenance I will receive will be based upon my parents income rather than my own and how much maintenance loan can I be eligible for if my parents income is under 25,000?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Louise
    So the maintenance I will receive will be based upon my parents income rather than my own and how much maintenance loan can I be eligible for if my parents income is under 25,000?
    Hi Byiadom,

The amount of Maintenance Loan student's will receive would depend on several factors and circumstances .
    When will your course start?
    What University and course will you be studying?
    What age will you be prior to the Start of your course?
    And if you are applying as the child of an EU/EEA Migrant Worker will they be working throughout your studies ?

Thanks

Louise

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I highly doubt it, nonetheless, If I’m accessed do I have to have my all means a contracted working job or could I have a simple letter from my employer signed that I am a current employee and work a certain amount of hours
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi,
    I highly doubt it, nonetheless, If I’m accessed do I have to have my all means a contracted working job or could I have a simple letter from my employer signed that I am a current employee and work a certain amount of hours
    Hi Byiadom,

We would require the following evidence if you wish to apply as a Migrant Worker student for your application to be considered.
    • The students original Passport or National ID Card.
    • A copy of the students contract of employment that accurately represents their contracted hours and pay. We will also need a letter from the employer confirming the contract accurately represents the hours and terms of which the student works if this is not confirmed on their contract of employment or if the student is on a zero hour contract. This letter needs to be signed by a member of the Human Resources Department or their Manager (we may verify the students employment status with their employer).
    • The students last 3 months payslips.
    • The students most recent P60 (if available).

Thanks

Louise

ReputationRep:
    Hi Byiadom , I have the same problem. Only 4 years in the UK. Single parent family. Mum will be working throughout my studies. Planning to insure Bristol or Warwick. Is there a specific threshold of income my mum has to meet yearly while I am at uni? Also, do benefits count towards household income or only salary ?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by coreHelp)
    Hi Byiadom , I have the same problem. Only 4 years in the UK. Single parent family. Mum will be working throughout my studies. Planning to insure Bristol or Warwick. Is there a specific threshold of income my mum has to meet yearly while I am at uni? Also, do benefits count towards household income or only salary ?
    Hi CoreHelp,

There is actually no specific income threshold to be accepted as a Migrant Worker, it is taken on a case by case basis and if what the Migrant Worker earns could be considered enough to live on.

When assessing the income, it is only the income from salary/self employed that is used, benefits are not included.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.

ReputationRep:
    Hi John,
    Could I please ask how much is considered enough for a migrant worker to be leaving on. And what if I leave with other family members, who occasionally contribute to my rent?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi John,
    Could I please ask how much is considered enough for a migrant worker to be leaving on. And what if I leave with other family members, who occasionally contribute to my rent?
    Hi Byiadom,

There is actually no set figure when we assess the level of household income for a Migrant Worker. The work must be genuine and effective and the income must be considered enough to live on.

Kind regards,

John.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.