Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

GCSE's are the hardest set of exams to juggle. Discuss watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The fact that there are so many GCSE's to juggle makes them the hardest in my opinion. Harder than A levels at least! The fact you're studying a broad range of different subjects also means it's easier to lose focus or focus on some to the exclusion of others.

I also think such a huge deal is made of these exams that it makes young people feel like this time in their lives is their ONLY chance to ever make anything of themselves.

Thoughts?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    GCSEs are your first set of exams that mean anything. Some students will have done things like drama or music, but other than that exam experience is limited to things like SATS which aren't as important and are also a long time ago.

So GCSEs can feel overwhelming because of this. You've not got any experience of sitting in an exam hall or completing revision timetables. You don't want to do worse than your friends and get left behind when they go off to college/6th form.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe. I've never found exams particularly troublesome, so it's not something that I've ever thought about.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i remember GCSEs. I worked very hard but didnt like some subjects.

ReputationRep:
    From my experience, GCSEs are the most stressful and intense exam period. If you get through them fine, you'll be fine with everything afterwards. At the end of Year 11 I had 20+ exams in total. After that the total in any one exam period never even reached double figures. Though I expect A Levels going linear probably makes them a bit worse now than in the modular days.

When you get to uni, exam rules are noticeably more relaxed (short of actual cheating, most things which are disqualifying offences in school exams are slap-on-the-wrist offences in uni exams), and generally decline the further you get - I had 6 exams in first year, 3 in second, 2 in third and none in my Masters.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    Meh, I see it as the point when you learn to juggle your time efficiently. The content for GCSEs are not that hard, and it would require half decent organisational skills to keep on top of stuff. Even if you’re bad at that, it sort of gives a good idea that you should probably endeavour to manage yourself better. Gone are the days now where you spent your time doing abusable CA/ Coursework; yes you may have 20+ exams in year 11 but you may have 9-12 exams for A level which are much longer exams
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    From my experience, GCSEs are the most stressful and intense exam period. If you get through them fine, you'll be fine with everything afterwards. At the end of Year 11 I had 20+ exams in total. After that the total in any one exam period never even reached double figures. Though I expect A Levels going linear probably makes them a bit worse now than in the modular days.

When you get to uni, exam rules are noticeably more relaxed (short of actual cheating, most things which are disqualifying offences in school exams are slap-on-the-wrist offences in uni exams), and generally decline the further you get - I had 6 exams in first year, 3 in second, 2 in third and none in my Masters.
    Lecturers also know what is going to be on the exam becuase they make them

Hence why you should do the tutorial questions. Well that's my experience anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I agree that they're tough: the volume of information plus the frequency/proximity of exams in the given schedule.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CountBrandenburg)
    Meh, I see it as the point when you learn to juggle your time efficiently. The content for GCSEs are not that hard, and it would require half decent organisational skills to keep on top of stuff. Even if you’re bad at that, it sort of gives a good idea that you should probably endeavour to manage yourself better. Gone are the days now where you spent your time doing abusable CA/ Coursework; yes you may have 20+ exams in year 11 but you may have 9-12 exams for A level which are much longer exams
    Exactly but they expect you to complete them between 3 - 1 years duration depending on if you are fast track in anything and so really you’ve said it would make people endeavour to improve their time management if they’re struggling to but... once you have your grade you have your grade and that’s where it feels like omg no room for improvement GCSE’s completed to unsatisfactory degree - life over. Rather than oh... well I could have done better I will improve next time. No next time... into the terrible person/student bin you go.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    GCSEs were more spread out than A Levels. I was fortunate enough to do the old GCSEs through, which meant coursework tended to matter. Now, exams matter a whole lot more and therefore I can understand this argument. A Levels for me was the most difficult but as I say, it's more ot do with the nature of the qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    You have more subjects and exams but the content is watery

So if you know a little about lots of subjects, you’ll be fine
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)
    Exactly but they expect you to complete them between 3 - 1 years duration depending on if you are fast track in anything and so really you’ve said it would make people endeavour to improve their time management if they’re struggling to but... once you have your grade you have your grade and that’s where it feels like omg no room for improvement GCSE’s completed to unsatisfactory degree - life over. Rather than oh... well I could have done better I will improve next time. No next time... into the terrible person/student bin you go.
    The thing is, it makes little sense to do a gcse early unless you’ve covered all the content. Yes people used to fast track but that Isn’t exactly advised, especially since when you think about it, it doesn’t look great that you’ve had to retry things. GCSEs aren’t the end of the world, you don’t technically need to decent in all of your subjects to actually have a good chance of applying to places a few years later. Therefore I don’t see it as someone being cast aside if they have a few below average gcse results ( indeed the odds are against them that they’ll get grades all below a pass) but it is a good introduction to the exam based system. We will always have things we regret and want to improve on... but thus is life and you move on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CountBrandenburg)
    The thing is, it makes little sense to do a gcse early unless you’ve covered all the content. Yes people used to fast track but that Isn’t exactly advised, especially since when you think about it, it doesn’t look great that you’ve had to retry things. GCSEs aren’t the end of the world, you don’t technically need to decent in all of your subjects to actually have a good chance of applying to places a few years later. Therefore I don’t see it as someone being cast aside if they have a few below average gcse results ( indeed the odds are against them that they’ll get grades all below a pass) but it is a good introduction to the exam based system. We will always have things we regret and want to improve on... but thus is life and you move on
    I’m not saying they are genuinely ‘cast aside’ if they don’t do that well that’s my point... they make out that it’s the case and like it’s the end of the world sometimes without informing all the kids at the school of all the options available to them.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.