Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently 16 and I have an unconditional offer to go to UWS (to study CyberSecurity). I'll be starting in September (and commuting)

What is Uni life really like??? - Is it better than school? Manageable work? Are lecturers always nagging you like school teachers do? What will a typical day be like?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    University is a time where you will be more independent. No parents telling you want to do - you have the freedom to do what you want. No teachers telling you what to do - lecturers will let you do your own reading and research, but they will offer help and feedback if needed. Largely, study is self-directed, and it is up to you to remain organised and motivated to complete assignments. If you can develop good study skills, the work is doable.

An average day will vary depending on what you are studying. Typically science degrees might consist of classes and lab work, you may have more contact hours. Humanities and art degrees usually have less hours, so a couple of lectures a day.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Since it’s been summarised perfectly I’ll drop a few hints
    - You won’t necessarily have the time of your life
    - Don’t expect to find friends for life, you don’t start to get these until you move out properly
    - Don’t do what I did the other day by leaving out washing up for longer than a few days, it will piss off your flatmates big time and will start to smell if it’s meat
    - Drink responsibly, you don’t have to go out every single night
    - If you find yourself in a dark place go straight to student wellbeing, it’s not just for kids with depression and anxiety

ReputationRep:
    In all honesty, it's pretty scary at first: Will I fit in? Am I clever enough for this course? How come so many other people know each other already?

The good thing for your own circumstances is that you'll have 4 years, in which time I'm sure you'll learn to take it all in your stride.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.